• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Clarks crystal into 36mm 114270 Exp-I (success!)

greg325i

Renowned Member
29/4/10
Since this has been asked a number of times recently, and I wanted to know too, I took my spare Clarks 295 and tried to fit it to my 36mm Exp-I. Mendota, this is for you - the Clarks 295 does fit on the 36mm Exp-I. I just installed it on mine a few minutes ago. Depending on your gasket, you may have to sand down the inner diameter of the bezel, at least at the bottom to get a start over the gasket.

The Clarks visually appears a tad wider than the stock, press-in crystal/gasket combo, in part because the crystal snaps into the gasket differently (Clarks gasket too). It looks a TON better because the Clarks has the polished edges to the crystal, where the stock one has opaque edges that a less smooth.

Before anyone asks, I don't know what height gasket I used. I had an assortment, and I was initially going to go with a tall one, but it looked like it would be TOO tall. It was also a bit thicker, and would have required more sanding of the bezel. I opted for a size that I had multiple of, so I assume it's the standard size you'd use on a Sub. I hope that helps, and sorry I can't be more precise on that point. Just get a couple different sizes from Gary if you are unsure.

Sorry for the shitty pics, and also sorry I didn't think to get some "before" shots. Hope this helps, fellas!

Clarks006.jpg

Clarks005.jpg

Clarks004.jpg

Clarks003.jpg

Clarks001.jpg

justlounging

I'm Pretty Popular
14/10/10
very nice buddy..how did you remove the bezel?

i want to do this mod to my Exp I as well.. thanks!

greg325i

Renowned Member
29/4/10
To remove the bezel, just take a razor blade and place it at the spot just between the bezel and the case. Tap it with a little hammer, and work around the watch. Then, when you have a little gap, you can put a watch case seperating tool in there and do the same. It will pop off after a while.

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
Looks very good mate, I will be adding a link to this thread in the Rolex Explorer I WIKI page. Good work.

greg325i

Renowned Member
29/4/10
So what is the "crystal height issue" that people mention? It's often been said that this is one of the best out of the box reps, except for the crystal height issue. Mine is still about the same height above the bezel, but just wider now towards the bezel edge. This is due to the difference in construction between the press-in crystal/gasket and the Clark's gen style.

Wonder if I should have made it higher?

justlounging

I'm Pretty Popular
14/10/10
this is how the crystal sits on the gen 14270 and 114270:

14270:
142702.jpg

114270:
rolexexplorer3.jpg

if you used the standard sub gasket, that should be 2.5mm (experts please chime in)..so perhaps a 2.7mm or 3.0mm gasket would produce a more pronounced crystal height..

Here's mine unmodded yet..but in need of one..crystal has chipped.. :frusty:

img2258gb.jpg

greg325i

Renowned Member
29/4/10
Excellent Post! Wow, the gen sits up REALLY high. I think you're right about the gastket I used, either 2.3 or 2.5 probably. I think the one I passed on using was a 2.7 or 3.0. Maybe I'll go back and put in a taller gasket now that I've seen your pics. Mine now looks like your stock one, but with a nicer-looking crystal with smoother sides and not LEC at 6.

Very helpful dude! Thanks!

Mendota

Put Some Respect On My Name
16/10/08
MN
Wow, awesome post! ;) Thanks for taking the time to put this together!

I'm impressed. These pics really show the difference the Clark makes with this watch. My first question would be I wonder if the Marvelous Replica, Trevor, Josh, and Puretime versions would all accept the Clark the same way?

This really makes a difference. Just eliminating the LEC alone makes it worthwhile.

Now we need the same sort of post using the crown as the example. :)

greg325i

Renowned Member
29/4/10
For the record, my Exp-I was sourced from MR, however my understanding is that there is only one factory making this watch anymore - they should all be the same.

I think that based on Justlounging's info, I may reach out to Gary Clark for an assortment of larger gaskets to try and further replicate the gen look.

justlounging

I'm Pretty Popular
14/10/10
Excellent Post! Wow, the gen sits up REALLY high. I think you're right about the gastket I used, either 2.3 or 2.5 probably. I think the one I passed on using was a 2.7 or 3.0. Maybe I'll go back and put in a taller gasket now that I've seen your pics. Mine now looks like your stock one, but with a nicer-looking crystal with smoother sides and not LEC at 6.

Very helpful dude! Thanks!

No prob..glad i could help..this crystal mod has been something i wanted to do, but other watches always took away the spotlight from the Explorer..

thanks to your thread, spotlight is back on the 14270.. :lol:

on a side note, now that you have done the crystal mod to your explorer, think you could assist me with mine? :)

greg325i

Renowned Member
29/4/10
I just put on a 2.7. It def. looks more like the gen pics that Mike posted. It almost seems too tall, like you can see a fraction of the gasket above the bezel edge. But I guess that is how they are?

The the first gasket I used was a Clark's 2.5, which looks like Mike's "unmodded" pic. It's also what is in my initial pics in this thread.

Mendota

Put Some Respect On My Name
16/10/08
MN
Greg, I forgot to ask you - while we are at it, since you took such great pics of yours can you post a few of the crown? Maybe a shot looking down, some from the side? I would love to see what your marvelous replica crown looks like.

Hope it's not too much trouble. :)

greg325i

Renowned Member
29/4/10
Sure Mendota. I'll try to get some posted up this evening when I get home. I'll try and get some shots of the 2.7mm gasket so you guys can see the difference too.

justlounging

I'm Pretty Popular
14/10/10
Greg: while you're at it, could you take some pics of the close up of the gasket that you mentioned is 'peeking' out above the bezel...would definitely be interesting to see..

alternatively i was thinking maybe use the same gasket but sand down the bezel, so that the crystal somehow 'sits' higher?

greg325i

Renowned Member
29/4/10
Here you go gents. I took the best pics I knew how to with my point-n-shoot. It has the 2.7mm gasket on it. Recall my initial pics in the first post are with the 2.5mm gasket. The jury is still out as to which one is better in my mind...keeping in mind I'm not exactly sure how the gens look. As I mentioned, you can see a little bit of the gasket sticking up over the bezel. Again, no clue as to whether this occurs on the gen, or if the gen just sticks up high because the crystal is thicker. Keep in mind, this Clark 295 crystal is spec for the sub. I doubt if this is meant to be a replacement for the Exp-I. I just happens to work. Either way, I PROMISE, that even up this high with a little gasket showing, it looks TONS better in the flesh than the stock one does. Again, I attribute this to the smooth edges to Clark's product, whereas the stock rep crystal has almost sandblasted-looking curves and edges...and the LEC staring you in the face. I tried to get a decent shot of the crown in the mix too. It's a pretty good rep crown - I've seen a LOT worse. Of course a gen would look better, but out-of-the-box, this is not a rep that NEEDS a new crown like some other models do.

On to the pics... (if you're so inclined, rep me up, brochachos - I'm tired of staring at one green dot when some jokers have tons more ;)

Exp-I013.jpg

Exp-I012.jpg

Exp-I010.jpg

Exp-I009.jpg

Exp-I008.jpg

Exp-I005.jpg

Exp-I016.jpg