• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Help please - replacing diamonds on Rolex Rainbow Daytona SS

BlossomboofyBoofystewie2

25/8/18
Australia
Hi Guys,

A while ago I bought a Rolex Rainbow Daytona S/S from Ryan at intime with the idea of modding it to make it look more gen. As an aside, I can’t believe the prices people are asking on ebay for SS Daytona Rainbows with non original dial and bezel ($US30 – 40K!).

My problem is: I used Moissanits on the SS case and it really just looks dull, they have no sparkle at all, basically, they look crap!. I really think the glass "diamonds" on the original rep from intime looked better. Obviously, I got a bad job! The dial and Bezel I put on are waaay better and as good as anything selling on ebay.

I’ve read all I can on the forum here and have found that I can’t get the answers I need - so here goes hoping you guys can help me:?
  1. If you guys were going to use gems to bling up this watch case what would you use? i.e. lab diamonds, real diamonds or Moisonite’s? I know you are going to say it depends on how much I spend but, in your opinion, what is a good “middle of the road” for a nice finish. Then what colour, grade, cut, size, etc. would you recommend?
  1. Here, in Australia, there doesn’t seem to be anywhere I can take the watch to, who can source the gems and then set them into the case in the same size, position, etc., similar to what Rolex do on the original white gold rainbow – can anyone on here help me with doing the job for me or know of a jeweller who can do it? I’m happy to send it overseas to be done.
Sorry guys if this all seems pretty basic to you but I really am stumped, so ANY help would be GREATLY appreciated! THANKS!!

BlueLineFarmer

I'm Pretty Popular
12/3/21
Hopefully you did not spend too much $$$$$ for the diamond and sapphire mods on the bezel and case as it looks very fake. They look like broken glass from beer bottles.

Reactions: johnlogan

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
AMF (TD here) offers a modded rainbow Daytona - think it costs 5k or something (don’t quote me on that but it’s that sort of order of magnitude). Not sure how good their diamond setting is (or what your budget is), but worth asking them. Price seems high for Asian labour but maybe ask for some pics and see if it’s for you

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

austenier_callande

You're Saying I Can Sell?
12/9/21
I find it hard to believe those are even real moissys, moissanite are far more reflective and refractive than diamonds. that is literally what they are mainly known more -- being more sparkly and brilliant than diamonds

Reactions: WatchSmith.US

austenier_callande

You're Saying I Can Sell?
12/9/21
you need to talk to a gem supplier from china like provence gems for the best quality for the price for a simple cut like this

Stuvetjee

Russian Spambot Sales Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
3/3/14
NL / Schweizer
AMF (TD here) offers a modded rainbow Daytona - think it costs 5k or something (don’t quote me on that but it’s that sort of order of magnitude). Not sure how good their diamond setting is (or what your budget is), but worth asking them. Price seems high for Asian labour but maybe ask for some pics and see if it’s for you

So how is this any constructive if you are throwing around numbers without even knowing if its true?

I know their prices and its certainly not 5k… if you dont know the price, simply dont spread the false information.

On a second note, AMF their setting is impeccable and comes closest to gen. I know this because i did the same kind of project building my own 6270 sultan. It ain’t cheap but it will get you closest to the real deal. They use custom cut princess cut bezel stones with the correct rainbow transition and replace all the cz glass crap with real diamonds.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Reactions: KJ2020

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Bro if you really want something nice you are going to spend what? Maybe $2K all in? Your subdials are lame, just identical texture prints (just being honest).

If it were me, I would just get an AMF. Sorry for the long quote below but this post is worth everyone's time to scroll through again. Shoot now I got myself wanting this again dammit.

https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...31-review-amf-rainbow-daytona-116595rbow-pics

Hey guys,

I rarely show up in the Rolex sub but for the first time in a long time, I bought a modern Daytona. Not just any normal Daytona but the king of all Daytonas, the Rainbow.

Was lucky enough to handle the genuine article some time back and combined with the ever persuasive John Mayer, I had to have one. The regular reps were just unfulfilling and honestly not that good, so when AMF posted their rainbow Daytona I had to take the plunge.

jyVDP1.jpg

jyV3tI.jpg

jyVZ0j.jpg

jyVze4.jpg

jyVHEc.jpg

Now on to the specs and what was done to it:

Noob v4 base

Custom sapphire bezel with lab-grown sapphires

Custom dial with mother of pearl subdials and color matching sapphire baguettes

Custom rose gold handset

The case set with natural earth diamonds

Replated to match Everose color

Filled case back to add 15g

Movement fully regulated, serviced and case water resistance tested to 5 ATM

jyJFeW.jpg

jyJRSP.jpg

jyJNCJ.jpg

My thoughts on the watch:

Case:
It's a noob case, pushers, and bracelet. Except for the setting of the diamonds, it's stock which is okay for me.

Dial:
Holy mother of balls, this dial is absolutely drop-dead gorgeous. The mother of pearl subdials sparkle and shimmer when you articulate your wrist. The baguettes are vibrant and well sized, the colors match perfectly with the corresponding sapphire on the bezel. Dial printing is CRIPSY and the subdial numerals are sharp. Just. Gorgeous.

Bezel:
What can I say, the sapphires are set invisibly like gen and have no perceivable gaps to my eye. The color gradient is gorgeous and not cloyingly bright like some other "high end" builds floating around. Smooth transition in colors and facets that could blind.

Movement:
Well, it's serviced and regulated. Keeps good time and winds smoothly, I don't play with the Chrono so no comment on that. Activates cleanly and resets well when i tried it once. The water resistance is nice but no way I'm taking this to the pool.

Weight:
Okay, this one is interesting, comparing it to the weight of a steel Daytona, the head definitely feels heftier. I think it's a valid upgrade considering the price of a full gold variant. (quoted to be 13.5k on reddit but that particular watch was pretty bad)

Call me a simp but I felt so serviced. Fast response, friendly tone and overall helpfulness just added to experience. (Also helped me forget how much i was spending)
I was lucky and they had one last one in stock, immediately bank wired and was express shipped to me. Overall, 9/10. Will have to see how they continue to operate in the future.

Cost:

Noob v4 with custom dial, bezel and diamond setting - 3400USD

Weight added - 100USD

Servicing, regulating and testing water resistance - 300USD

Express shipping (my choice) - 150USD

Total 3930 USD inc shipping

I know some of you probably baulked at that price. I almost did too, but think about it. It's a fully proper gem set watch with top of line setting. Where else are you going to get this kind of package? At least that's what i tell myself lol. Still, no regrets and i bloody love this thing. As John Mayer said, "you can understand the rarity of the piece and also the rarity of the though behind creating the piece. You can then wear the watch as someone who is a collector". This watch both in the rep and gen world are a rare sight. I love rare daytonas and i love this one.

Regards,

Peguine

Reactions: johnlogan and d4v3

BlossomboofyBoofystewie2

25/8/18
Australia
Thanks guys, As I've put on other threads here, I HAVE ordered one of these from AMF and it is due about Mid March.

I was hoping to "revive" my stainless steel one shown above as well?

Do you think I should just throw out the Stainless steel one I've got and just wait for my AMF one? (which is the way I'm leaning)?

PS I think I paid about $US3500 for the AMF one, and if it turns out as good as the photos above, I'll be REALLY happy .

As posted on another thread, I will report on how it all goes with AMF.

Thanks for your help. Ed

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
So how is this any constructive if you are throwing around numbers without even knowing if its true?

I know their prices and its certainly not 5k… if you dont know the price, simply dont spread the false information.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Sorry couldn’t find the link that KJ posted above...but I wasn’t just throwing around numbers. I said the “order of magnitude” price was around 5k. Link above confirms that it’s Just under 4K...so I wasn’t exactly wrong when talking “ball park” (especially when you add all the other costs associated with builds). I simply asked the OP to contact the dealer and see if it meets his requirements. I can’t comment on the jewel setting quality based on the highly filtered pics in the above link. Jeez just trying to help op out.

AMF

Trusted Watch Dealer
Trusted Dealer
27/5/20
It can certainly be done dear but it will likely be inefficient judging by what is going to be put into rebuilding the watch compare to how much doing a new one correctly would cost you and you will still be left with a 7750 based Daytona instead of a 4130. Not that we say to shill for ourselves but it can be done :D

if it turns out as good as the photos above, I'll be REALLY happy .
It will certainly .

confirms that it’s Just under 4K...so I wasn’t exactly wrong when talking “ball park” (especially when you add all the other costs associated with builds)
Remove shipping cost and you are looking at roughly $3800 with full teardown service ++, how does this same ball park to $5000? You are still $1200 away from this. There are no other costs associated with build from us besides what we are quoting in total.

Reactions: Stuvetjee

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
Thanks for the clarification.

Yep, circa 5k isn’t a bad order of magnitude figure.. Op Might want one that’s only 3k worth of customisation or might want one that’s 5k worth. The sample on the link is circa 4K.

Anyways, hope you get your grail build sorted op. Post pics when you get it mate.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Thanks guys, As I've put on other threads here, I HAVE ordered one of these from AMF and it is due about Mid March.

Do you think I should just throw out the Stainless steel one I've got and just wait for my AMF one? (which is the way I'm leaning)?

PS I think I paid about $US3500 for the AMF one, and if it turns out as good as the photos above, I'll be REALLY happy .

Thanks for your help. Ed

Awesome move bro. I wouldn't spend another penny on the SS one, flip it and forget it.

I'm curious which one you ordered, is it RG YG or WG?

Cheers

Yogibear

I'm Pretty Popular
21/8/19

Thanks for your help. Ed

This same RG version?

Yogibear

I'm Pretty Popular
21/8/19
It can certainly be done dear but it will likely be inefficient judging by what is going to be put into rebuilding the watch compare to how much doing a new one correctly would cost you and you will still be left with a 7750 based Daytona instead of a 4130. Not that we say to shill for ourselves but it can be done :D

It will certainly .

Remove shipping cost and you are looking at roughly $3800 with full teardown service ++, how does this same ball park to $5000? You are still $1200 away from this. There are no other costs associated with build from us besides what we are quoting in total.

What is your plating process? How thick do you plate it?

BlossomboofyBoofystewie2

25/8/18
Australia
OK I don't know who asked but I have ordered the EXACT same RG one from AMF and I will post pictures as soon as I get it around mid March 2022.

Thanks Guys, for your opinions on the SS one I photographed on here somewhere - I will just throw it out.

fatarms

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
9/5/12
In my pants
OK I don't know who asked but I have ordered the EXACT same RG one from AMF and I will post pictures as soon as I get it around mid March 2022.

Thanks Guys, for your opinions on the SS one I photographed on here somewhere - I will just throw it out.

If you're just going to toss the SS one, I'll take it if you're serious?

Yogibear

I'm Pretty Popular
21/8/19

It was me and KJ... The thing with Everose and WG, it's hard to match Rolex colours when plating. Next time consider YG.

I'm a fan of pink gold too lol.