• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

[Review] AMF Rainbow Daytona 116595RBOW + Pics

Peguine

Mac and Cheese sucks
18/3/19
At a mcdonalds birthday party
Hey guys,

I rarely show up in the Rolex sub but for the first time in a long time, I bought a modern Daytona. Not just any normal Daytona but the king of all Daytonas, the Rainbow.

Was lucky enough to handle the genuine article some time back and combined with the ever persuasive John Mayer, I had to have one. The regular reps were just unfulfilling and honestly not that good, so when AMF posted their rainbow Daytona I had to take the plunge.

jyVDP1.jpg

jyV3tI.jpg

jyVZ0j.jpg

jyVze4.jpg

jyVHEc.jpg

Now on to the specs and what was done to it:

Noob v4 base

Custom sapphire bezel with lab-grown sapphires

Custom dial with mother of pearl subdials and color matching sapphire baguettes

Custom rose gold handset

The case set with natural earth diamonds

Replated to match Everose color

Filled case back to add 15g

Movement fully regulated, serviced and case water resistance tested to 5 ATM

jyJFeW.jpg

jyJRSP.jpg

jyJNCJ.jpg

My thoughts on the watch:

Case:
It's a noob case, pushers, and bracelet. Except for the setting of the diamonds, it's stock which is okay for me.

Dial:
Holy mother of balls, this dial is absolutely drop-dead gorgeous. The mother of pearl subdials sparkle and shimmer when you articulate your wrist. The baguettes are vibrant and well sized, the colors match perfectly with the corresponding sapphire on the bezel. Dial printing is CRIPSY and the subdial numerals are sharp. Just. Gorgeous.

Bezel:
What can I say, the sapphires are set invisibly like gen and have no perceivable gaps to my eye. The color gradient is gorgeous and not cloyingly bright like some other "high end" builds floating around. Smooth transition in colors and facets that could blind.

Movement:
Well, it's serviced and regulated. Keeps good time and winds smoothly, I don't play with the Chrono so no comment on that. Activates cleanly and resets well when i tried it once. The water resistance is nice but no way I'm taking this to the pool.

Weight:
Okay, this one is interesting, comparing it to the weight of a steel Daytona, the head definitely feels heftier. I think it's a valid upgrade considering the price of a full gold variant. (quoted to be 13.5k on reddit but that particular watch was pretty bad)

Experience with AMF:

Call me a simp but I felt so serviced. Fast response, friendly tone and overall helpfulness just added to experience. (Also helped me forget how much i was spending)
I was lucky and they had one last one in stock, immediately bank wired and was express shipped to me. Overall, 9/10. Will have to see how they continue to operate in the future.

Cost:

Noob v4 with custom dial, bezel and diamond setting - 3400USD

Weight added - 100USD

Servicing, regulating and testing water resistance - 300USD

Express shipping (my choice) - 150USD

Total 3930 USD inc shipping

I know some of you probably baulked at that price. I almost did too, but think about it. It's a fully proper gem set watch with top of line setting. Where else are you going to get this kind of package? At least that's what i tell myself lol. Still, no regrets and i bloody love this thing. As John Mayer said, "you can understand the rarity of the piece and also the rarity of the though behind creating the piece. You can then wear the watch as someone who is a collector". This watch both in the rep and gen world are a rare sight. I love rare daytonas and i love this one.

Regards,

Peguine

Last edited:

diamant

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
9/9/19
Nice mate, watch is amazing!

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
It looks amazing. I don't know why I love these super OTT blingy Daytonas, but I really do. Congratulations on owning one.

The price is way out of my comfort zone for spending on a rep, but I can completely understand why you took the plunge, and the product really does look worth every penny.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Edit: Sorry I saw "It's a Noob case...it's stock", and missed this on first read

"Replated to match Everose color"

So, some of my post is less applicable, but I'll leave it as much of it still pertains to properly plated watches.
That is such a beautiful piece bro. Even if you never wear it out of the house, it would still bring many hours of eye popping joy.

There was a similar one posted recently - a factory called WWF came out with them a while ago. A member here bought one and posted some pics.

https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...4#post10200734

I own several YG and RG reps, and want to share with you (and others reading) some care tips I use to keep them looking pristine. IDK how much you already know so I apologize if it sounds too basic.

Moisture is rep plating's worst nightmare. It can lead to discoloration, splotching, and crazing (dulling) of the finish. So I do all of the following:

Keep it out of high humidity environments, the beach, steamy bathrooms, etc.

Store it in a cool dry place. I keep all mine in a separate box with a dozen or so packs of dessicant.

Never sweat while wearing it.

Don't handle it unnecessarily, especially the plated parts. Wear jeweler's gloves to play with it.

Don't get it wet or dirty, not even hand washing splash.

Wipe it down after every wearing. Find a cleaning solution that works for you. I use Walmart lens cleaner and a Zeiss lens cloth. The solution is mild and alcohol free. I tried it on an extra link a few times and it worked great so I stuck with it. I spray some on the cloth to just dampen it, then wipe down all the surfaces after every wearing. I'm sure others have some preferred techniques.

Despite everything I do, I have had two cases of very minor crazing, just a thin layer of dulling in a small area. I took a chance and used a small piece of Cape Cod lightly to see what would happen and so far so good. The dulling was removed and the whole area looks new again. You probably can't do this more a couple times because rep plating is pretty thin.

There are plenty of horror stories here regarding rep plating failures but if you are meticulous in caring for them, with a little luck they can last a good while. Some of mine are about 3 years old now, still looking good. When all else fails, re-plating is always an option.

Congrats on the new piece. Unquestionably one of the coolest reps ever made. Even if it isn't your thing, it's beauty must be appreciated.

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Something else I did on all my plated reps with bracelets is put protective film all over the clasps and on two links either sides. I hate scratches and since regular polishing isn't an option, this is a good solution IMO. You can buy kits with pre-cut pieces to cover entire bracelets (and cases too). I just cut out some pieces from leftover cell phone film.

i9vJ3.jpg

WHTdL.jpg

WHPIQ.jpg

WHCZS.jpg

WHluW.jpg

WHBhJ.jpg

Reactions: Star70 and mech500

Yogibear

I'm Pretty Popular
21/8/19
I like the Dial and bezel my only issues is the lug diamond setting.
It looks like they used 50pt for most of the way up. It's supposed to work its way to 1 carat in the middle of each lug and ending with 1pt at the tips. It's too spaced out the settings on the lugs.

The other issue is it doesn't match everose at all unfortunately. I know Nick on RWI can match everose so I would look into having him replate it.

I just wish they properly set the diamonds and matched the layout with Genuine Rolex Rainbow Lugs because you are spending that much money to be as close to possible to Gen so why not right? It's definitely better than those eBay sellers.

Peguine

Mac and Cheese sucks
18/3/19
KJ2020 WOW, thank you for all the info. Unfortunately for me, I live in a horribly humid country but I’m gonna follow your advice and cut out the protectors and use desiccant packs. Already using a light lens cleaner without alcohol to clean. Wonder if there's any solution to apply that will help against oils from sweat?

Thank you so much for the advice man. So far I haven’t had any issue with plating but better safe than sorry with this one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: KJ2020

Peguine

Mac and Cheese sucks
18/3/19
I like the Dial and bezel my only issues is the lug diamond setting.
It looks like they used 50pt for most of the way up. It's supposed to work its way to 1 carat in the middle of each lug and ending with 1pt at the tips. It's too spaced out the settings on the lugs.

The other issue is it doesn't match everose at all unfortunately. I know Nick on RWI can match everose so I would look into having him replate it.

I just wish they properly set the diamonds and matched the layout with Genuine Rolex Rainbow Lugs because you are spending that much money to be as close to possible to Gen so why not right? It's definitely better than those eBay sellers.

Hey man, i guess from the pics it looks like it doesn't match i think that's because i edited the photos with lightroom. IRL it matches quite well IMO but I'm no expert so you may be right!

BoulderJ

7/5/21
Yikes! I think I'm suffering from bling overload.

To each his own.

RDRoss

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
28/5/19
That is some major bling. Nice to look at but I would be terrified to wear it out and screw it up. Enjoy that masterpiece and maybe consider providing us an update on how it wears over time.

Yogibear

I'm Pretty Popular
21/8/19
Hey man, i guess from the pics it looks like it doesn't match i think that's because i edited the photos with lightroom. IRL it matches quite well IMO but I'm no expert so you may be right!

Oh okay maybe that's why because I can't see them doing it like that. Maybe take some more outdoor pics?

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
Wowsers $4k! Thanks for sharing mate. Yes, some outdoor lighting unedited pics would be really useful. Hard to see the diamond setting in the above pics. Did you get any QC pics that you could share for information?

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

M_Hall

I'm Pretty Popular
8/10/15
Absolutely stunning, congratulations.

Should upgrade to a full Pavé bracelet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YellowFin

Not pretty, hardly popular
28/1/20
Molvania
What's going on here? I get back after a few weeks with low reading frequency and all those MASSIVE builds show up! :thumbsup:

Star70

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
19/1/20
Wow,thats amazing,congrats and take care of it.I do have a question:How did they add the weight?