• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Another new Pepsi GMT emerges (DJF)

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
This new DJF release shares a lot of characteristics with the GMF, some good some not so good.

https://trustytime.io/index.php?main...ducts_id=21964

Pros
Case shape is very good, lugs look slim and CGs are nice.
Minute hand is longer.
Time setting and hour jumping is same direction as gen 3285. Backward crown = forward rotation
Bezel has a lip.
Insert is better than the GMF, markers are thicker, 1 serifs correct, no visible join lines.
Bracelet is good - same one used by Noob, GMF, VRF (6MW).

jKju6L.jpg

Cons
Hour markers have square corners.
Hour hand orb is too small, hand lume plots are too small.
Insert colors look off, but Perfect Clones pics are routinely bad. 18 transition is high.
Movement is based on the SA3135, the worst rep 3135 movement.
Price is $568.
The crystal is nothing special, typical rep fare with edge distortion.

This movement has not done well at least in our forums. It hasn't gotten much interest since the VR3185 is such a solid workhorse, The SA3285 is based ultimately on the terrible SA3135.

There's a lot of info on the movement in the threads linked below.

GMF released true clone 3285

3135 movement comparison Gen-SA-SH-VR

The movement alone kills it for me. Enter at your own risk.

Last edited:

Slugger

Absent Minded Professor
Supporter
Certified
17/9/20
CONUS
I looked at all the photos Andrew has posted for this rep. The best shot of the transitions is not the angle shot shown here but the one shot dead on.

I’m holding a gen 126719BLRO (white gold version) which I assume has the same ceramic bezel insert as the 126710. To my aging eyes, with the benefit of contacts, loupe and my daily vitamins, the height of 18 transition (compared to the straight frontal at Trusty) does not look bad but the color transition is another story.

Otherwise, I agree with rest of KJ2020’s critique. In particular: the markers are awful; and the hands (including the seconds hand) are, in every way, just as odious.

Given the above and the capricious movement, this watch scores a hearty “thumbs down” from me.

Last edited:

StreetFighter

Insert Coin
4/9/20
I like the bezel, the endlinks, and the colours on the insert (real life may well be different). I like the case shape though the polish/brushed line at the CG’s is in the wrong place but can be sorted with masking tape and cape cod. The hands are a dead giveaway, I’m staring at the markers on my gen while looking at the rep but to be honest I can’t make out the profile of my gen markers in hand, they are very small and my eyes are ageing so I can’t comment really without using a camera and blowing them up.
the crystal is typical, not great and who knows the quality or finish of the bracelet and watch until in hand..

Will I buy? I think I’d need to swap the hands movement and maybe the dial. Maybe a combo of this and the Clean may make a decent Pepsi. For the meantime though I’ll wait yet for a rep that ticks more boxes for me.. if I didn’t have a gen though, I’d buy both and use the clean internals in this one if I had deep pockets, maybe? It’s a gamble, it may feel like it fell out a Christmas cracker.

Replisimio

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/20
Gods own country! Yorkshire.
I’m guessing they have photographed the same sample watches as the jubilee has the correct lipped bezel but the oyster version doesn’t.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I have ordered, my QC photos, since there is lack of any other pics than those from dealers' websites:

jKbjPQ.jpg

jKbz0L.jpg

jKbAHv.jpg

Looks decent overall. The insert transitions are nice, join lines are hardly visible. The 18 transition is only slightly high and tolerable. The insert sits lower in the bezel than I prefer. The CGs are great, much better than CFs. Dial is better than promo pics, marker corners look OK. Hands are nice. This sample has a crooked 12 marker.

jKb0bc.jpg

StreetFighter

Insert Coin
4/9/20
These QC pics are much better than the sales pics. Shady unreliable movement or not this looks really good, I like it. I’m hoping in hand reviews are good and the bracelet doesn’t disappoint.

StreetFighter

Insert Coin
4/9/20
The insert colours are really good, 18 transition is a fraction low and the transitions on the gen have less of a line with more of a fade and seamless blend at the joins where the colours meet together. I think the rest is spot on! This will be a very handsome piece on the wrist.

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
These pics really show the lip and insert well
f52bf5794e009d449f2436940925696d.png

ccadde3e793a1c738146bb624d679eb5.png

Yes those are great shots. I think the wider lip makes the insert recession more palatable. Otherwise and in general, a low sitting insert is a bit of an eyesore to me.

This is sitting noticeably lower and is not nearly as attractive looking.

jKxn6K.jpg

Last edited:

StreetFighter

Insert Coin
4/9/20
These pics really show the lip and insert well
f52bf5794e009d449f2436940925696d.png

ccadde3e793a1c738146bb624d679eb5.png

These are really fantastic, I’m genuinely excited about this one. SEL’s, bezel, colours, CG’s, crystal and gasket is not bad either.

Everything wrong with the Clean one is much better here.

Last edited:
Reactions: stance

derjenigewelcher

Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Patron
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
Well my friend got a GEN which has also a 12 marker like this, not 100% in the middle.
for 500 bucks its peanuts...

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Well my friend got a GEN which has also a 12 marker like this, not 100% in the middle.
for 500 bucks its peanuts...

I would fix it if I missed it on QC, but I would not accept it if I saw it in time. $500 is a lot to spend on a watch that needs 90 minutes of work to be acceptable. Not to mention additional cost if you can't DIY. Some flaws just aren't OK for some people. This is one of those flaws for me.

I would make Rolex repair or replace a gen dial that had a flaw like this on a new watch.

How to fix crooked markers - DIY