• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

When will we get a 1 to 1 scaled RM replica?

andre233

1/8/13
Idk about the other fans of RMs out there, but the thing that bothers me the most is the gigantic size of replica RMs. This seems to be the case for all of them btw. If factories can make 1 to 1 rolexes, IWCs and APs, why not RMs? I can live with the incorrect details of the dials and movements, but the size kills it for me.

JackJ1980

Mythical Poster
20/6/16
Because Rolex is a simple design and movement in reality. The RM costs what it does gen for a reason. To even try and replicate is very hard. They may someday get there but not without demand for the existing ones

chr1s60

Renowned Member
4/6/17
I don't think the demand is there. RM is a known name, but the popularity level doesn't come anywhere close to the Rolex, Omega or Breitling demand.

Rabbagasten

I'm Pretty Popular
25/12/15
The number of people that can pull these watches off, are very limited. The possibility of any factory buying a gen is slim to none. The demand for high quality reps of RM is low. The techniques to shape the carbon or composite materials are harder to aquire than the metal work on other watches.
There's like 1000 reasons, and that's before we start to talk of the movement.
The newest RMs weigh 32 grams btw!
A 1:1 is never gonna happen

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

barth

Put Some Respect On My Name
5/10/12
The number of people that can pull these watches off, are very limited. The possibility of any factory buying a gen is slim to none. The demand for high quality reps of RM is low. The techniques to shape the carbon or composite materials are harder to aquire than the metal work on other watches.
There's like 1000 reasons, and that's before we start to talk of the movement.
The newest RMs weigh 32 grams btw!
A 1:1 is never gonna happen

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Agreed with all your points except that JF actually bought a Rm011 for replication.

d.a.w.

You're Saying I Can Sell?
5/1/17
That is ZF not JF :)
Wouldn't it have been much easier for them to purchase a bubba Watson for example and try to replicate it instead of the rm011 with the chrono and the date? Because how do they want to make the chrono when they can't even get the date right?

Gesendet von meinem SM-G935F mit Tapatalk

capnjazz

Known Member
10/4/15
I would KILL for a much more accurate Bubba Watson. It seems like a simple enough movement that I'm sure they could do a MUCH better job creating one of those.

pe.geffroy

I'm Pretty Popular
9/3/14
Wouldn't it have been much easier for them to purchase a bubba Watson for example and try to replicate it instead of the rm011 with the chrono and the date? Because how do they want to make the chrono when they can't even get the date right?

5cc0169ad3af4089b576c83b57af8903.jpg

In fact it's not that bad !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keylog74

14/6/13

Buba and 11 doesn't have the same price tad this might be the reason they tried the RM11, the clone movement if ever produced is everything you will ever want from a RM rep. Real question is why not rm10 or 5 but rm11 [emoji52]

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

pe.geffroy

I'm Pretty Popular
9/3/14
I remember that Angus said as the RM010 and RM005 are easy to rep they don't want to invest in this as smaller maker can reproduce it easily afterward they'd rather invest in a more expensive watch to replicate

_DC_

I'm Pretty Popular
3/1/13
London UK
I remember that Angus said as the RM010 and RM005 are easy to rep they don't want to invest in this as smaller maker can reproduce it easily afterward they'd rather invest in a more expensive watch to replicate

This makes absolutely no sense, since the complicated and time only watches sell for much the same price in the rep world, so surely spending less to get the same return is better business sense, plus the RM005 and RM010 have a wider appeal I would say.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to things Angus says, nothing much that he's talked about recently has come to fruition!!

DC

Reactions: sunrayminor

peterpl

24/7/11
The factory DID buy a gen RM11 to replicate. Lets wait to see what eventuates. The above was a prototype picture of the repped movement. Not a bad effort at all.

TBH I would NEVER buy an RM even if one could afford one. They to me are fad watches and their design is not classic and long lasting. They are not like a classic Rolex/Patek/AP. Totally different types of watches. Price does NOT always buy style. Some RMs are absolutely rubbish looking especially that Ronald McDonald Nadal one. LOL

_DC_

I'm Pretty Popular
3/1/13
London UK
The factory DID buy a gen RM11 to replicate. Lets wait to see what eventuates. The above was a prototype picture of the repped movement. Not a bad effort at all.

TBH I would NEVER buy an RM even if one could afford one. They to me are fad watches and their design is not classic and long lasting. They are not like a classic Rolex/Patek/AP. Totally different types of watches. Price does NOT always buy style. Some RMs are absolutely rubbish looking especially that Ronald McDonald Nadal one. LOL

On the contrary, I think the tonneau shape first introduced on the RM001 & RM002 has become a classic, if not an icon, of modern watch design, and they're still using it after 18 years with no sign of changing direction so I'd say it's going to be pretty long lasting. It's certainly not what I'd call a fad!!

Yoyos were a fad, fidget spinners are a fad, with any luck Justin Beiber will be a fad, but Richard Mille is proving himself far more resilient in the current market than almost any other brand, so I'd say he's here to stay!!!

DC

peterpl

24/7/11
Richard Mille is proving himself far more resilient in the current market than almost any other brand, so I'd say he's here to stay!!!

We will see. I admit he uses some very specific materials on his watches but you got to admit some of those models like the Johan Blake, Ronald McDonald Rafa and some others are really hideous. Looks like some watches from a cereal box.

RMs have been getting some flack on their designs of late by some watch WIS.

Keylog74

14/6/13
Price tag if Richard Mille is what always makes the conversation. the marketing is excellent, is here to stay and this for sure. It has some models that may not look appealing but than when you check the materials used and the ingeneering behind that you get blown! They are so limited that probably you can't get one (also because you can't afford one mostly). Than the genetic models and most comune are becoming really desiderabile because the watch now is known to the general as the rich people watch. Forget Rolex AP this is the ultimate rich! That clone movement is great if ever gets produced

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Eseips

5/4/16
This makes absolutely no sense, since the complicated and time only watches sell for much the same price in the rep world, so surely spending less to get the same return is better business sense, plus the RM005 and RM010 have a wider appeal I would say.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to things Angus says, nothing much that he's talked about recently has come to fruition!!

DC
Well I don´t remember where it was but once Angus explained exactly why some pretty easy to replicate (but still expensive) watches are not made. He explained it this way: Lets assume you buy a RM10 for somewhat around 50.000. No idea if thats an appropriate price but just assume it is. They invest the money and quite a lot of time into it and then at some point they put it on the market. Now an other, smaller Rep factory just buys the easy rep and replicates the rep. they don´t have to invest shitloads of money and research into it trying to rep it. This process might take them still 3-4 months. So in short, the first rep fac that invested the big amount only has 3-4 months time to sell the reps trying to get back all the money they spent. So if they rep a very complicated watch, smaller rep facs might still copy the rep (but it will still cost them a lot of time and research and money) so it is unlikelier and they have more time to get back thei expenses. If you think about it like that it makes perfect sense why they rep complicated watches instead of the very easy ones.

Angus was pretty hyped about this rm11 (and rm52 with faux tourby) as well and I really hope they did not cancel the project since i am checking the rm section and angus industy insights every hour for updates :D

@domsdaddy123 i think angus uploaded it in the thread news from ZF factories because they are the factory who bought the gen. but you can´t see it anymore because photobucked stopped working in forums.

happy waiting bro´s!