• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

SS 316L vs. 316F vs. 904L- The final VERDICT- A technical study

adgu

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/11/11
excellent information! Thanks a lot... I just realised and get informed this after I order my first SS 316L :)

Thanx

WatchDoc

I'm Pretty Popular
15/2/10
this is not being made to pad my post stats, but a "Thanks" is certainly warranted.
So...Thanks

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
this is not being made to pad my post stats, but a "Thanks" is certainly warranted.
So...Thanks

Many thanks for your contribution and kind comments
ALE

Wacker23

I'm Pretty Popular
22/8/09
Is there any info on other metals and material like titanium that we can learn about?

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Is there any info on other metals and material like titanium that we can learn about?

You can have a lot of information about Titanium even in Google

But, as far as I know there is not a normative about Ti in reps.
Therefore, i'm going to save you some reading:

- Ti is much more gray than all SS and the Ti reps usually have more sporty character
- Ti is much softer than all SS. Therefore it is more delicate concerning scratches. You will need to be very careful with a rep made of Ti.
- Usually Ti reps are more expensive

I think, that is all you need to know about Ti in reps.

ALE

Wacker23

I'm Pretty Popular
22/8/09
Thanku. I been buying panerai rep made of titanium i just wanted to know a few things.

D

d4m.test

ALE7575 Thank you for the time you spent with the research, and for making this an easy read for those of us without this kind of technical intelligence. It tells us all we need to know to consider witch SS we want, & want to pay for in our reps. And you also have great mannors, in that you answer & thank all that post in this thread, rare trait in this day & age! I will read your other threads in the near future. Great Work Sir!

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
ALE7575 Thank you for the time you spent with the research, and for making this an easy read for those of us without this kind of technical intelligence. It tells us all we need to know to consider witch SS we want, & want to pay for in our reps. And you also have great mannors, in that you answer & thank all that post in this thread, rare trait in this day & age! I will read your other threads in the near future. Great Work Sir!

Many thanks for your kind comments
Nice to see my thread was useful

I hope you enjoy my other Threads If you are able to stand them.
LOL

Thanks again
ALE

sms

You're Saying I Can Sell?
3/3/12
Great post, thanks for sharing. Is it possible to purchase case sets and bracelets made of 904SS? It might be worth it if building your own piece.

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Great post, thanks for sharing. Is it possible to purchase case sets and bracelets made of 904SS? It might be worth it if building your own piece.

Thanks for your kind comments
As you can see in this thread there are not, in practice, significative differences between SS 904L and 316L & F but the price is a lot higher.

I think it is impossible to get casesets made of ss 904L. Maybe in Rolex but a AD Rolex doesn't buy them. And there will not be much differences

Concerning bracelets perhaps you could get them from an AD Rolex, the building will be better but the price will be very expensive and the difference it is not worth in my opinion.

ALE

D

d4m.test

EXCELLENT WORK, Ale! Definitely a saver for me in "favorites." Thanks for all your work and for sharing it. Some rep points to you!

dave

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09
sinigafic...

signifact...

signitatativ...

Ugh. Important.

:p

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
EXCELLENT WORK, Ale! Definitely a saver for me in "favorites." Thanks for all your work and for sharing it. Some rep points to you!

dave

sinigafic...

signifact...

signitatativ...

Ugh. Important.

:p

Many thanks my friends for your nice and kind words
I'm overwhelmed by them
Thanks again
ALE