• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The Shaving Cream Mod - Guide

thumbsarehandy

I'm Pretty Popular
26/4/17
My idea of using shaving cream was originally only intended for cleaning a watch. However, after 2 weeks of daily use I discovered an interesting side effect and therefore call it now a modification.

A little background first:

When I received my Rolex, Submariner, 114060, Noob v7, it was perfect (many thanks again Mr. M, @MReplica). Except, I didn’t feel a luxury-vibe. Especially the SS bracelet had a dull, matte, lusterless appearance.
IMG_6081.jpg

Those original pics where already posted here:
https://forum.replica-watch.info/th...er-114060-noob-v7-review.376443/#post-3437327

My first thought was to clean it. After Mr. M’s recommendation I did so with a microfiber cloth which made a difference on the crystal and ceramic bezel, but not on the bracelet.

After consulting Dr. internet, I posted this:
https://forum.replica-watch.info/threads/how-to-clean-a-watch-detailed-instructions.377777/
I received great advice from members - special thanks to @Nivka for pointing out the method's lack of practicality and the ultrasonic cleaner. Also, many thanks to @Maron and @JackJ1980 for sharing their experience.

Therefore, more research, looking into non-watch related areas/methods.

And here we arrive - cleaning your watch with Shaving Cream.
As mentioned, after 2 weeks of cleaning my Rolex, Submariner, 114060, Noob v7 daily with shaving cream ...
IMG_6281.jpg

... I noticed an interesting side effect. The SS had lost its dullness and presented a more show-room sparkle and gen-like qualities. My wife also concurred with me, witnessing its transformation and stating that now nobody would even doubt it not being gen.
2.jpg

Photos take with same the camera, in the same location and in similar if not same light conditions.

A very quick tutorial:
- make sure the watch head and bracelet are dry
- apply shaving cream foam to your watch and bracelet - rub it in with your finger

Now 2 choices:
1. immediately whip off with a microfiber cloth (you may also first use a tissue or a paper towel to get the majority of the excess shaving cream off first - but be gentle not to scratch)
2. let the applied SC sit for a couple of minutes - then whip off

--> after 2 weeks of daily appliance of only SC, I noticed a slight lessening of the shine. I applied some water (if you are sure your watch is waterproof run it under water - if not, wet a microfiber cloth and whip the watch down) -- pad down with a tissue or a paper towel and let dry completely -- apply SC -- the very satisfying shine is back

I leave you with some before and after shots:

before
IMG_6080.jpg

after
1.jpg

before
IMG_6084.jpg

after
3.jpg

before
IMG_6089.jpg

after
5.2.jpg

Please share your thoughts and results :)

Attachments

• IMG_6084.jpg
    IMG_6084.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_6084.jpg
    IMG_6084.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_6084.jpg
    IMG_6084.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_6084.jpg
    IMG_6084.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 27
Reactions: vcappp

Nivka

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/4/15
Australia
Looks really good. What made you think to use shaving cream? Is there anything nasty in it that might damage the steel over prolonged use?

ShovelnTC

Renowned Member
14/6/13
AU
"As far as mass market shaving creams go, there's a pretty standard recipe that you'll find across the board. These shaving creams consist of about 80 percent water, and the rest of the ingredients do the jobs of lathering up on the face, binding the lathering ingredients to the water and propelling it out of the can. Unfortunately, many of these shaving creams feature more harmful ingredients than beneficial ones. Here's what to keep an eye out for.

Propolene glycol is a humectant like glycerin, but unlike glycerin, it's more frequently found in antifreeze and brake fluid. Triethanolamine, better known as TEA, is an emulsifying agent, meaning it helps keep the oil and water from separating. It's also a very controversial ingredient in the cosmetic industry because not only is it a skin irritant, but many formulas containing TEA are found to be contaminated with nitrosamines, which are linked to cancer. Sodium lauryl sulphate (SLS) and sodium laureth sulphate (SLES) are two more controversial skincare ingredients. These make a great lather, but they also have a number of health implications. Lauryl mimics estrogen, which is especially problematic for women, and laureth often hosts a known carcinogen called dioxane."

Sounds like there's more liklyhood that you'll get cancer than harm your watch.

thumbsarehandy

I'm Pretty Popular
26/4/17
Looks really good. What made you think to use shaving cream? Is there anything nasty in it that might damage the steel over prolonged use?

Thank you, Nivka!
Initially, I didn't like my crystal to get smudgy, so I consulted Dr. YouTube :) There I watched some glass cleaning videos which brought me to some shaving cream life hacks that where mentioning cleaning mirrors in bathrooms and car windows, keeping them from fogging up. Also, when I saw a video about treating squeaky door hinges, I guess my mind just put one and one together.

Concerning SC being nasty to steel over prolonged use is a very good and relevant question. I don't know. Maybe a member with advanced knowledge in that particular field could help and enlightening us.

thumbsarehandy

I'm Pretty Popular
26/4/17
"As far as mass market shaving creams go, there's a pretty standard recipe that you'll find across the board. These shaving creams consist of about 80 percent water, and the rest of the ingredients do the jobs of lathering up on the face, binding the lathering ingredients to the water and propelling it out of the can. Unfortunately, many of these shaving creams feature more harmful ingredients than beneficial ones. Here's what to keep an eye out for.

Propolene glycol is a humectant like glycerin, but unlike glycerin, it's more frequently found in antifreeze and brake fluid. Triethanolamine, better known as TEA, is an emulsifying agent, meaning it helps keep the oil and water from separating. It's also a very controversial ingredient in the cosmetic industry because not only is it a skin irritant, but many formulas containing TEA are found to be contaminated with nitrosamines, which are linked to cancer. Sodium lauryl sulphate (SLS) and sodium laureth sulphate (SLES) are two more controversial skincare ingredients. These make a great lather, but they also have a number of health implications. Lauryl mimics estrogen, which is especially problematic for women, and laureth often hosts a known carcinogen called dioxane."

Sounds like there's more liklyhood that you'll get cancer than harm your watch.

Wow, I never shave again :) but my watch is going to be fine!
But seriously, thank you for your reply. Those are some very good information. If this indeed is the case, we will have to look for something else. If SC generally doesn't harm the watch, maybe we can find some shaving cream (like organic) that does not contain any harmful or controversial ingredients. Would you know about that?
Also, if I could ask you: How do you clean and polish your watch and how do you shave? :)

Oris

Public Figure
Supporter
25/7/13
Also very useful if you decide to grab a razor and give your watch a shave.

I've tried a few methods of cleaning but generally avoid over-saturating the watch with anything and follow a different approach:

- When it comes to the bezel insert, I avoid using anything that will leave residue. A mild dilution of car wash (without wax) and luke warm water on a cloth will do for the head and bracelet. I use such a mild dilution that a wet microfibre cloth is enough to 'rinse' it away.

- With rep ceramic bezel inserts, the surface of the painted engravings on the V7 insert is a dull, matt finish so it traps oil from your hands/fingers and body - this makes the bezel indeces look quite dull.
A lot of detergents and cleaners also leave residue (glycerine, etc) which has the same effect.

I've found that cleaning the bezel numbers with pure isopropyl alcohol (electrical contact cleaner) and a q-tip removes the oil very well, making the bezel engravings look much brighter. I do this every couple of days - it only takes a moment and as long as you're careful not to get the bezel greasy again, this generally helps the numbers shine out in a more gen-like fashion : )

On watches other than the rep ceramic Sub C, I generally use a product called Plexus. It's very gentle and neutral but as it contains glycerine, it doesn't quite deliver the shining bezel insert numerals I desire, hence the method above.

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
Interesting mod. If you want to add lustre, polish brushed steel with a jewellers polishing cloth. It will give infinitely better results.

This will add amazing gen like lustre without diminishing the brushed look
678a350a3423971af116560e95ed6b7b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thumbsarehandy

I'm Pretty Popular
26/4/17
Also very useful if you decide to grab a razor and give your watch a shave.

I've tried a few methods of cleaning but generally avoid over-saturating the watch with anything and follow a different approach:

- When it comes to the bezel insert, I avoid using anything that will leave residue. A mild dilution of car wash (without wax) and luke warm water on a cloth will do for the head and bracelet. I use such a mild dilution that a wet microfibre cloth is enough to 'rinse' it away.

- With rep ceramic bezel inserts, the surface of the painted engravings on the V7 insert is a dull, matt finish so it traps oil from your hands/fingers and body - this makes the bezel indeces look quite dull.
A lot of detergents and cleaners also leave residue (glycerine, etc) which has the same effect.

I've found that cleaning the bezel numbers with pure isopropyl alcohol (electrical contact cleaner) and a q-tip removes the oil very well, making the bezel engravings look much brighter. I do this every couple of days - it only takes a moment and as long as you're careful not to get the bezel greasy again, this generally helps the numbers shine out in a more gen-like fashion : )

On watches other than the rep ceramic Sub C, I generally use a product called Plexus. It's very gentle and neutral but as it contains glycerine, it doesn't quite deliver the shining bezel insert numerals I desire, hence the method above.

Many, many thanks for sharing! I can confirm that the painted engravings have gotten much grayer and duller since receiving the watch and probably more since using SC. I'll see what isopropyl alcohol will do :) I'll also look into the car wash.

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Shaving cream has oils, surfactants and soap as ingredients - all of which will damage gaskets and seals.

thumbsarehandy

I'm Pretty Popular
26/4/17
Interesting mod. If you want to add lustre, polish brushed steel with a jewellers polishing cloth. It will give infinitely better results.

This will add amazing gen like lustre without diminishing the brushed look
678a350a3423971af116560e95ed6b7b.jpg

This is great, thank you! I stayed away from polishing cloth because of the brushed steel - if this could add lustre without diminishing the brushed look - it could be combined with what @Oris just suggested (a mild dilution of car wash). Do you recommend this particular brand or any jewellery polishing cloth will do?

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
This is great, thank you! I stayed away from polishing cloth because of the brushed steel - if this could add lustre without diminishing the brushed look - it could be combined with what @Oris just suggested (a mild dilution of car wash). Do you recommend this particular brand or any jewellery polishing cloth will do?

I have used this particular brand for years and I love it.

I even used it to polish the rehaut of my sub and it gives amazing gen like shine....does not diminish rehaut engraving.

Car wash/ shading foam/ bike lube etc only gives temporary lustre from the silicones, oils, waxes etc.

Just buff the item with the cloth applying a little pressure manually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShovelnTC

Renowned Member
14/6/13
AU
I know that many of us men simply find it impossible and unmanly to take advice from manufacturers recommended instructions but we just have to relent and accept that they generally know better than your average YouTube poster.

So far none of the shaving creams usage instructions I've read have indicated that they are suitable for cleaning watches.....................just saying:bigwink:

Me, I use an ultrasonic for bracelets and simple clean water on a soft cloth for the head, and my flannel shirt sleeves do wonders for polishing crystals.

thumbsarehandy

I'm Pretty Popular
26/4/17
Shaving cream has oils, surfactants and soap as ingredients - all of which will damage gaskets and seals.

Thanks Tripdog - always appreciate your advice. No more SC then. @Oris suggested a mild solution of car wash, which maybe also would contain some kind of cleaning agent. Could you suggest to us a method that keeps the watch save?

thumbsarehandy

I'm Pretty Popular
26/4/17
I have used this particular brand for years and I love it.

I even used it to polish the rehaut of my sub and it gives amazing gen like shine....does not diminish rehaut engraving.

Car wash/ shading foam/ bike lube etc only gives temporary lustre from the silicones, oils, waxes etc.

Just buff the item with the cloth applying a little pressure manually.

Great advice, thank you! Will get some.

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
As with the above comments I would be cautious

Depending on the brand, it will contains sufricants, perfumes and oils which may compromise seals.
I suspect it's the oils which are adding to the shine, and probably make the bracelet feel better - more 'slinky'.

There are more dedicated materials which produce the same / better result.

thumbsarehandy

I'm Pretty Popular
26/4/17
I know that many of us men simply find it impossible and unmanly to take advice from manufacturers recommended instructions but we just have to relent and accept that they generally know better than your average YouTube poster.

So far none of the shaving creams usage instructions I've read have indicated that they are suitable for cleaning watches.....................just saying:bigwink:

Me, I use an ultrasonic for bracelets and simple clean water on a soft cloth for the head, and my flannel shirt sleeves do wonders for polishing crystals.

Agree and agree :) Appreciate your thoughts! The ultrasonic cleaner for bracelet seems to be the winner - always gets recommended by longstanding members (together with a no-soap policy for the watch head).

thumbsarehandy

I'm Pretty Popular
26/4/17
As with the above comments I would be cautious

Depending on the brand, it will contains sufricants, perfumes and oils which may compromise seals.
I suspect it's the oils which are adding to the shine, and probably make the bracelet feel better - more 'slinky'.

There are more dedicated materials which produce the same / better result.

Yes, SC is out :) I liked the shine but if it harms the watch ...

Could I kindly ask you to elaborate on the dedicated materials you mentioned and share some of your methods?