• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

MBK Bangkok Review

AusRepcollector

You're Saying I Can Sell?
6/11/18
I went back to MBK at 4:30 yesterday. I dropped by Boss Time first. They didn’t have much of interest until they showed me a black on black special edition Big Bang. I actually couldn’t track the exact model down on PureTime or Trusty. I thought it interesting enough to go for it on that basis and my very old rose gold’s hands broke a while ago. It cost me $600, which I didn’t think was that unreasonable. After that I paid a trip to M&M and had a much nicer experience than in past. I spoke to a quite knowledgeable chick who was bright enough to talk about which factories they had watches from including Noob and ARF. I ended up picking up an AP AP0383 in blue face with yellow / blue band. I’m hoping it’s Noob but could be JHF meaning I paid more like $100 more at $600 TD than the say the Noob (factoring shipping). Anyway happy with these random purchases. As I noted earlier, more just a bit a fun than serious rep hunting.

SuperLory

Well-Known Repist
22/10/15
I went back to MBK at 4:30 yesterday. I dropped by Boss Time first. They didn’t have much of interest until they showed me a black on black special edition Big Bang. I actually couldn’t track the exact model down on PureTime or Trusty. I thought it interesting enough to go for it on that basis and my very old rose gold’s hands broke a while ago. It cost me $600, which I didn’t think was that unreasonable. After that I paid a trip to M&M and had a much nicer experience than in past. I spoke to a quite knowledgeable chick who was bright enough to talk about which factories they had watches from including Noob and ARF. I ended up picking up an AP AP0383 in blue face with yellow / blue band. I’m hoping it’s Noob but could be JHF meaning I paid more like $100 more at $600 TD than the say the Noob (factoring shipping). Anyway happy with these random purchases. As I noted earlier, more just a bit a fun than serious rep hunting.

600USD each ????

Alex1976

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
25/2/17

I am in MBK on an almost weekly basis to show around overseas visitors or do some random shopping, never found anything exciting in terms of watches but will pay a visit to the shops and check again.

Reactions: AusRepcollector

Sebastjan_b

Looking Around
28/3/18
I can do fresh update. Was in MBK on 18th of February 2019 (yesterday) and all watch shops are still there and opened. I went in at around 11am. They are still selling all the “cheap” reps with few new models every year. Got myself rolex sea dweller (with red inscription) and it’s actually quite good. Will have to service it when i come home because it’s bit late but it’s a rep so all good. Initial price was (like every year) 4500 tbh but i got it for 100$ (3000 tbh). New this year for me was crono automatic watches with (in my lame lame lame opinion) 7750 heart. Prices (initial again) was from 10-15.000 tbh but I won’t buy there anything more than 100$ worth. So to sum it up. Floor 1-3 watches floor 4 everything for gadget freaks (me :)) floor 6 clothes, bags, shoes...... if someone can explain i can upload pics. I will go back to MBK on 1st of march so if anyone got requests for me to look for something just shoot. Oh and yes I will buy one or two more. It’s like a drug....watches :)

on side note im going to look elsewhere for maybe cheaper reps. Really wanna see those 20-50$ ones. Will update as i go.

Oh and I buy all my watches on 3rd floor besides the escalators (ones that go down). Can’t remember name of shop but if anyone wanna know I will post in two weeks.

Ctox

Horology Curious
28/9/19
Wonder if anybody been to MBK lately, any chance to find a good or at least reasonable quality replica there?

karero

Looking Around
13/12/19
I'm wondering the same thing. Going to Bangkok soon - any shops worth checking out rep wise? I see a lot of videos on youtube with rep watches, buT no one with enough knowledge to provide perspective on the quality of the reps...

Accuphase

17/9/18
Went here recently, but cant find any rep only used watches for Rolex and mobile phone accessories.

velox

Put Some Respect On My Name
1/5/15
Any updates on the MBK ?
WIll be in Bangkok the next few days and would love to see some nice reps and perhaps meet up if any RWI members are located in Bangkok :)

AusRepcollector

6/11/18
Any updates on the MBK ?
WIll be in Bangkok the next few days and would love to see some nice reps and perhaps meet up if any RWI members are located in Bangkok :)

I’ll be there tomorrow afternoon. Was there other day but too tired from flight to stop and chat to any shops. I’ll probably just speak to MM watch to see if they have any XF AP 15202's or Panerai Carbontech VSF green strap, plus might make list of other possible reps I might like.

AusRepcollector

6/11/18
So I ended up at M&M watch on Monday. Turns out I was in luck they had the AP XF 15202 in stock, really stoked with it. Also picked up a OM factory Santos 40MM, and a Hublot Ferrari Unico Titanium V6F (they had the grey version but it looks to gaudy for me)

Pricing wasn't bad this time, in doing deal for all three:

AP : 17000 BHT ($US561) Cartier : 15000 BHT ($US495) Hublot : 19500 BHT (US$643)

IMG-0996.jpg

IMG-1015.jpg

IMG-1031.jpg

Last edited:

Alex1976

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
25/2/17
15000 THB, 17000 THB, 19500 THB at MBK? WOW, with all due respect but in my 11 years in Bangkok I have never heard of that pricing level in MBK. Hope you are sure about the factories these watches come from.

AusRepcollector

6/11/18
To SuperLory, pretty damn simple mate.. If Puretime charges $488 for the XF AP ultra thin for example, if you include shipping from them how is paying an extra $50 odd bucks that bad FFS?!? It's always more expensive in Bangkok, but at least I get to do my own QC.

To Alex1976, mate I've dealt with M&M for a few years now and they don't f around about the factories they carry. I wouldn't trust anyone else in that centre. You want the good reps that's what you pay. If you want typical Bangkok junk you pay peanuts...

AussieWatch

Looking Around
27/1/20
Have to agree with the above comments about M&M watches. Always good. Although you do have to ask for the good stuff they do have cheaper versions.

Just picked up a really nice AP. Pics below (apologies for quality of pics).

timnic54

16/2/16
Thailand
I am now in my 6th year living in Thailand. 5 of those years in Bangkok, never saw anything worth buying in MBK, watch or otherwise . Maybe it is different living here than visiting. For shopping paradise Guangzhou, Singapore, HK are a short flight away. May stay away from China till the heat dies down though.

Reactions: SuperLory

AussieWatch

Looking Around
27/1/20
I am now in my 6th year living in Thailand. 5 of those years in Bangkok, never saw anything worth buying in MBK, watch or otherwise . Maybe it is different living here than visiting. For shopping paradise Guangzhou, Singapore, HK are a short flight away. May stay away from China till the heat dies down though.

Given I split my time between SG, HK, AU and previously lived in BKK from 2006 to 2018 I’m not sure I understand the post.

Sure China is where you get most of the good stuff but that can be had in most places including BKK if you dig a little. After 6 years here I’d assume you’d know where to get the good stuff without the plane ride? Unless it’s just the “joy” of wandering around Guangzhou or Shenzhen that you enjoy ;)

timnic54

16/2/16
Thailand
Given I split my time between SG, HK, AU and previously lived in BKK from 2006 to 2018 I’m not sure I understand the post.

Sure China is where you get most of the good stuff but that can be had in most places including BKK if you dig a little. After 6 years here I’d assume you’d know where to get the good stuff without the plane ride? Unless it’s just the “joy” of wandering around Guangzhou or Shenzhen that you enjoy ;)

I guess if you look hard enough you can find anything anywhere. But Bangkok is not really rep land. Guangzhou however definitely is. In HK there are some great Gen dealers , as there are in Singapore also.

AusRepcollector

6/11/18
I guess if you look hard enough you can find anything anywhere. But Bangkok is not really rep land. Guangzhou however definitely is. In HK there are some great Gen dealers , as there are in Singapore also.

That's all wonderful if you're in Asia and can flit back and forth around the place including China. Me, I've been to Thailand like 4 times in last 5 years and SG many over the years. It's been 25+ years since I've been to HK and I've never set foot in China. So I always take the op to look for watches in BKK. This time I was happier than usual with my finds. I still do the vast bulk of my buying online from TD's.

Reactions: timnic54

Tomtank

Certified
5/9/20
Don’t know whether this is useful as an update or not but anyway, it’s current at least.

Recently returned from 2 months working in BKK and my experience in MBK pretty much mirrors what some of the above posters wrote. Although I definitely wouldn’t agree that there is nothing worth buying in MBK. You just have to look harder. It was the same at the end of last year when I was there for 6 weeks.

I trawled all of the rep watch dealers, probably about 20 in total, to see what was on offer and what they could get hold of. I was particularly after two things, a VRF Pirlo and an automatic Montoya Skeleton Daytona, but could have been - no I was - tempted by the right Submariner, Daytona, Yachtmaster or similar.

Bottom line:
There are 2 dealers I would trust, basically because they were truthful, they got me stuff at a decent price and didn’t try to fob crap onto me.
One of the dealers effectively has two shops and you wouldn’t necessarily know that unless you knew they were brother and sister. The brother passes you to his sister if you want anything really decent. She had some interesting stuff I didn’t buy like a DIW Carbon GMT and an AP with a tourbillon (no clue about AP or AP reps but it looked decent if that’s your thing)
The rest sell mainly pretty low end stuff and many try to pass crap off as high quality. They seem to operate as a number of mini-networks. I’m happy to name the dealers if it’s considered ok to do so.

I am not exactly a world authority on this and was just looking for a very narrow range of Rolex models, so the pretty obvious tells for me when checking out a dealer were:

describing anything at all, as Swiss - obviously a lie unless Zurich is now in the PRC
not knowing which factory something was from
not even recognising factory names
not being able to tell the difference between two YMs at different price points
trying to charge 24000baht for the same watch available for 5000baht 2 shops along
not knowing any of the really basic stuff talked about on here like CF bringing out a Daytona, or even that there had been raids in China.
looking blank when asked about movements like 4130 or 3135
telling me a £50 piece of quartz crap was good
trying to tell me it was a great attribute of a (cheap crap fake) Daytona they were selling that the subdials acted as a calendar
telling me they could get an automatic Montoya and then coming back with a quartz one, which I had told them I had already

I ended up coming home with:
A VRF Pirlo for just under £400 - which I think compares favourably with what they were going for at TDs when they were available, I could see before I bought and I didn’t have to pay postage or anything.
A DIW Carbon Daytona which I hadn’t planned on buying but it caught my eye. This is OMF not Noob so has the correct bezel font but also doesn’t have the movement.
A lower end Yachtmaster 126622
A Chanel for a friend (I have no idea about this but he is happy)

Last year I had also bought:
A Noob V4 116500LN Black dial and a VSF 116610LN - delighted to get both of these as it turned out.
An AdeG Barrichello and a Montoya (both quartz, and fun pieces)
A couple of Tags for a friend - I knew very little about these but he was happy

Anyway, make of it what you like.