• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

1 gen high-end watch or multiple reps?

cobrax

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
18/8/13
the best way, is my way. I own lot of gens and the same reps. Gens wearing, for special occasions, event, etc. Reps for common daily use, my Gens are safe and in great condition for next possible sale.

Reactions: vcappp

hahahanono

You're Saying I Can Sell?
20/3/13
This is a question of self satisfaction. No matter how many people answer you. You will still make the decision you think is best for yourself.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: vito1

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
Do what I did. Sell reps, buy gen, buy more reps ^_^

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Nikoteen

I'm Pretty Popular
12/5/12
It comes down to your expectations and what you have inside your head.
I could never afford a high end rep, but i have always loved watches so i get as many as i can lay my hands on - It's a drug.
I also love shoes - i have many
I also love tools, watchmaker tools (as I like to play with watches), general tools, mechanics tools (as I like to fiddle with motorbikes)
I also love tobacco pipes - I have many
" " lighters "
" " torches (flashlights) - I have many
Can you see a thread here?
When i like something, i like to have lots of it....I could never do that with really nice watches.
Having said that, some of my favorite watches are not expensive (e.g. Seiko's)

sub4me

Legendary Member
30/4/06
I prefer gen watches, nothing wrong with having a few reps, but kinda dumb to invest all your funds in reps only, F that.

Jdouglas10

18/11/16
London
Ive owned a few reps, breiling b01 and 116610LN most recently, the sub was a noob v7 modded by BK with swiss movement inside, ultimately it led me to buying a gen 116610 LN 2018 model in February, i just found the durability of the rep’s to be very poor, there just not built to be as tough as the gens, imo.

Hakai

11/6/18
Its stated as above, take the rep as a test ride for a year or so. If you highly desire still go gen, if you aresure it gives you that much more value... But iho if nobody calls you out with the rep there wont be much more value form the gen, then the whole in ypur pocket, and the feel you spent serious money on it.

For me its first wearing Rep>Gen, because i dont like sepnding few k on the same watch, if you go for the high end reps.

But some people feel like getting more value from the real deal and get a boner knowing they were able to afford it. If that you buy Gen. It all comes down to personal preference.
Honestly i was thinking about buying the Sea dweller as gen. I desire the watch a long time ago, first the sub now the more masculine sea dweller. And its a watch i would ware my entire life trust me on that. So i was good to go and ready to go to AP. I was telling me, that its reasonable to pay 12k on the watch after 10 years wearing thats nothing. But i saw the ARF V2 and that stopped my from going Gen. Literally saving me 11.5k on the spot.

Of course there arefew minor flaws which sometimes drive me nuts, but I know its the same with the Gen. And i knwo that even the Gen has some minor flaws, which would make me even mor insane.

So I stick to the Rep game

Reactions: vcappp

Automotiveromance

Known Member
8/3/18
For me, it’s 1 or 2 gens a year and a greater number of reps that can act as ‘test drivers’. If I like them, might buy them in gen. If I don’t, sell them off. Saves you a lot of money in depreciation on stuff you end up not liking. Even if I had a shit-ton of disposable income, would still do it this way.

Reactions: Jpme

arravan

24/3/18
I have mostly Gens. In fact I found this forum in March and purchased my first High End rep (a DSSD dblue) in May from Ryan at in time. After seeing the quality, doing the spongebob insert, soon a gen date wheel I’d say that this watch will be about 90% as nice as a any of my 3 gen Rolex’s at 10% the cost. It’s making me think about selling off my gen Tag Carrera, Omega Seamaster and other mid level Gens to get some cash back and get a few extra Reps. Especially seeing how good the PAM’s look!

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

onedgepits

Horology Curious
8/5/17
If I had to choose, it would probably be multiple reps vs 1 gen. I have a couple gens but mostly reps. I like wearing the gens for special occasions and having the reps for daily wear.

blehbleh215

2/2/17
Same, If one high end, it would be a Patek perpetual calendar.
the movement is too sexy ...

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
I won't say much that hasn't already been said, it's one more opinion. If you are into watches and forced into one of the OP's choices then I say a bunch of reps. If you can do a mixture of both, then I say do that. If you just want a nice watch and you are not really into watches then maybe one gen.

I like to have a bunch of watches & switch it up often. I started with reps 10 yrs ago, went gen only for about 7 yrs and now am back into reps. I think from now on I'll probably always have at least a few of each.

I will say this: it is a lot more fun having more watches. I do think owning some lower priced gens can make some sense too. Some examples of watches that I would buy in gen would be Seiko Divers, Oris 65, Squale Divers, maybe a Longines Legend Diver basically anything you can buy used and in good condition for <= $1,000 or so

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
Get multiple reps - sell them when bored - buy gen - sell it when you miss reps - buy more reps - sell them when you want a gen again ......the cycle continues.

How about get a gen sub and rep everything else?

efthimis

Mythical Poster
20/6/15
Get multiple reps - sell them when bored - buy gen - sell it when you miss reps - buy more reps - sell them when you want a gen again ......the cycle continues.

How about get a gen sub and rep everything else?

Lololol, story of my life!!!! So I got a gen Batman, gen LMPO (rare beautiful Omega PO) and then rep everything else with a TC and couple nicely modded Subs.. oh and a Daytona plus AP Diver.. I am done for this phase, now will get me a hot hatch, 40s crisis and all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

johnlogan

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/12/15
Lololol, story of my life!!!! So I got a gen Batman, gen LMPO (rare beautiful Omega PO) and then rep everything else with a TC and couple nicely modded Subs.. oh and a Daytona plus AP Diver.. I am done for this phase, now will get me a hot hatch, 40s crisis and all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Word

Reactions: Jpme

getamonmo

Looking Around
1/9/09
I like having several gens and more reps. Owning the gen is privilege. Gen has its own feel. Those have super detail precise finish done by the great craftsmanship. Those will not last. I like thinking of a day passing these to my son in the future.
At the same time the gens are somewhat boring. It is in finished, perfect shape. Reps are not. It can not be the gen and that is where the fun starts. Playing with movements, Franken the parts, it is endless hobby.
My 2 cents is to add a Casio. There are places and countries the gens invite troubles. I go these places with reps and a Casio!

rm2016

Known Member
26/3/16
Reps definitely are more fun and easier to swap and get new versions. Personally if I find a watch that I really love, get the rep first then if I still love it after a few months then I would consider the gen. Also haven't more watches in rotation is a definite plus and with higher end tastes it would get expensive going gen, and no one but watch people really notice. We wear them for ourselves not for anyone else.

stolt

Known Member
3/12/06
guys i havent yet bought a high end rep, i own a gen omega planet ocean and a seiko sportura which was a few gbp 1500 back in the day. Ive also bought some $50 reps from dh gate which ive been quite impressed. I want a high rep, rolex or richard mille and maybe a aquanaut but is there really much difference when spending $600 on a wach