• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Seconds at 6 explained

thedoover

Snow Monkey Ambassador
Supporter
Certified
15/6/10
Seconds at 6, explained

I have seen a number of questions asked over the years about what the “seconds at 6†issue is. I’ve also seen a lot of misstatements by members about whether or not seconds at 6 will impact the watch you are considering. To put the issue to rest, I wanted to piece together a post from other older posts that will consolidate the relevant information. I am not a watchmaker by any stretch, and the information below is information found on this very site, and is already available. It is taken from other members also, and credit has been given to them for photo's and quotes where applicable.

Also, I have never owned a seconds at 6 watch, so I dont have personal experience with it.

What is the seconds at 6 problem?
The Asian 7750 mechanical chronograph movement is designed with running seconds at the 9 o’clock position. To cause the subdial at 6 to act as the running seconds indicator, a gear train must be installed and the movement must be modified. The same thing must be done in the case of a seconds at 12 o’clock movement too.

Here is what truster watchsmith 14060 or 16610? had to say in a thread about the original A7750 movement:

for starters, here is a look at the "old-style" seconds-at-6 A7750. The running seconds transfer gears are crudely fashioned, with wheels that just revolve around press-fit pivots. This design lends itself to a higher friction load which, coupled with the inevitable A7750 dirt and grit, can eventually just freeze the movement up (more friction than the geartrain can overcome). Another common problem is that the pivots could actually come loose, leading to misaligned or dislodged transfer gears. So historically these movements, straight from the factory, kept poor time (extremely affected by position) or just stopped altogether.

Below are some pictures also taken from 14060 or 16610?’s thread where the gear train can be seen.

DSCF7083.jpg

DSCF7084.jpg

DSCF7086.jpg

What kinds of watches are impacted by the seconds at 6 problem?
Only watches with Asian 7750 mechanical chronograph movements, that have the running seconds on the subdial at 6 o’clock.

Chronographs with seconds at 9 are not affected.

Quartz watches are not affected, such as my IWC Ingenieur Quartz.
photo-1.jpg

Non-chronographs with running seconds at 6 are not affected, such as hand-wind models like the Omega Railmaster or IWC F.A. Jones.
OMG-2011-10-16-06-01_enl.jpg

IWC-2010-04-15-04-01_enl.jpg

Seagull ST-19 chronograph movements, aka Venus Lemania (not debating the accuracy of this other moniker)
Omega-2012-04-10-01_enl.jpg

What are some watch models that are affected by the seconds at 6 problem?
Rolex Daytona
RX364b1.jpg

IWC Portuguese Chronograph
IWCCAutocopy.jpg

IWC Ingenieur Chronograph
IW047b2.jpg

Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore Chronographs with seconds at 12
AP037b2.jpg

Are there modifications that can be made to make a seconds at 6 watch more reliable?
Graphite treatment
Graphite can be applied to the gear train to relieve some of the friction that can cause the movement to run slowly or stop. This is a temporary fix as eventually the graphite will be worn through.

Jewel modification
Additional jewels can be added to the gears in the gear train to reduce friction. This is a relatively expensive modification and it is very time consuming, but it appears to be a much longer-term solution than graphite treatment.

What about the newer 29 jewel movements that say they do not suffer the seconds at 6 problem?
According to 14060 or 16610? in his aforementioned post, the new movement essentially adds additional jewels to the gear train, just like the jewel mod mentioned directly above. His post summarized is that the movement appears to be working well in the watches he has serviced. However, he also notes that “there is still the matter of getting the gear heights adjusted precisely and taking steps to prevent pivot separation. The newer movement is no different from the old in these areas, and it requires skill and precision to get everything just right.†The pictures below are again from his post on the topic.

Jewel modded movement
DSCF1289.jpg

Gears with their added jewels
DSCF1075.jpg

Reference threads
Bonesey’s Rolex Daytona / Yacht-Master I & II Guide
The "New and Improved" Seconds-at-6 Movement Explained
By-Tor’s Review, FAQ& buying guide of ROLEX Daytona "Seconds at 6"
Domi’s time bomb solved, explaining the jewel mod

md2020

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
26/7/12
Thanks alt for this I've heard a lot of this secs @6 prob and I was also wondering Bout the jewel mod this it great I think ill order a watch with this movement now easy fix for ne if anything happens. Great post

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk 2

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
I know it's going to be a circular reference, but since you linked my Daytona thread, I of course have to link this in the Daytona thread :D

thedoover

Snow Monkey Ambassador
Supporter
Certified
15/6/10
I know it's going to be a circular reference, but since you linked my Daytona thread, I of course have to link this in the Daytona thread :D

Much obliged.

On a side note, if the Top Gun Miramar is ever repped properly it would have seconds at 6 too.

Sent through a series of tubes...

v5cog5

You're Saying I Can Sell?
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
8/6/12
Thedoover
Please if you get the chance can you post the same illustration /pictures of the gear train sequence for the secs @12 as i am keen to know about the service / graphite treatment to help make it a good daily beater as mine has a tendancy to stop alot :frusty:

not_finbar

Looking Around
21/9/11
Thanks, I've been lurking round here for ever but that's the first time I've fully understood the seconds at six issue.

whoknows

13/9/13
Thanks. Great post. Anyone have experience with the 29 jewel movements in the Daytona?

billyfras

Horology Curious
31/5/13
Great post. Especially for someone like me who doesn't know much about the inner workings of a movement.

Ar71888

26/3/14
Great post thanks for the interesting read

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

thedoover

Snow Monkey Ambassador
Supporter
Certified
15/6/10
Im glad this thread still gets hits. Makes me feel useful. Thanks guys.

Doright

Renowned Member
3/8/13
Yeah, nice job of explaining what many of us know nothing about....