• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How do you answer the 'is it real' question?

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
....yes it really tells time. It's really a watch.

DC69

Patron
31/12/20
"Does it matter?" Answered with a hint of disdain, as is the very question was offensive and a clear sign the person asking it is a gold digger unable to appreciate the beauty of it without thinking about the price tag.

Let me tell you a story, I'm a single guy on my early 30's with average build and looks. No matter how hard I tried I was never very successful on Tinder. One day I decided to use the points on my petrol station loyalty card to buy one of those "experience days" voucher packs since I was not going to use them for anything else. The experience I chose was a supercar driving experience where I got to drive a Ferrari 458 on a 30-some km course of local roads with a few strategic pit-stops to take pictures (the co-pilot had a reflex camera and that was part of the package). I ended up using a shot of me driving the Ferrari as my new Tinder picture and I suddenly got a lot more dates, without the need for endless, pointless conversation. Obvious gold diggers but I decided to roll with it and have some fun. Obviously when I show up at their doors in a Alfa instead of a Ferrari a few ask about it, so I just turn the tables and put the pressure on them by answering "not very practical for city driving, is it? Besides what does it matter? Are you interested in going out with me or my car?"

The point is, it's a matter of "selling yourself". Or as some say, fake it till you make it. Most people judge you by what you display, if you act confident and look the part, you are a successful guy and people will treat you as such, end of story. As for using replicas, not only they help look the part, they are also a smart decision. Personally, even if I was loaded I would hardly spend 10000€ on the real deal when I can get something indistinguishable (for a laymen in a social setting at least) for a fraction of the price. Sure, the original takes a master craftsman one million work hours to complete, only 5 people in the world can do it and it's the result of centuries of expertise and Jedi training. Who cares? It tells time! That's it! I would much rather get a rep that looks the same and does the exact same thing for a fraction of the price and use the extra cash I got to keep to travel, eat, get massages and spa treatments, enjoy myself. It's like a couple Hermes belts I recently got. The originals are 640€, that is about a month's minimum wager where I live! For a strap of leather with a H shaped buckle! My 8€ knock-offs look exactly the same and will last about as long. I had to be bonkers to buy the genuine! Other good example are suits. I get my suits tailored from AliExpress. I choose the fabric, choose the style (how many buttons, type of lapel, type of pockets) from the options table and send them my body measurements. It's cheaper than a department store entry-level suit and the result is usually pretty spot-on. People in my office compliment my look more than they do a colleague of mine who is addicted to Massimo Dutti and Hugo Boss and my wardrobe costs a fraction of his.

So, as most people around here say, "wear it with confidence" and if someone asks if it's real, it's none of their damn business!

Oh, I got another good answer: "it's as real as your boobs"

DC69

Patron
31/12/20
What I do if asked, is hand them my rep and say "You tell me"
99% of the time people have no idea what they are looking at and mostly people have said that it seems to be a gen.

This is even more funny, since I'm on a disability pension due to multiple severe ongoing illnesses, and I walk into the welfare office wearing my rep rollie asking for food stamps.

Feel a little like the rapper "Ol' Dirty Bastard" from the Wu-tang clan who used to roll up to the welfare office in a limo :p:p:p

Always a laugh seeing the look on their faces when they notice the watch itself...

You, sir, are a boss! I hope your health gets better soon.

Reactions: stedgar76

mkatvvatt

You're Saying I Can Sell?
16/1/21
Very interesting topic.
The way I look at it is if rep watch factory can produce very close quality and functionality from the Genuine regardless of their micro flaws , it is extremely difficult to justify the price of the genuine one and at this point I have no problem to say if I have been asked this is Rep .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

P..DR..D

- Pátrún Bródúil -
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
12/1/21
Éire
100% agree. Why spend 10, 20, 50 times the price for a genuine, if there are negligible visual differences and the primary reason for the purchase is not for its horological qualities.

mrkawasaki

Known Member
27/1/21
I was thinking about this and I would just let them have a closer look at the watch and tell them: "have a look for yourself" :)

Livewir3

30/11/18
Everyone saying nobody notices your watch. Not true. Yeah, someone that could care less about fancy things, I get it. But whenever I wear mine, you can tell people are zooming in - lol.

And that's where I feel odd because his probably wishing he could afford such a watch but little does he know it's a rep - LOL.

Never been asked though if it's real.

P..DR..D

- Pátrún Bródúil -
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
12/1/21
Éire
Everyone saying nobody notices your watch. Not true. Yeah, someone that could care less about fancy things, I get it. But whenever I wear mine, you can tell people are zooming in - lol.

And that's where I feel odd because his probably wishing he could afford such a watch but little does he know it's a rep - LOL.

Never been asked though if it's real.

all about whether you can pull it off :p

Reactions: Livewir3

mkatvvatt

16/1/21
I have been reading some articles from genuine Rolex groups.
And noticed some of the flaws people complain about in replica do exist in genuine one.
Some good replica have decent quality.
The deference I found is not the quality it is the value the watch will hold furthermore some replica looks and feels exactly like the genuine but holds no value in long run .
So the question means nothing if you not going to fool someone to buy the watch as genuine.which needs an expert to tell deference between dome replica and genuine.
Bottom line genuine one will give you the confidence about the value and the replica will not give you different feel or look in the wrist from the genuine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Howiehighdef

Looking Around
20/3/21
Honestly bro. I’m a new member as well. And I just ordered a AP. Yes its real. made with real parts it’s a real watch. If someone does ask if it’s genuine you could also say it is used because people sell used watches all the time. Just giving some insightful suggestion. And always keep a positive attitude on the approach

P..DR..D

- Pátrún Bródúil -
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
12/1/21
Éire
I have been reading some articles from genuine Rolex groups.
And noticed some of the flaws people complain about in replica do exist in genuine one.
Some good replica have decent quality.
The deference I found is not the quality it is the value the watch will hold furthermore some replica looks and feels exactly like the genuine but holds no value in long run .
So the question means nothing if you not going to fool someone to buy the watch as genuine.which needs an expert to tell deference between dome replica and genuine.
Bottom line genuine one will give you the confidence about the value and the replica will not give you different feel or look in the wrist from the genuine.

Re the feel part of your post, another thread you may like.

https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/replica-watch-general-discussion/9735816-franken-gen-feel

mkatvvatt

16/1/21
The only one can tell is rep is yourself.
What ever is perfect it is still rep you could feel inside yourself something missing.

Beefcake

1/7/21
If a friend or family member asked, I would tell them its a rep. I don't care about impressing people, and it might lead to an interesting conversation.

If a stranger asked, I would tell them its a rep, even if it was gen. Why would someone ask, its kind of weird. I'd be worried they wanted to mug me or scam me or something. I don't care about impressing anyone, so this way they are more likely to leave me alone and not try and steal my stuff. Because if you have an expensive watch on your wrist, you probably have other expensive stuff in your pants. Too much trouble to bother convincing them.

Reactions: keisuke_z