• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Nautilus 5711 (Blue) - 3K vs PPF v4

Nautilus 5711 (Blue) - 3K vs PPF v4

Votes: 93 60.4%
  • PPF v4

Votes: 61 39.6%

• Total voters

bombina

Known Member
17/8/15
My thoughts/opinions on comparing the 3K (left) to PPF v4 (right):
3KPPF v4

• Better blue dial
  • More accurate case shape, thickness and chamfering
  • Correct crown position
  • Cloned PP 324 caliber movement

• Better date
  • Better font (bolder, more accurate)

• Large first link
  • More expensive

• Lume is green tinged
  • Protruding crown
  • Lack of chamfered edges
  • Slightly thicker case than genuine
OOTB I think 3K is the better offering, but a lot of the PPF's short comings can be addressed a modder (hard to find a good one), which will significantly add to the cost of the base price of the watch. IMHO, if you can live with the larger first link, which can't be modded I believe, I would go with the 3K personally.

Would love to hear your thoughts!

neqpRQg.png

ZzTg2s.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Rel

bombina

Known Member
17/8/15
I embedded image to the original post, but it won't show up. Now when I try to edit the original post, it won't let me. Anyone know how I can post pictures? Thanks.

asuwere

2/6/19
I embedded image to the original post, but it won't show up. Now when I try to edit the original post, it won't let me. Anyone know how I can post pictures? Thanks.

Add the photos in a new comment.

Tobel

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/7/17
From what I've seen the 3KF dial is not better but worse. Too much sunburst and the PP text is not as strongly printed as the one on the PPF, making it look faded in low light.

Movement is a clone which on the one hand makes it closer to gen, but reliability is likely less than a good old Miyota, plus it has text printed instead of engraved so in the end not such a strength.

With the fat 1st link IMO that's too much and the PPF wins

gilrob

Legendary Member
Supporter
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
At this time I think a PF/PPF hybrid is still the best cost-effective option. 3KF will eventually make the best PP 5711 replica, since they have the "rights" to the 324 SC clone movement so they're just biding their time.

Last edited:
Reactions: srhoque

bombina

Known Member
17/8/15
From what I've seen the 3KF dial is not better but worse. Too much sunburst and the PP text is not as strongly printed as the one on the PPF, making it look faded in low light.

Movement is a clone which on the one hand makes it closer to gen, but reliability is likely less than a good old Miyota, plus it has text printed instead of engraved so in the end not such a strength.

With the fat 1st link IMO that's too much and the PPF wins

On the video comparisons I have seen, the 3K dial is better and consistent across many QCs, PPF dials are too inconsistent still and IMHO not as accurate. The lume on the hands and markers are green tinged instead of being white on the PPF, it is a noticeable blunder.

I mentioned the font being bolder in PPF as a positive on the chart, but honestly, I have seen many older Nautilus models which are similar to the 3K dial, and honestly a moot point in day to day wear, hard to notice.

The protruding crown is the big eye sore, and not a single Nautilus model has got it correct except for 3K. The PPF case shape is still not accurate both in terms of profile and thickness, likely due to using a modified Miyota. It is also missing the chamfers on the edge of the case. All this needs to be corrected by a competent modder, which is expensive.

The bigger first link it the only real negative on 3K model, but it is hard to notice when worn per those whom have the 3K model.

In regards to the movement, the "engraving" issue, this is so overblown. Having a cloned Patek caliber 324 movement is a true game changer just like the cloned Daytona movement by Noob. The 324 is a rock solid, simple movement, hence why it was in so many Patek watches for so long. I personally have the Aquanaut and it is 0 s/d on the time-o-grapher.

Have no dog in this fight since I don't have either, but I did this comparison from a neutral stand point, so I can decide for myself which to get and looks like after doing reading and comparing, I have found the answer.

Honestly feel that despite 4 versions of PPF, they still have a lot more issues to address than a V1 3K (don't see them releasing another version anytime soon either). 3K will be like Noob in the Daytona field, holding the edge always due to their cloned movement that they will continue to utilize in the Nautilus/Aquanaut and PPF, PF, ZF, etc will be playing second fiddle IMHO. I also don't see them lending the cloned movements to other factories, why would they?

grillbrill

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
9/7/18
EU
Owning and wearing a hybrid, modded PF/PPF blue for a while, my conclusion is that the following matter for me (and these characteristics may be aesthetically valid without even knowing the existence of this PP model):

- nice dial
- bezel and bevel width and their ratio, bevel angle (believe me they do matter in real life)
- not (so) protruding crown
- a good bracelet with a proportonal first link (believe me it does matter in real life)
- case thickness <= 9 mm
- robust movement

Last edited:
Reactions: LikeCaramel

tangokilo

I'm Pretty Popular
21/2/19
I searched for some pictures of the issue with the 3k larger first link. I could not find some. Would someone mind posting a picture of this issue to compare with normal sized first link.

bombina

Known Member
17/8/15
I searched for some pictures of the issue with the 3k larger first link. I could not find some. Would someone mind posting a picture of this issue to compare with normal sized first link.

I know timnic54 has the 3K Nautilus in white, maybe he can provide the pictures in regards to the first link and/or comments of his user experience with the watch thus far (he wrote a great review that you may want to check out). Unsure of he has a PPFv4 for comparison.

grillbrill

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
9/7/18
EU

You can check the pictures and the video at PureTime.

tangokilo

I'm Pretty Popular
21/2/19
Ok thank you I checked PureTime. Seems the 3k first bracelet link is very large indeed.

I'm sticking to my PF case and bracelet with PPF dial and hands with keylog datewheel. Neither the 3k or the PPF are better than the PF/PPF hybrid in my opinion.

Although I must say I like the 3k movement. Maybe we can put the 3k movement into PF case?

kk169

Known Member
7/1/19
I usually like clone movement and if 3K shore up the SEL and dial issues I will certainly get one!

G61

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
20/1/21
to see the best pp watch this video in this video the fake watch is a ppf3 the ppf4 dial has gray-green tones like the original https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faTFFSsOJ7o&t=126s so if we put the ppf 4 next to the original which has the dial on green I challenge anyone to recognize it on the wrist ppf 4 wins

Reactions: Morofra

weezkid

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
12/1/21
Lane Cove
Appreciate this thread, it seems that with proper servicing and mods, the PPF makes for better choice.

Accord11

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
2/12/20
to see the best pp watch this video in this video the fake watch is a ppf3 the ppf4 dial has gray-green tones like the original https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faTFFSsOJ7o&t=126s so if we put the ppf 4 next to the original which has the dial on green I challenge anyone to recognize it on the wrist ppf 4 wins

Great video... need to buy some gen hands now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk