• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Patek Philippe 5205G-013 Annual Calendar Review

Cheeps

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Patron
Certified
24/11/18
In case anyone in the EU ordered this or is going to order this and is looking for a brown ziczac croc strap - I have one. I initially ordered this watch and also the strap but changed my mind on the watch then.

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
In case anyone in the EU ordered this or is going to order this and is looking for a brown ziczac croc strap - I have one. I initially ordered this watch and also the strap but changed my mind on the watch then.

Mate can you send me some pictures of the strap. I can maybe use a brown strap. It is 20/18? And what about the length. A 20/18 in brown croc will fit my rosegold 5975R.

Cheeps

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Patron
Certified
24/11/18
Mate can you send me some pictures of the strap. I can maybe use a brown strap. It is 20/18? And what about the length. A 20/18 in brown croc will fit my rosegold 5975R.

Hey mate. I think we already talked via PM a few weeks ago. Strap is 120/75 and iirc it was too big for your wrists. 120/75 is standard medium size tho. Maybe it fits? If you’re still interested I can send you pics sure. It’s 20/18

Reactions: jm_brc_7057

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
Hey mate. I think we already talked via PM a few weeks ago. Strap is 120/75 and iirc it was too big for your wrists. 120/75 is standard medium size tho. Maybe it fits? If you’re still interested I can send you pics sure. It’s 20/18

Oh yes. Sorry! Now i remember. Off course. No it is too big for me. Well now you have shared the size in here. Maybe it fits someone else.

Reactions: Cheeps

_DC_

I'm Pretty Popular
3/1/13
London UK
I hadn’t paid too much attention to this rep since selling mine (which was an earlier attempt by one of the factories which had non functioning fixed day and month windows) but I have to say having taken another good look I think GRF have smashed this!!!

Here’s the dark grey dial next to a gen...

E8-AFD9-E2-6-C73-4734-B13-B-07-D247734776.jpg

And the case profile looks right too (previous incarnations have had the bezel way too short, it should be nice and tall, almost half the overall thickness of the watch)!

Gonna have to get one. I’ll go for the grey though, too much variation in blue dial to be close enough to gen (just look how long it’s taken to get a decent blue dial Nautilus).

DC

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
And the case profile looks right too (previous incarnations have had the bezel way too short, it should be nice and tall, almost half the overall thickness of the watch)!
This is a huge upgrade to the previous version. Functionally and aesthetically. Primarily the moonphase and date font which is different. Other than that it's really good. Bezel is tall and concave. Good choice on the grey dial version.
GRF are doing some serious efforts atm. This, their Nautilus and the 5524G.

Mononym

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/6/18
British Columbia, Canada
Great watch, I have one of the early versions that has the fixed date (perfect for those saturdays in march) LOL. Awesome review, very intuitive. Might look into buying the newer version soon

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
Great watch, I have one of the early versions that has the fixed date (perfect for those saturdays in march) LOL. Awesome review, very intuitive. Might look into buying the newer version soon

This new version is really fun to have because of the calendar function. Very practical.

tangokilo

I'm Pretty Popular
21/2/19
Just got new QC pics. It seems the 12 o'clock markers are a little off. Also the date windows may not be centered but not too bad. I asked for some additional pics showing different days and dates just to be sure. The amplitude is a little low but I can live with that.

Will probably accept anyway but wanted to post pics for everyone. It is really a great looking watch.

​​​​​​

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
Just got new QC pics. It seems the 12 o'clock markers are a little off. Also the date windows may not be centered but not too bad. I asked for some additional pics showing different days and dates just to be sure. The amplitude is a little low but I can live with that.

Will probably accept anyway but wanted to post pics for everyone. It is really a great looking watch.
This is a pitty mate. Your first one had perfectly aligned date complications, and i mean all of them! The 12 markers were the same as this one (a little bit off, but acceptable). Only thing was the 6 marker was misaligned, a bit more than this one. The date complications on this one are acceptable.
But there is some problem with the movement. It has too low an amplitude resulting in gain of 14s/day. I don't know if it's just in need of lubrication, but it can be caused by a faulty mainspring also.

Sorry to say mate, personally i wouldn't accept this watch. Maybe some of the more technical persons here can give their opinion.

Last edited:

tangokilo

I'm Pretty Popular
21/2/19
Thanks for the input JM. I know the last one was better in some aspects. I even tried to get the TD to keep the last one and just fix the 6 o'clock marker but it was too late they sent it back for this new one.

Interestingly the amplitude on the previous one was similar but the +- a day was only 5 seconds or so. I think the date windows alignment is acceptable on this one. Similarly the accuracy of the watch does not seem that troublesome to me but I'll wait to hear some more expert opinions on the timegrapher results I posted. I also was told in another thread to take the TD timegrapher results with a grain of salt since there are factors that can alter the results such as if the watch is fully wound or not.

tangokilo

I'm Pretty Popular
21/2/19
This is a pitty mate. Your first one had perfectly aligned date complications, and i mean all of them! The 12 markers were the same as this one (a little bit off, but acceptable). Only thing was the 6 marker was misaligned, a bit more than this one. The date complications on this one are acceptable.
But there is some problem with the movement. It has too low an amplitude resulting in gain of 14s/day. I don't know if it's just in need of lubrication, but it can be caused by a faulty mainspring also.

Sorry to say mate, personally i wouldn't accept this watch. Maybe some of the more technical persons here can give their opinion.

JM, my 5205 came in today! Just posting a pic, not a good one sorry about that.

Also, a couple of questions for you.

1. When advancing the date using the crown in position 3, fully out, the date (number) changes almost instantly around midnight. However, the day (Fri, Sat, etc.) does not fully change until well past midnight around 3 or 4 am. Is this something you have noticed on your piece?

2. When the date is Fri 31 December, as an example, and I advance the time with crown in position 3 past midnight, only the day (Fri) and the number (31) advance to Sat 1, but the month does not change to January. Is this also something on yours?

3. The pusher at 10 o'clock changes the day, but in order for it to fully change I need to press the pusher in twice. If you press the pusher once it leaves half of the day in the date window opening. Is this the same on yours?

4. The pushers at 4 o'clock and 8 o'clock are faux and have no function on mine. Is this the same on yours?

5. I think I may have missed a flaw on QC on the dial. On the dial, on the portion just below the moon phase opening, there are some streaks on the circular portion I thought were shadows but appear to be paint streaks. Take a look at the pic below and let me know if you noticed this on yours as well.

To be honest it seems well put together and the quality and feel are quite nice. As you mentioned in your review JM, there are some issues but it lives up to your well done review. I just would like to know if your piece is the same as mine or there is something wrong with the date wheels and the other things I mentioned above.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
JM, my 5205 came in today! Just posting a pic, not a good one sorry about that.
UApQD.jpg

Also, a couple of questions for you.

1. When advancing the date using the crown in position 3, fully out, the date (number) changes almost instantly around midnight. However, the day (Fri, Sat, etc.) does not fully change until well past midnight around 3 or 4 am. Is this something you have noticed on your piece?

2. When the date is Fri 31 December, as an example, and I advance the time with crown in position 3 past midnight, only the day (Fri) and the number (31) advance to Sat 1, but the month does not change to January. Is this also something on yours?

3. The pusher at 10 o'clock changes the day, but in order for it to fully change I need to press the pusher in twice. If you press the pusher once it leaves half of the day in the date window opening. Is this the same on yours?

4. The pushers at 4 o'clock and 8 o'clock are faux and have no function on mine. Is this the same on yours?

5. I think I may have missed a flaw on QC on the dial. On the dial, on the portion just below the moon phase opening, there are some streaks on the circular portion I thought were shadows but appear to be paint streaks. Take a look at the pic below and let me know if you noticed this on yours as well.
UACRk.jpg

To be honest it seems well put together and the quality and feel are quite nice. As you mentioned in your review JM, there are some issues but it lives up to your well done review. I just would like to know if your piece is the same as mine or there is something wrong with the date wheels and the other things I mentioned above.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

Congrats mate.
1: Yes. Common Miyota thing
2: Was described in my review. You have to change the month manually.
3: Yes.
4: Yes. I described that in the review.
5. No I haven't noticed that on mine. It must be a QC error. But its hardly noticeable. Not something I would think about any further.

Your date complications are very well aligned. It's a nice piece mate. You should be satisfied with it.

Last edited:

tangokilo

I'm Pretty Popular
21/2/19
jm_brc_7057, thanks mate! I can live with the slight dial flaw it's minor and only noticeable with some magnification and bright light shining on it.

Thanks for answering all my questions! Now just waiting for the deployant clasp to arrive and will be wearing this out!

tangokilo

I'm Pretty Popular
21/2/19
Just ordered an ABP blue leather crocodile strap for this. It's matte and dark blue and should really compliment the blue dial. Will post pics when the strap and buckle arrive!

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
Just ordered an ABP blue leather crocodile strap for this. It's matte and dark blue and should really compliment the blue dial. Will post pics when the strap and buckle arrive!

Interesting choice mate. I also thought about getting a matte dark blue strap for it, but went for the traditional shiny black instead. Will look forward to your pictures.