• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

May i kindly ask guidance from Patek's Connoisseurs before ordering please ? Aquanaut and Nautilus.

fire007

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
1/3/13
Hi guys,

First off, Many Thanks for stopping by and reading my post, i much appreciate you guys spending your time here...

I am about to order a few Patek reps after being out the the Rep games for some time.

Can I kindly confirm my "best" choice with you ?

1- ZF aquanaut ss black dial

2- Ppf Nautilus White Dial

3- PF or V6F Aquanaut Rose Gold ?

Many thanks again for your time,

Looking forward to read your advices

Cheers,

D.

Keylog74

Put Some Respect On My Name
14/6/13
1- yes.

2-yes

3- i cant answer but i dont think you can source a v6f anymore

Reactions: fire007

fire007

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
1/3/13
1- yes.

2-yes

3- i cant answer but i dont think you can source a v6f anymore

Merci ;)

I just double checked the RG ones, on both models thickness is a no no... will just grab 2 then , thanks again.

Chaosg

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/3/18
Merci ;)

I just double checked the RG ones, on both models thickness is a no no... will just grab 2 then , thanks again.

You are just fine with those two! Really, those are in another league, currently. Enjoy it ;)

PS: on a second thought, if you were into RG pieces, which IMO are more dressy by nature, I'd suggest you to check into the ZF Calatrava 5296 RG.

Last edited:

fire007

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
1/3/13
You are just fine with those two! Really, those are in another league, currently. Enjoy it ;)

PS: on a second thought, if you were into RG pieces, which IMO are more dressy by nature, I'd suggest you to check into the ZF Calatrava 5296 RG.

Many thanks for your insights much appreciated :)

the calatrava is a nice piece indeed, but I am somehow more attracted towards iconic pieces from Patek, The design... that Gerald Genta magic is a real magnet for me... I could write a prose on it, I just spent some time with a gen lately, I just fell in love... Cant afford the real one so i am so glad the current reps offering is within the forum Connoisseurs Tolerance :):)

cheers

mottykytu

4/6/13

I think this calatrava look awesome. But I think i would not go wil any Plate Gold Replica. Even the Gen PVD gold not last well, I do not think REP PVD can last more than 5 years...!

Please correct me if I was wrong !

Chaosg

26/3/18
I think this calatrava look awesome. But I think i would not go wil any Plate Gold Replica. Even the Gen PVD gold not last well, I do not think REP PVD can last more than 5 years...!

Please correct me if I was wrong !

I kind of agree with you, it doesn't seen that a gold plated replica could last long.

On other hand, though, there's plenty of brands that use gold plating. And if you wonder about long lasting, there are Omegas with gold plating from an era that we were not even born and are still going well.

My uneducated guess tells me that the thickness of gold is the key. I've seem quite lots of posts talking about "gold wrapping" and , really, is it even possible for a watch? Gold leaf wrapping is an ancient technique, but it does not appear feasible for a watch, specially with bracelet.

I suspect that if any info about this has something real behind, it would be in fact just a thicker layer of gold plated.

I'm far away from that field so all I can do now is speculate. But, the good thing about it is that we could simply go for a thick plating layer on that watches that are worth it, can't we?

cheers

Last edited:

mottykytu

4/6/13
I kind of agree with you, it doesn't seen that a gold plated replica could last long.

On other hand, though, there's plenty of brands that use gold plating. And if you wonder about long lasting, there are Omegas with gold plating from an era that we were not even born and are still going well.

My uneducated guess tells me that the thickness of gold is the key. I've seem quite lots of posts talking about "gold wrapping" and , really, is it even possible for a watch? Gold leaf wrapping is an ancient technique, but it does not appear feasible for a watch, specially with bracelet.

I suspect that if any info about this has something real behind, it would be in fact just a thicker layer of gold plated.

I'm far away from that field so all I can do now is speculate. But, the good thing about it is that we could simply go for a thick plating layer on that watches that are worth it, can't we?

cheers

Thank you, good opion

however when talk about Omegas (i'm vintage omega collector) the best of them is nót gold plated. I do not see much omega vintage do gold plate and last long until now!

I think what you mean here is the gold filled and gold capped (gold on steel) vintages ơmèga. Which is very different technique and much more thịck than any gold plate or gold pvd out there (gold capped even has solid gold bezel)

Last edited:

Chaosg

26/3/18
Thank you, good opion

however when talk about Omegas (i'm vintage omega collector) the best of them is nót gold plated. I do not see much omega vintage do gold plate and last long until now!

I think what you mean here is the gold filled and gold capped (gold on steel) vintages ơmèga. Which is very different technique and much more thịck than any gold plate or gold pvd out there (gold capped even has solid gold bezel)

Exactly, you're right on the money!

I couldn't recall the process name, only that it was thicker layer.

Really , I'm far from knowing the basics in this field, nevertheless applying a thicker layer of gold would suffice. I thought that plating via electrolitic process could achieve this layer but I am not sure of it would be eventually too porous. Do you have info about gold filling or capping processes?

Hope the OP doesn't mind this parallel talking here :chatterbox:

Last edited:

mottykytu

4/6/13

Really , I'm far from knowing the basics in this field, nevertheless applying a thicker layer of gold would suffice. I thought that plating via electrolitic process could achieve this layer but I am not sure of it would be eventually too porous. Do you have info about gold filling or capping processes?

As your wish, the comparition between 3 technique...
sorry Op

https://www.wabistraps.com/blogs/journal/different-types-of-gold-watches

Pope

15/2/19

You may want to check this thread: https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...grc-franken-build-including-self-gold-plating

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17

Lobster2010

Supporter
Certified
4/9/10
the calatrava is a nice piece indeed, but I am somehow more attracted towards iconic pieces from Patek, The design... that Gerald Genta magic is a real magnet for me...

cheers

The Calatrava IS iconic. What you probably mean is that you prefer Patek's sports pieces more.