• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

[PPF] Nautilus White Dial - Initial impression & Photos

xenic

You're Saying I Can Sell?
28/1/14
This is my first time doing anything like this. I know there are already couple threads like mine, so I'm sorry if it breaks the rules. I am just a guy who likes watches and enjoy taking photos. If you have any questions, feel free to comment down below.

Basic information:
  • Model: Nautilus 5711/1a
  • Factory: PPF
  • Dealer: Ryan at InTime
  • Diameter: 40mm
  • Thickness: 8.6mm
Flaws ("tells"):
Severe - Flaws or defects that can be noticed 30 cm+ away
Moderate - Flaws or defects that can be noticed <30 cm
Low - Flaws or defects that can be noticed under a loupe or hi-res photos
Feel - Flaws or defects that can be felt when held in hand
  • Severe
    • N/A
  • Moderate
    • Bezel thickness
    • Protruding crown
    • Uneven twelve o'clock markers
    • Occasionally misaligned datewheel
    • Incorrect movement (duh)
  • Low
    • Logo font
    • Print quality
    • Unfinished inner edges around the date window
    • 12 o'clock markers on mine reflect light differently and look like a mismatch
    • Imperfect lume
    • Other small imperfections (e.g. dust, scratch) on either dial or movement
  • Feel
    • Some sharp edges inside the bracelet
    • Bracelet clasp -- it's a battle trying to get this to open
    • Crown is rough to wind
Initial impression:
  • It's a high quality rep that seems to accurately capture the essence of gen design.
  • For the price, however, I wish the QC was better out of factory. If you read the megathread on PPF Nautilus, nearly every QC photo has either misaligned markers at 12 o'clock and/or incorrectly shaped markers at 1, 2, 4, 5, 7, 8, 10, or 11 o'clock positions.
  • Bracelet clasp is a huge pain to open. I expect this to be the first point of failure. If you know of a way to open this more gracefully, please let me know!
  • Regardless or quality issues or tells, its a beautiful watch.
Photos:
The watch arrived in this cardboard box
Vn38Qe.jpg

It ain't a rep without some typos. PPF really should do better quality "contral"
Vn3gtT.jpg

Ah... there it is
Vn3S2A.jpg

Quick wristshot after taking stickers off and dust settles
Vn3h6Q.jpg

Looks gorgeous, but the clasp is a total pain to take off.
Vn3HQX.jpg

Wears nice and thin
Vn339s.jpg

Sits on the wrist comfortably
Vn3m6h.jpg

PPF did a fantastic job on the decorative plate
Vn35TD.jpg

Now let's zoom in and examine finer details
Vn4Z38.jpg

I really can't screw in the crown anymore
Vn4E93.jpg

Rough finishing or lack thereof along the inner edges of date window is only noticeable with a loupe or in photos
Vn4UGR.jpg

The devil is in the detail, but there isn't one here... because well, it's a rep
Vn4eBf.jpg

Not perfect, but still beautiful
Vn4x8X.jpg

Wrist shot take two
Vn4Gyp.jpg

Last edited:

processengr

I'm Pretty Popular
16/9/15
Thanks for taking the time to post this! A beautiful watch, enjoy!!

mumum

Renowned Member
18/1/07
You take wonderful photographs...makes me like the watch more than I do LOL...what camera did you use...great review.

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
That's a very nice review format and man, what a fantastic series of photo you took !

May I ask what gear you used, your macro shot are crisp and you are spot on for the lighting (what lighting gear did you used ?) ! If you're not a protog, you sure have the potential to become one !

Thank you for taking the time !

maison888

I'm Pretty Popular
7/8/14
Are you sure you don’t work for Hodinkee?! :clap_1:. I’m more interested in your photog. setup, share please.

jrodshibuya

I'm Pretty Popular
11/2/11
I got mine today and had the same problem with the clasp! Glad to know it wasn't just me. I used index finger beneath one side of the clasp, in between the strap and the deployant part, and pulled up while pushing down on the other side. Stunning photos, absolutely phenomenal, great addition to the forum

PP4Ever

Known Member
8/12/17
Very nice photo you made .. Very nice watch you have indeed...

xenic

You're Saying I Can Sell?
28/1/14
You take wonderful photographs...makes me like the watch more than I do LOL...what camera did you use...great review.
May I ask what gear you used, your macro shot are crisp and you are spot on for the lighting (what lighting gear did you used ?)

Thank you everyone for your kind words. I'm really glad that you liked my photos and look forward to sharing more in the future.

Here's my gear list:
  • Fujifilm X-T2
  • Fujinon 35mm f/2.0
  • Fujinon 80mm f/2.8
  • Godox TT350F

Reactions: vcappp and Glaude

leo6929

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
2/5/16
Your pics just convinced me to get one of these. Great job.

Reactions: xenic

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
Thank you everyone for your kind words. I'm really glad that you liked my photos and look forward to sharing more in the future.

Here's my gear list:
  • Fujifilm X-T2
  • Fujinon 35mm f/2.0
  • Fujinon 80mm f/2.8
  • Godox TT350F

That's a nice set up but of course, it's worth nothing without a talent for frame composition and lighting ! Very good and inspiring job !

Reactions: xenic

PP4Ever

Known Member
8/12/17
Got mine yesterday and my wife just took it away from me....
My feeling is

• Moderate
    • Bezel thickness : Actually not , if you are not try to make it personal..
    • Protruding crown : Yes it is, should be considered on V2
    • Uneven twelve o'clock markers : I'm lucky and nitpick with the TD so it's pretty straight
    • Occasionally misaligned datewheel : A little but not a big deal and for 46 of age, my eyesight wasn't that great (Not even bother change DW modify)
    • Incorrect movement (duh) : Not compare to GEN but better than other in the market for now..
  • Low
    • Logo font : Yes a little thicker would be amazing
    • Print quality : Agree
    • Unfinished inner edges around the date window : Like OP said , Devils in the detail..
    • 12 o'clock markers on mine reflect light differently and look like a mismatch : My wife took it from me so.. later i'll know
    • Imperfect lume : Don't know yet
    • Other small imperfections (e.g. dust, scratch) on either dial or movement : a week with it would be seen more
  • Feel
    • Some sharp edges inside the bracelet : a little and I preferred PF bracelet, PPF feel flimsy or may be it just thinner
    • Bracelet clasp -- it's a battle trying to get this to open : Absolutely... same experience
    • Crown is rough to wind : Me too and i think it is 9015 character.. I don't think clean & oil will help much as i did with my PF before.
Initial impression:
  • It's a high quality rep that seems to accurately capture the essence of gen design. Yeah..
  • For the price, however, I wish the QC was better out of factory. If you read the megathread on PPF Nautilus, nearly every QC photo has either misaligned markers at 12 o'clock and/or incorrectly shaped markers at 1, 2, 4, 5, 7, 8, 10, or 11 o'clock positions.Yep
  • Bracelet clasp is a huge pain to open. I expect this to be the first point of failure. If you know of a way to open this more gracefully, please let me know! On the same page
  • Regardless or quality issues or tells, its a beautiful watch. It won't be this beauty if it is not from the picture you taken.

Reactions: vcappp and xenic