• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Ultimate Patek Philippe collection - a work in progress

jrodshibuya

I'm Pretty Popular
11/2/11
I've decided to try and collect 10 decent Patek Philippe reps, so I can fill a watch box with them. PP is the brand of watch I've always loved and wanted one before I found out how much they cost :(

PP reps aren't great for the most part, Nautilus and Aquanaut aside. Either because the complications are too difficult to replicate, or because demand doesn't justify the level of attention from the factories, most reps aren't particularly accurate and many are better considered 'fantasy' versions. I've come to accept that, as the biggest fantasy is that I could afford a Patek Philippe in the first place. So I've decided a missing complication or incorrect detail here or there isn't going to deter me.

I've spent too much money on reps in the last few months, so this collection will be mainly at the lower end of the budget spectrum, but hopefully they will all be decent for the money.

This is what my box should end up like:

- Nautilus 5717 blue dial
- Nautilus 5712 grey dial moonphase
- Aquanaut 5165A
- Grand complication 5970 - white dial
- Grand complication 5970 - black dial
- Grand complication 5004 - Rose gold - white dial
- Grand complication 5004 - white dial
- Celestial 5102
- Skymoon Tourbillon 5002P
- Chronograph 5070 (not ordered yet)
- Calatrava 5119G (not ordered yet)
- Ellipse 3738 (not ordered yet)

Here it is without the Nautilus complication, which has to be sent to Timesshop for repair. Also I'll buy the Chronograph 5070 soon. Got a couple of Breguet as placeholders.

IMG_7661.jpg

I've listed them in approximate level of expense - Skymoon tourbillon obviously the most expensive. First I'll post pictures and specifications of the gen. Then post the rep (photos of my reps when they arrive), and a brief note on the main flaws.

If you want to know "which is/where can I get the best/most accurate PP rep?" then I suggest you get a Nautilus or Aquanaut from one of the dealers with good quality control, it'll cost about $350 - $400 or so. The thing is that Patek Philippe are known more for their gorgeous and complicated dress watches, so getting a PP sports watch like the Aquanaut or the Nautilus (even though it's quite versatile) will probably leave you wanting more. Sure George Soros wears a n Aquanaut on a rubber strap with a suit, but that doesn't mean you should. I think the most disappointing aspect about PP reps is that there isn't a decent Calatrava rep - it's simple enough to be extremely well repped but the versions currently available are simply not very good, both in accuracy and in finish. Likewise the Ellipse - an extremely simple watch, as worn by Albert Einstein, but you hardly see any reps and those that you do see look rather cheap. Few people will know the full Patek Philippe catalogue (current or past) so the chance of someone calling you out based on a point of accuracy is extraordinarily low, but if the watch looks cheaply made then clearly it's not a gen PP worth $20,000 or so.

As for watches such as the grand complications, one can't expect a movement that a PP master watchmaker has been working on for 1 - 2 years to be replicated by a Chinese factory - even if they could, the relatively low demand wouldn't justify the effort. So there's no choice but to lower standards of accuracy. The question is, are the 21j or Lemania versions available remotely acceptable in terms of quality of finishing etc? I should be in a position to give my opinion on that in a few weeks once my orders have arrived. I suspect that the lemania versions ( http://www.replicamake88.com/products/PP08002-PATEK-PHILIPPE-CHRONO-WORKING-CALENDER-MOONPHASE-HAND-WINDER ) will be the nicest overall, even though it looks more l like the simple cousin of the 5970.

I have ordered all of the watches listed apart from the Calatrava, and Ellipse. The Calatrava and Ellipse should probably be the most well-repped PP reps, they are very simple watches really. Accordingly I would really like a higher standard of rep than is currently available for the price. The Calatrava at Watch Eden is probably the best http://www.watcheden.net/patek-phili...78739-p-1(if anyone finds a better one let me know) but it only just looks like it's worth the $108 it costs. And the Ellipse from Timeshop also doesn't look great for $93. I may purchase those later, but only out of a desire to complete the set, as I don't consider them really worth the money.

When I get the watches I'll review them. It may take a while as my wife is having a baby on Friday 17 June, so I'll have other priorities for a while.

1. Nautilus 5717 (blue dial)

Gen:

5711_1A_010.jpg

Notable specs: movement - 21,600 vph
Case Diameter: 34.8 mm
Case Thickness: 8.5 mm
Caseback: Sapphire Crystal display back

Rep:

IMG_6997.jpg

IMG_6994.jpg

Wrist shot:

260zjgm.jpg

As you can tell, my $68 Timesshop version doesn't have the right blue colour - it's more of a dark blue than the aqua blue of the gen. It does change depending on the light though. The sweep of the 21J is accurate to gen though :)

The MBK from Narikaa is regarded by many as the best rep, although it has it's downsides (e.g. closed case-back). See this thread for some analysis: http://www.replica-watches-guide.com/forum/index.php?&showtopic=8834

2. Nautilus moonphase - 5712 (gray dial - ordered but broke so have to send back)

Gen (blue dial)

5712-1A.jpg

Rep:

687-28563-thickbox.jpg

3. Aquanaut 5167
Gen:

007-8266-Patek-Philippe-Aquanaut-5165A.jpg

Rep:

IMG_7676.jpg

Here's a good review of a higher quality version rephttp://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/my-brief-aquanaut-review-69637
6. 5970 Grand complications silver dial

Gen - a bargain at $170,000 or so.

PP5970GSILVER-01NW.jpg

PP5970P-04.jpg

Notable specs: 18,000 vph movement, 40mm diameter. Dial is silver with white gold hands and applied hour markers. The hands and hour markers are painted a graphite color
[/quote]

Rep:

Perfection would be if the watch below could have sex with this one, keeping the beautiful movement visible through the caseback, while having the more accurate dial of this one. That's why I bought this one, so they can make watch-love and combine to become a pretty decent rep.

2v97k83.jpg

2il0xdu.jpg

Alternative option (not ordered):
Rep:

2vhswg5.jpg

PP08002_PATEK_PHILIPPE_3750TBJ_LEMANIA_6__89949_zoom.jpg

This is a fantasy version really, but the movement is beautiful so it makes it a fantasy worth having IMO. EDIT - I decided not to get this one in the end, as there are more accurate PP chronos, i.e. this 5070 http://www.asian7750.com/cn/product_...7&P_id=375&ti=

5970 Grand complications - black dial 21j This one keeps warlock time. The one Charlie Sheen lost/had stolen from an adult actress acquaintance.

PP5970P-01.jpg

Here's the rep. The size is accurate - only 40mm unlike most 21j reps of this watch, which are 45mm. The chrono won't work because it's 21J, but subdials do. It's not a proper moonphase, is a day and night indicator with a 24 hour dial with it.

The photos really don't do it justice, this is my new favourite dress watch. A nice size, 40mm and quite thin, it looks really good from a foot away (normal viewing distance).

IMG_7529.jpg

IMG_7526.jpg

IMG_7527.jpg

engraving on buckle on reverse side, which is accurate for PP buckles, I've now swapped it for the Calatrava cross clasp.

IMG_7528.jpg

Patek Philippe 5004G

This is rose gold but there are some grand complications gens made in rose gold so its not too unrealistic. Also it's 43mm, compared to 37mm for the gen, but should be a wearable size for me (just) and they're some of the better grand complication reps I've seen available.

Gen:

2vbtusp.jpg

Rep:

IMG_7665.jpg

Patek Philippe 5004P

gen:

ygi05.jpg

Rep

IMG_7673.jpg

5. Celestial 5102 G

This beauty is a mere $200,000 USD.

Gen:

15yhqpl.jpg

Rep:

2a7iekk.jpg

6. Skymoon Tourbillon 5002P

This is the big-daddy, priced at auction at appx. $1.2 million USD. That makes the chance of owning one rather absurd, but I couldn't resist. The gold reps are a bit more accurate (correct color hands) but I prefer stainless steel since it won't fade/get worn off. Also the color of the gold tends not to be so great.

Gen:

patek-philippe-sky-moon-tourbillon-ref-5002designerwatch3.jpg

Notable specs: manual wind 21,600vph)
Case Diameter: 42.8 mm
Case Thickness: 16.25 mm

Rep:

IMG_7532.jpg

IMG_7535.jpg

IMG_7517.jpg

Inaccuracies (from MM in this thread http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/inaccurate-patek-sky-moon-reps-57984
the gen has two crowns on the right.
the reps have one crown and 2 pushers on the right, another pusher on the left.

the gen has numbers 1-24 on the back dial.
the reps have 1-12 on the back dial.

the gen has sub dials that are further spaced out towards the edges
the reps have them all squashed in the middle.
(oh, this is probably what you mean by spacing)

the gen's 12:00 sub dial reads: I, II, III, IV
the reps 3:00 dial reads odd numbers 1-31 printed in and odd way, lol.

Calatrava (not ordered yet)
Gen:
5119G.jpg

http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/...pe-collection-work-78409?p=766862#post-766862

Notable specs: 28,800 vph movement, case diameter 36mm

9862-63020-thickbox.jpg

9862-63025-thickbox.jpg

Wuggy's thread has a good comparison with Watch Eden's version, which is overall better than TS's, but also $40 more expensive. http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/patek-5119g-rep-not-ready-77809

5. Ellipse 3738 (may order from Timeshop, but at $93 for a quartz rep it's not great value)

Gen:

m_goldenellipse_1.jpg

Rep:

Pretty underwhelming really:

784-28660-thickbox.jpg

jrodshibuya

I'm Pretty Popular
11/2/11
Ta. Yeah, heaps of work to do on the thread but I thought I'd kick it off and try and get stuck in at home tonight.

joshtammi

3/8/10
we can compare with my TAG collection when you are done:) except my TAG are cheap enough to afford the gens:) 3 down so far!

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
Thanks for sharing all the work you've put into this.

It really does show A) how unique and amazing a gen PP can be, and B) how the reps really aren't even close. I know they can't rep the functionality of the watches, but at least they could try to replicate the textured dial instead of using a smooth dial, or get the hand shape closer or the markings correct.
But I doubt any good reps will ever come for PP. The gens are too expensive for many rep buyers to try to "pull off", so demand will never be high.

jrodshibuya

I'm Pretty Popular
11/2/11
least they could try to replicate the textured dial instead of using a smooth dial, or get the hand shape closer or the markings correct.
But I doubt any good reps will ever come for PP. The gens are too expensive for many rep buyers to try to "pull off", so demand will never be high.

I agree 100%. Although highly frustrating It's something I've decided to just accept, and be happy with having a watch that is vaguely similar to a gen PP. I think I might make a list of the inexplicable errors that could be easily fixed.

My previous view was that I wouldn't wear a rep that I couldn't afford. Now my thinking is "f*ck it, no-one really cares or notices what watch I'm wearing/few people would recognise a Patek Philippe if it hit them in the face/they might think my parents are rich". A few different rationalisations for why I'm going to start wearing expensive watches that I like :)

Wuggy

7/5/11
California
Can't wait to hear your reviews of each one. And if you get a gen of each one too you can post pics of them side-by-side! :D

jrodshibuya

I'm Pretty Popular
11/2/11
Thanks for the encouragement guys. :) It'll take a while but hopefully by the end it'll be pretty comprehensive. If anyone sees some decent-ish PP reps other than those listed then please let me know. Also if you see a passable Calatrava or Ellipse rep then post the link here.

jrodshibuya

I'm Pretty Popular
11/2/11
I got QC pics for WE on the Skymoon Tourbillon. Not for the other 2 I ordered, not sure why. Actually I was surprised to get any QC pics at all from them. I'm happy with it:

2-1.jpg

1-2.jpg

As Wuggy suggested, I'll do a close comparison with a gen once I purchase it :lol:

Here's GC's 'devil is in the details' thread on RWG of this same watch. Well worth taking a look at:

http://www.replica-watches-guide.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=6959

jrodshibuya

I'm Pretty Popular
11/2/11
Others I'm considering below. This seems like an advertisement for Watch Eden, but the reality is that no other dealer has remotely the same selection.

http://www.watcheden.net/patek-philippe-classic-swiss-eta-movment-with-black-dial-i-22002-p-1

That's a rep of a Basel 2011 released watch - swiss eta supposedly but quartz! I'm still tempted, even at the ridiculous price of $138, that's how badly I've been bitten by the PP bug.

This world time looks ok, although I'd prefer not to buy any gold reps:

http://www.watcheden.net/patek-philippe-worldtime-gold-automatic-rose-gold-case-with-white-dial-leather-strap-i-47474-p-1

And finally the 5101G (also new at Basel 2011) tourbillon is actually quite decently repped, pity it's in black and not blue. Also not sure why the 12 is missing:

http://www.watcheden.net/patek-philippe-tourbillon-working-power-reserve-manual-winding-with-black-dial-i-39267-p-1

mbjoer

I'm Pretty Popular
17/3/09
Wow. You are really going for it!! This is great news as there is not much information about the cheaper Pateks.

I hope you will have luck with at least one of them. :)

jrodshibuya

I'm Pretty Popular
11/2/11
I still haven't received QC pics for the third watch from Watch Eden, and it has been over 2 weeks since I ordered them. I sent an e-mail saying to forget about the QC pics if it would make things quicker, but didn't get a reply.

Patience is the name of the game I suppose.

jrodshibuya

I'm Pretty Popular
11/2/11
I still haven't received QC pics for the third watch from Watch Eden, and it has been over 2 weeks since I ordered them. I sent an e-mail saying to forget about the QC pics if it would make things quicker, but didn't get a reply.

Patience is the name of the game I suppose.

Maybe Watch Eden reads the messages :) I just got QC pics for the final watch in my order. Charlie Sheen probably ordered this one to replace the one he lost:

dpbmdk.jpg

honeybear

I'm Pretty Popular
11/8/10
I've only seen one Patek Philippe in the wild, and it was a Perpetual Calendar, the 5140G if I'm not mistaken. It was across the aisle from me in first class on a flight, so I had plenty of time trying to sneak a glance at it, and I have to say, it actually takes quite a bit of effort trying to figure out what watch a person is wearing under shirt sleeves.

honeybear

I'm Pretty Popular
11/8/10
If I may make a suggestion, think of your current replicas as a test run to see which of the Patek designs speak to you. After which, you would be better off getting the best quality replicas of one or two iconic pieces. The best replicas currently available are of the Nautilus and Aquanaut. Some of the Seagull ST19 (Venus 175) chronographs are quite nice as well.

jrodshibuya

I'm Pretty Popular
11/2/11
Thanks Honeybear, that's a useful suggestion. I agree with you, the Nautilus, Aquanaut, and probably the 5070 (chronograph - http://www.asian7750.com/cn/product_...7&P_id=375&ti= ) are the most accurate. I like the Nautilius, not really a big fan of the aquanaut, the 5070 is more dressy so quite good I suppose. The thing is, I would much rather a decent version of a PP dress watch with complications, although that seems to be a pipe-dream, so that's why I'm buying the cheap approximations that might look ok from a distance but wouldn't stand close inspection. If there are better versions (e.g. of the grand complications) then I'll gladly buy them (let me know if you see any!)

Last night I ordered these (not TD):

pp1.jpg

pp3.jpg

pp2.jpg

http://www.watch-international.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=862

http://www.watch-international.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=848

http://www.watch-international.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=804