• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ZF Calatrava is out

enduser

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
29/7/20
UK
I have the 5296 with the standard (21 x 16) rep PP black croc strap, lengths 115 and 75 mm. Does anyone know of a long version of a similar rep PP strap for a dress watch? I know that a gen 21 x 16, 125, 85 version is made but I have never seen it in rep. Any help appreciated.

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
I have the 5296 with the standard (21 x 16) rep PP black croc strap, lengths 115 and 75 mm. Does anyone know of a long version of a similar rep PP strap for a dress watch? I know that a gen 21 x 16, 125, 85 version is made but I have never seen it in rep. Any help appreciated.

If it is because the 115/75 rep strap is too small for your wrist, you can get a custom made alligator strap from Camille Fournet or Jean Rousseau, or a find a bigger strap from fx molequin. There are other sellers too. These will not be PP branded but quality is up there.

You can’t buy separate rep straps in different size options to my knowledge. Usually most of us throw away the rep strap and use a alligator strap instead.

enduser

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
29/7/20
UK
Thanks. Agree CF is a good option qualitywise but didn't realise they did custom sizes. Will check it out, together with the two other recommendations. Thanks for the advice.

KSwatches

Trusted Dealer
29/11/18
Awesome watches. Here’s a daylight pic for reference (it’s not for sale):

The watch is very thin and the thin shitty rep strap kinda works with the thin watch. Have to be careful not to put the thin delicate watch on a thick custom strap. Otherwise it’ll look like the strap is wearing the watch and not the other way around. CF straps are way to go (Patek spec)

749405963d3d52a21251d28b3132d872.jpg

Last edited:

greenbeans

Known Member
12/9/20
Wanted to firstly say thank you all, I'm so glad I stumbled onto this world of reps. As always this thread is an absolute goldmine of info.

Having gone through the thread, it's clear that (strap issues aside) this is one of the best reps available on the market on the wrist.

There's just one question I still have that doesn't seem to have been directly addressed. Some have reservations calling the 5296R a super rep due to the open case nature. From the photos in this thread the ZF back looks quite excellent (to my newbie untrained eyes), so my question is what are specifically the difference/'tells' to the gen when it comes to the back?

gilrob

Legendary Member
Supporter
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
Wanted to firstly say thank you all, I'm so glad I stumbled onto this world of reps. As always this thread is an absolute goldmine of info.

Having gone through the thread, it's clear that (strap issues aside) this is one of the best reps available on the market on the wrist.

There's just one question I still have that doesn't seem to have been directly addressed. Some have reservations calling the 5296R a super rep due to the open case nature. From the photos in this thread the ZF back looks quite excellent (to my newbie untrained eyes), so my question is what are specifically the difference/'tells' to the gen when it comes to the back?

It could be because of the movement used, the Miyota 9015 does not look like the gen movement even with all the markings and engravings.

Reactions: jm_brc_7057

LebronXiJames

3/11/19
Texas 🤠

The movement is going to be one, as the previous member mentioned. The gem color is more reddish whereas it should be more purple. Fingers crossed one day the 3k factory will make a calatrava rep with the 324 clone movement

greenbeans

Known Member
12/9/20
The movement is going to be one, as the previous member mentioned. The gem color is more reddish whereas it should be more purple. Fingers crossed one day the 3k factory will make a calatrava rep with the 324 clone movement

Thanks a lot for the reply. Does the entire movement have to be cloned for it to be a super rep? I thought the criteria was just cosmetic, so if I understand correctly even if they decorated the open back to the extent there were negligible visual tells, it cannot be a super rep due to it being a decorated movement?

Is the gem colour the only clue on the back? ZF really have nailed this one!

Thanks for the insights.

Rol.exe

You're Saying I Can Sell?
17/8/20
New Zealand
The ZF 5296R is considered to be NWBIG (not worth buying in gen). These are usually divided into 2 classes; super-reps and first class. All Super Reps are NWBIGs but not all NWBIGs are Super Reps. A Super Rep will never be an exact copy inside and out as a gen but a closer inspection would still make difficult to spot the differences. Having said that, a first class rep would still fool 99.9% of the population if passed off as a gen.

The general rule appears to be that any rep with an open back cannot be a Super Rep, although, one day it's possible that this may change. While the Miyota movement has been designed to look more like the gen movement, a side by side comparison quickly reveals differences. Again, to the overwhelming majority of people, you would need to have them side by side. If you handed it to someone who knew the piece they may be able to spot this, but how many people know their PP 5296's that well. The red colour of the sapphires is a big tell and I'm not sure why factories aren't able to get a more purple hue. The Miyota is also quite loud according to many and it is recommended that this is oiled. There are guides to doing this but I'd recommend finding a rep friendly watchsmith as the screws are tiny and you need to use the right type of oil in the right quantity.

On your wrist, a pristine 5296R rep would be very difficult to spot as a fake (other than whether the rest of your lifestyle is consistent with owning such a piece). With time, the rose gold plating may wear and that will be a tell, but other than that, it is a very good rep (by almost universal accounts) and I can't wait for mine to be delivered.

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
Coating problems are often exaggerated. Most reps can hold up many years without discolouring/fading.

regarding the first class nwbig definition, the consensus on the forum is, that it basically means ‘super rep’ on the wrist. To classify as a super rep off course requires that the caseback doesn’t reveal it.

Its not often gold plated watches get a ‘nwbig’ or first class nwbig status because of the differences in shades of for example rose gold. And that you can often see the difference between gold plated metal and solid metal.

But this 5296R is pretty well executed so it has gotten that status anyhow.

Even if you have the eye for it, in my opinion you can spot the difference.

kk169

Known Member
7/1/19
Awesome watches. Here’s a daylight pic for reference (it’s not for sale):

The watch is very thin and the thin shitty rep strap kinda works with the thin watch. Have to be careful not to put the thin delicate watch on a thick custom strap. Otherwise it’ll look like the strap is wearing the watch and not the other way around. CF straps are way to go (Patek spec)

Can you share with me the exact spec of the CF straps you ordered for this? At $249 it's not cheap but I agree it would really make this rep shine!

Rol.exe

You're Saying I Can Sell?
17/8/20
New Zealand
Even if you have the eye for it, in my opinion you can spot the difference.

Did you mean even if you have an eye for it, you CAN'T spot the difference?

Were you referring to on the wrist or in the hand?

Also, you have an amazing collection of Pateks. Much respect!

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
Did you mean even if you have an eye for it, you CAN'T spot the difference?

Were you referring to on the wrist or in the hand?

Also, you have an amazing collection of Pateks. Much respect!

Thanks buddy.

No, I actually meant that you can spot the difference between solid gold and gold plated. Also on the wrist. If you have an eye for it.

Jewellers can see it, ADs can.

Let me explain you. I was in a Cartier store, my friend wanted to buy a love bracelet for his girlfriend. The love bracelet was solid gold while the screw driver to open it was plated (high quality plating). I could see the difference so I asked the salesperson and got it confirmed that it indeed was plated.

Same goes to when I bought my AP perpetual calendar which is in yellow gold. After that I couldn’t unsee the difference in plated reps vs the depth of the look of solid. My APs buckle is plated and it’s clearly visible.
Off course the thicker the plating it’s more difficult to see.

Regarding the 5296R I think it’s visible but in a way that it leaves you a little in doubt if you don’t know. The polishing and plating is very good on the ZF that’s why.

If you have a gold watch side by side you would be able to see the difference.

The problem is the same with reps of platinum and white gold watches. They also look slightly different than SS reps

But Patek has since 2006 as I recall stopped coating their white gold watches with rhodium plating. Therefore their white gold now is slightly more grey than before 2006. Hence it’s slightly more difficult to spot if it’s steel or white gold.

But white gold is slightly more yellow.

To answer your final question ‘in hand’ I would say the biggest tell is the markers and hands. On any watch with gold markers/hands (fx Rolex Gmt / subs, Pateks, Nautilus etc) you will see when holding the gen that the markers are more yellowish and shiny and there’s a difference in color from the case on the gens. On the reps it’s the same. So the metal color reveals it.

Roguetheory

7/9/20
EU
Has anybody added a deployant buckle to their 5296 either in RG of SS? Would love to see a picture :)

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
Has anybody added a deployant buckle to their 5296 either in RG of SS? Would love to see a picture :)

Personally I don’t like the look of it but I don’t have a picture. The 5296 is a very thin and elegant piece and therefore the thin small pin buckle is perfect for it. The clasp is big/chunky and wouldn’t look good. Also the rep clasps are 18mm wide.
Patek makes some for their 3940/3970 watches etc which are 14mm. That would make better sense. But you won’t get one of those in rep. They’ll cost around € 1,8-2K for a gen.

WatchCool90210

20/1/17
pulling trigger on this ZF RG CALATRAVA.

May i ask:

how serviceable is the FACTORY LEATHER BRACELET?

I dont want to spend 400$ish then have to spend another 400ish on a GEN STRAP.

Thanks