• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Nautilus date wheel project

BIONONE

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/4/17
i saw this and i was like: Have to ask you if the dw is same as PF :D

lets see how it turns out in the end. i did not have the gen measurements to compare it to the PF but comparing it to the diameter of the date disc and the matching of the numbers i can say the PF custom DWO is pretty close to the real deal.

But in the end it depends on 0.XXmm to achieve a decent look - so fingers crossed :)

Reactions: vcappp

nipe

PINK PONY RIDER
9/4/16
EU
Here is a comparison.
Left is DW project, right is Gen.

I am Waiting to install in PF date wheel windows and how it appear. Way better than current reps dw.
Congrats for these amazing works and efforts.
eykGF.jpg

Any plans on making the font slightly thinner?

nipe

PINK PONY RIDER
9/4/16
EU
Come on mate - the time and money invested into this project from Keylog74 & BIONONE, let's just be grateful they've got us a date wheel that no one's going to be able to call out unless they're carrying around a Patek datewheel which let's be honest, even a lunatic wouldn't do.

Hey look, I'm going to buy one either way!

I'm just saying - IF you're making a datewheel, then why stop at 88% if you can reach 99% with just one small adjustment. From what I can see in the comparison (the pic quoted above) then whereas the font earlier was too thin, it's now just slightly too bold. Everything else seems perfect. I don't see that it's a big problem giving the print-guy a new source-file for the print for running the next batch (if they are going to run a next batch)

Keylog74

14/6/13

This is the first time i hear about this issue. Anyway there is something worth to be quoted. The patek had a thicker DW print on early model, specially with the more gray than blu nautilus dial.

Last edited:

nipe

PINK PONY RIDER
9/4/16
EU
This is the first time i hear about this issue. Anyway there is something work to be quoted. The patek had a thicker DW print on early model, specially with the more gray than blu nautilus dial.

It could also just be the camera making the font appear thicker than it is. (at least on the photo I quoted) - in the installed pics it looks pretty good tbh. Hope to see some more pics in more natural light if possible!

Is this ready to order+ship?

Keylog74

14/6/13
It could also just be the camera making the font appear thicker than it is. (at least on the photo I quoted) - in the installed pics it looks pretty good tbh. Hope to see some more pics in more natural light if possible!

Is this ready to order+ship?

Here an old pic of my old 5711 sold in 2015 for just 22k
f0718c75df08040a67501c3fdbfd6302.jpg

BIONONE

28/4/17

the current file was adjusted under 50x magnification to match the gen sample (the only way to get access to this sample was the PP file on their website and various pictures)

That being said - the boldness had to be adjusted by the tolerance that occurred during the printing process - the font shrunk during this bespoken printing process. So the difference had to be examined between the printed DW and the file itself. That was added under the already mentioned 50x magnification.

I know what you are talking about but it would be guessing rather than measuring. And of course we are not patek themselves - they can produce 200 trials with errors without a glimpse of regret hehe.

But i agree with you 88% are not enough - while this project is at its 98% regarding specs ;)

i hope that clears the thing a bit up.

nipe

PINK PONY RIDER
9/4/16
EU
date wheels shold deliver this week, once recived the shipping will start in order of oders recived.

Is there a short supply? How is the stock looking?

I'm guessing with some standard watch-makers tools one should be able to change the wheel on his own? Caseback off - crown out - movement+dial out - hands off - dial off - change DW and then assemble again?

SuperLory

Well-Known Repist
22/10/15
Is there a short supply? How is the stock looking?

I'm guessing with some standard watch-makers tools one should be able to change the wheel on his own? Caseback off - crown out - movement+dial out - hands off - dial off - change DW and then assemble again?

it's a DWO

dadog13

Supporter
Certified
15/3/06
I know this is a bit off topic but seems that here is the biggest focus of Nautilus lovers currently.

Would this dw fit a gen dial?
what is a fair price for a gen dial - blue PP Nautils 5711?
Does it make sense for anybody to upgrade the dial to gen (even though I doubt that the price of a gen dial would be reasonable)

Nivka

10/4/15
Australia
I know this is a bit off topic but seems that here is the biggest focus of Nautilus lovers currently.

Would this dw fit a gen dial?
what is a fair price for a gen dial - blue PP Nautils 5711?
Does it make sense for anybody to upgrade the dial to gen (even though I doubt that the price of a gen dial would be reasonable)

They’re about 3-4k. Don’t know if the dwo would fit