• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Advice needed for 3KF 5167a-001 Patek Philippe Franken Project

r3plik4

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/8/21
great read and really good advice you provided there. a franken 5167a projecxt is still on my bucket list hence i was on the look-out for a dial as well.
i did found this one here and when i double checked i noticed the scratch right next to the 9.

is this the dial you bought? I am wondering why it is still up on chrono..

https://www.chrono24.de/patekphilipp...id19676713.htm

Sorry I missed this query. For some strange reason, I am unable to see the listed dial from your link. Might have something to do with it being in the German locale of Chrono.

If the dial has a scratch next to the 9 and it’s being listed from France, then there’s a good chance it’s the same item.

A quick check on my transaction history shows that the purchase is completed, but the dealer still hasn’t updated the status of the dial. Not sure why. It’s still worth enquiring though, cos who knows, they might still have stock for the dials, but are just to lazy to amend their listings.

Good luck your the search and all the best on your project!

Last edited:
Reactions: Burbizia

Burbizia

29/8/20
Sorry I missed this query. For some strange reason, I am unable to see the listed dial from your link. Might have something to do with it being in the German locale of Chrono.

If the dial has a scratch next to the 9 and it’s being listed from France, then there’s a good chance it’s the same item.

A quick check on my transaction history shows that the purchase is completed, but the dealer still hasn’t updated the status of the dial. Not sure why. It’s still worth enquiring though, cos who knows, they might still have stock for the dials, but are just to lazy to amend their listings.

Good luck your the search and all the best on your project!

dial is 100% yours-
Strange enought.
Was about to buy it myself, but this is shady.

EDIT: gone now....

Last edited:

APpee

22/4/20
London, UK
Oh man, you managed to secure gen hands? I’ve been searching high and low to no avail. Lucky you!

If you don’t mind, would love to see some pictures of your build.

Awesome thread buddy great to see more 5167 frankens! I have a gen rotor in mine, if your rep rotor is causing an issue that could be a option.

My build is
Gen dial, hands, DW, strap, rotor
3kf case (reshaped bezel to big ootb)
ZF clasp (better than 3k)

Note - if you get gen hands these will need modding to fit the 324 cal movement. Yes it is do able on all hands not just the second hand

APpee

22/4/20
London, UK
after doing a butt ton of research i found that the DW alignment issue occurs quite often in gen watches as well. If the DW and the dial aren't born together from patek they tend to have misalignment issues.

This isn't actually true, while there are definitely DW flaws when using gen dial & DW if you use the auto quick wind setting to set the date you will see it aligns perfectly. If you leave it to manually change daily then this is where we have the misalignment issue.

Peguine

Mac and Cheese sucks
18/3/19
At a mcdonalds birthday party
This isn't actually true, while there are definitely DW flaws when using gen dial & DW if you use the auto quick wind setting to set the date you will see it aligns perfectly. If you leave it to manually change daily then this is where we have the misalignment issue.

It actually depends bro, I’ve owned and worn quite a few gen and franken examples of 324 movements. That’s just my observations, datewheels and dials from different periods don’t necessarily align fully.

RD35

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
23/3/21
It actually depends bro, I’ve owned and worn quite a few gen and franken examples of 324 movements. That’s just my observations, datewheels and dials from different periods don’t necessarily align fully.

I indeed saw gen watches with misaligned date..

APpee

22/4/20
London, UK

Yes of course, this can be the case with many gens. What I mean is extreme unalignment as in the case of a gen dial on a rep movement. Although with the quick set date function it lines up perfectly. Very puzzling

Peguine

Mac and Cheese sucks
18/3/19
Yes of course, this can be the case with many gens. What I mean is extreme unalignment as in the case of a gen dial on a rep movement. Although with the quick set date function it lines up perfectly. Very puzzling

it depends i think cos the 3k design is based on a older aquanaut but i may be wrong legend had a painful time ensuring that the movement worked well with the gen set for my watch. This could mean that the compatibility for gen parts with the 3k may vary based on the year of production of the gen parts. As always i may be wrong and legend may be able to weigh in on it.

APpee

22/4/20
London, UK

Peguine

Mac and Cheese sucks
18/3/19

for mine its the opposite the quickset puts it out of alignment whilst rotating it using the hands gives it perfect alignment

APpee

22/4/20
London, UK
it depends i think cos the 3k design is based on a older aquanaut but i may be wrong legend had a painful time ensuring that the movement worked well with the gen set for my watch. This could mean that the compatibility for gen parts with the 3k may vary based on the year of production of the gen parts. As always i may be wrong and legend may be able to weigh in on it.

That's good to know! Wouldn't a lot of the gen parts being interchangeable depend on the movement? And the movement is a 324 clone regardless of the year of production it is based on.

The main visual flaw on the 3kf case for me was the oversized bezel but I had this modded, it looks really impressive now

Reactions: ywg

bill33

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
12/5/12
UK

Can confirm your not alone. My franken with dial and disc does it also. Quick set lines it up perfectly though, incredibly odd.

bill33

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
12/5/12
UK

My franken with real dial and disc does it also. Quick set lines it up perfectly though, incredibly odd.

Garuda

I'm Pretty Popular
15/12/12
i suspect that part is wrong shape, needs greasing or needs a stronger spring to push the disc into position?