• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

REVIEW - Ferrari Scuderia 008

b16a2

13/1/07
Backgroundcopy.jpg

Having not written a review for a long time, I thought I would begin 2010 with a review of a brand that I am most passionate about (Ferrari that is).

I would like to say thank you to Tony at asian7750.com for supplying the watch. Delivery was actually astonishing, the fastest I have ever experienced and the communication has been flawless.

Rep collectors, welcome to my review of the Panerai designed Ferrari 008 Scuderia…

Ferrari has always been the one car manufacturer that I have admired. They’re cars aren’t built to satisfy people who want to show their wealth, in essence, they are built from heritage and a passion for racing.

The 008 replica 008 has become well known for its incredible accuracy to the genuine, so I decided to mix my interest of watches and Ferrari, so here is are my thoughts of this wonderful replica.

History

Prior to Panerai, Girard-Perregaux was the official timekeeper for Ferrari. However, after that contract had lapsed, Panerai filled the gap, and began production of the Ferrari inspired watches in 2006.

The watches were designed to reflect the lines of Ferrari’s cars, and the watches are split into two categories; GranTurismo and Scuderia.

ComparisonPicturecopy.jpg

Background Information

The Scuderia 008 that is the subject of this review comes in just one format. However, there are other Scuderia watches that share a similar design;

ScuderiaCollectioncopy.jpg

The 008 which is the subject of this review is based on a chronograph movement, which counts seconds and minutes, with the ‘seconds chrono sub-dial’ having its design firmly based on a rev counter dial that you would find in a car.

Vital Stats

Case Diameter – 45mm
Water Resistance – 100m
Power Reserve – 46 Hours (self winding – cal. XII)
Crystal – 1.9mm thick Sapphire (inner AR coating)

Accuracy to the Genuine

Front

The 008’s reputation for being the best out of the box Pam is well founded. The overall replication is true to the genuine.

The only flaw I could find is a very minor one on the dial itself. The word TACHYMETER is a hair too far around in the clockwise direction. The 5 minute marker on the genuine would cut through the right hand side of the letter ‘M’, whereas on the replica, it would cut through the middle.

Apart from that, the 008 really is astonishing in the accuracy department, and I feel even if you had the genuine right next to it, you would be hard pushed to tell them apart.

Not only are the aesthetics almost 100%, but the overall quality is also very good. The texture of the dial is very good, and the print is clear.

Frontcopy.jpg

Back

The back is very nicely finished, and it matches the front in terms of quality and accuracy.

The only thing I would point out here is that the OFFICINE PANAERAI engraving appears too far clockwise around the case back. On the genuine, the word Panerai finishes above the horse, whereas on the replica, it starts above the horse engraving.

Other than that.........who wouldn’t love the colour of that yellow strap when you remove it from your wrist!

backcopy.jpg

I removed the deployment clasp for comfort as I found the edges to be quite sharp. However, I will be using a bit of wet and dry to try and smooth it off a little. The clasp itself is again very well made. It locks in securely and has a very nice brushed look to it!

Clasp.jpg

Other

From the side view you can see how well this is made…lugs are the correct shape, pushers and crown are replicated precisely….another thumbs up in this area. On the back of the crown, there is a little yellow dot, and that even ends up in the correct position when the crown is screwed in!

sidecopy.jpg

Conclusion of flaws

Conclusion of flaws on front
Tachymetre wording slightly too far around the dial (clockwise)

Conclusion of flaws on rear
OFFICINE PANERAI engraving is too far around the case back (clockwise)

Conclusion of other flaws
None that I am aware of

Final Thoughts

The Replica
I really feel that the 008 strikes the balance between dedicating itself to the Ferrari heritage, but not overdoing it and making the watch look tacky.

It looks really classy when it’s on the wrist, and does get a few admiring glances in the bars.

You can see the origins of the Panerai design, and I think the combo of the Panerai and Ferrari brands comes together really well.

Not only is this watch one of the most accurate out of the box replicas available, it is well made, feels robust and is in my opinion, a beautiful watch.

Closing Pictures

P1020303.jpg

P1020317.jpg

P1020307.jpg

P1020316.jpg

P1020315.jpg

Pix

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
Thx for that, a very informative post on a now classic rep.

I've always liked the Ferrari models, but they're too big for my wrist... and so thick.

From your pics, the 019 looks smaller : is that correct ? Maybe that one would fit my wrist :)

What about the lume ?

rooster133

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/7/08
What a great review!! Thanks so much for that. I'm going to read it again more carefully now...
:)

Exploder

I'm Pretty Popular
23/3/08
Excellent review - thanks! Haven't bought a watch for a long time now, maybe the Fer008 should be the next buy.

How is the strap?

Cheers, Xplodr

lan61t

Renowned Member
7/4/08
one thing that i dont really like with this watch is the AR

relayman

12/9/09
Great info, thanks. I have always liked the Ferrari Pams but just don't know very much about them.:huh:

b16a2

13/1/07
Thx for that, a very informative post on a now classic rep.

I've always liked the Ferrari models, but they're too big for my wrist... and so thick.

From your pics, the 019 looks smaller : is that correct ? Maybe that one would fit my wrist :)

What about the lume ?

No worries :) As far as I know, the 019 is 40mm yes.

Lume is ok, nothing like Ziggy lume, but it's ok for a rep.

Excellent review - thanks! Haven't bought a watch for a long time now, maybe the Fer008 should be the next buy.

How is the strap?

Cheers, Xplodr

Strap is probably the biggest let down, but it's not the worst strap by far but on a watch of such high quality it is probably the weakest area.

Pix

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
So all I need now is a 019 rep : manufacturers, if you read me :)

deanr

Horology Curious
9/11/09
The gens seem to have a really small bevel or soft corner on the pushers, not sure if the rep does some of your photos look like no some look like maybe

nielsen

I'm Pretty Popular
22/1/08
Thanks for the great review. I don't typically like 'car watches' but this one, well......