• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Vintage Panerai 3646 - A fire that keeps burning

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
RADIOMIR PANERAI 3646

A fire that keeps on burning

I can't seem to get bored of building vintage 3646's, so here's a project that took a long while to complete, but was worth the wait.

Here are the specs:

- NW 3646 tall bezel case set with modded movement ring, soldered, aged, polished, aged by me
- NW 3 piece dial, anodized, resin filled, lumed and aged by Mark_Midlands
- River heat blued steel hands aged and lumed by me
- Molnija 3602 with Dellone Rolex bridges and tall CP+HW mod by River
- Sternkreuz HW plexi

Although I almost lost hope I could have this dial I have to say that when I finally got it it was breath taking . I did my best to suit it with a case/hands/plexi work that could live up to its beauty.

The only let down is that, despite my efforts to adapt a River display caseback to NW movement ring I ended up realizing it just can't be done unless one can re-machine and re-thread the inner caseback.

A few pics of the finished build

And a few more under direct light to show the awesome work done on the indices

A few interesting projects are slowly becoming real, I'll soon be back with more :)

Reactions: Duane Stinson

nycrounders

Put Some Respect On My Name
Certified
13/12/15
Amazing build!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

d4m.test

Gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Thanks guys, I was very inspired by the work Mark did on this dial.

jonathanw

I'm Pretty Popular
6/9/15
This is my dream come true !! Congratulations !

fredl187

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
17/5/14
This my friend is an unbelievable great piece of art.
Some of the pics are worth printing and put in a gallery - my deepest respect for both - build and pics.

Stunning!

gsxcbr1

Renowned Member
Certified
8/8/11
Stunning beauty! The dial is superb. I'd love to see that exhibition case back installed too.

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Stunning beauty! The dial is superb. I'd love to see that exhibition case back installed too.

That would be nice indeed, but no matter what I tried I could not make it fit :(

ginopino

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/16
Your build are always gorgeous.
I really would like to have one of your stunning Pam...

Virpag

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
26/3/13
Pretty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

gsxcbr1

Renowned Member
Certified
8/8/11
That would be nice indeed, but no matter what I tried I could not make it fit :(

One idea would be to take a closed case back that fits and have a machinist cut a hole so you could install a crystal. There are guys that can do the "OFFICINE PANERAI BREVETTATO" engraving too. Might be easier than trying to machine new threads on an existing exhibition case back but it would still be a project.

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
One idea would be to take a closed case back that fits and have a machinist cut a hole so you could install a crystal. There are guys that can do the "OFFICINE PANERAI BREVETTATO" engraving too. Might be easier than trying to machine new threads on an existing exhibition case back but it would still be a project.

I have been looking for machining and engraving service locally without luck so far. Unfortunately I haven't met the right person yet.
The only one I know of who could do this stuff is neckyzips, but I don't think he's taking work atm.

I am fully open to suggestion though, I would have a few casebacks to send out :)

Juraj_G

Renowned Member
24/9/16
I have been looking for machining and engraving service locally without luck so far. Unfortunately I haven't met the right person yet.
The only one I know of who could do this stuff is neckyzips, but I don't think he's taking work atm.

I am fully open to suggestion though, I would have a few casebacks to send out :)

What about Adrian (athaya)? He is doing engraved casebacks too.

Sent from the RWI mobile app

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Adrian is in Indonesia, sending a caseback back and forth there would take months... But he makes his own case sets, maybe his caseback fits. Never thought about that :thinking:

Rotador

I'm Pretty Popular
28/9/14
Awesome job, Kilo. Thanks for sharing.

th_drinks.gif