• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

{*PCTeam*} The Definitive PAM087F Rep Versus Gen Comparison

• Thread starter d4m.test
  • Start date
D

d4m.test

The gen PAM087 has been on my purchase list for quite some time, actually ever since I built a PAM243 with a gen 087 dial.

T9UO0.jpg

So I added the gen to my collection. The gen is gorgeous, but honestly the dial is the most gen-like part of the watch. The finish does not speak the the "genuine perfection" that many on this forum hold in such high esteme. The parts all look hand made and hand finished. But this is actually what I love about genuine Panerai from the tritium era.

Anyway, You can imagine how curious I was when the rep was relelased. When I received it I immediately did some comparison shots that have sat in my files waiting for a chance to post. So, here we go... Enjoy!

In General:
At first glance the watches appear very similar. There are really no major differences noticeable on the wrist. Fit, finish, bezel function, CG Lever snap... All on par or even better than gen (you'll see what I mean if you keep reading)

T9QI6.jpg

The CG:
There are some obvious differences on the CG that have been covered thoroughly. Mainly the chamfered inside corners on the gen give way to perfectly square corners on the rep. This is actually interesting because H Factory has nailed this detail perfectly on other watches, but missed it on the 087. But one thing most people don't pay attention to is the polished and rounded edges on the CG lever. A very nice detail that improves the wearers experience interacting with the watch. There are no sharp edges at all. The CG pin is nicely finished and mirror polished on the rep, just like the gen.

But, one thing to note: Notice how poorly the Gen CG fits the case;) Conversly notice how perfectly the H factory CG fits...

Gen
T9nsF.jpg

Rep
T9eVr.jpg

Here's a side by side, the rep is on the bottom. the finish on the rep is not great on the bottom edge

T99Io.jpg

The Bezel:
Function: The bezel functions match the gen in terms of click and feel as you turn but there are some differences in the pips and number size you'll see below.
Pips/numbers: I believe the pip size is the same but the numbers are slightly too small on the rep. Also the gen pips are perfectly mirror polished and totally flat with very sharp edges that almost have the appearance of a microscopic beveled edge. The rep pips are nicely polished but not totally flat and the edge finish is not the same.
Pearl: lume is darker than average, but within reason
Hash marks: Acceptable with matte finish. The gen marks are mostly square, the rep have a rounded appearance.

Pictures below are of the Gen then Rep

T9siI.jpg

T9POL.jpg

T9fxK.jpg

T9iiT.jpg

T9NZe.jpg

T9TIA.jpg

T9hXQ.jpg

T9jxf.jpg

Case Shape/Finish:
Overall Finish: The rep is better than the gen. No joke. Take a look below at the corner lug pictures to see what I mean.
Knurling: Not exactly the same but nicely finished nonetheless and closer than most I have seen.
Bezel Profile: Some will say "too square" but I disagree. Picture studies are one thing, but holding the gen next to the rep is the real test, a test which the rep passes.
Lug shape: nearly identical
Brushing: perfect

T9LZX.jpg

T9XFp.jpg

T94Js.jpg

T9mXh.jpg

T9A2D.jpg

TGuF8.jpg

TGVuU.jpg

TGKJ3.jpg

TGv22.jpg

TGptb.jpg

Crown:
There's been some debate over this, but I can put it to rest. The rep crown is not thinner than the gen. It just has a beveled edge that makes it appear more thin. It is actually more nicely finished than the gen crown.

Gen on the left, Rep on the right
TGQSZ.jpg

TGIud.jpg

Rep on the left, Gen on the right
TGcQR.jpg

Caseback:
The caseback is very nice on the rep is very good. Letter font and size is very accurate. the depth of the engraving is the biggest difference. Also the SWISS MADE on the gen appears to be stamped.

TGe2a.jpg

TGntg.jpg

TGx6y.jpg

TG9SG.jpg

Movement:
Comparison not necesary

Pictures below are of the...nevermind, you know already

TGf36.jpg

TGoQq.jpg

Dial/Hands::
This is where the most improvement can be made. It's about 50% of the way there. Good enough but not great.
Color: perfect color match with the navy blue of the F Series.
Numbers: shape is a really nice match. But the lume plots (the space on which the lume is painted for the 12 and 6) on the gen are a cream/off-white color. The lume plots on the rep are yellow. This is a big miss. A very obvious tell.
Marker Shape: The gen are lovely rhodium plated markers with smooth edges. The rep is too square with then edges.
Textured finish: some say the rep is too textured. Maybe, but its really close. You'll see below. It's almost perfect. I give the rep makers an A Grade for even attempting to reproduce the texture.
Hands: Sorry. Too yellow on the rep. 90% of the gen sub hands I have seen or owned are a light to medium creamy yellow with a lime-green overtone. Quite a bit like modern luminova PAM243 hands. These are just too yellow.

TGN90.jpg

TGTSr.jpg

TGF6F.jpg

TG7CI.jpg

Summary:
Overall a very nice rep, probably First Class High Grade. The differences on the dial appearance with the yellow lume plots and hands with lume that is too dark are too large to ignore

Next steps....
Now, let's say you own the gen and you just so happen to have a spare gen dial, gen luminova hands and a swiss movement. I suppose you could build a franken so damn good with those parts that you maybe, just maybe would sell your gen;)

TGj3o.jpg

TGL9L.jpg

TGtEK.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
The Definitive PAM087F Rep Versus Gen Comparison

Wowsers! Such an amazing review. Thanks buddy.

Maybe it's just me but I can't stand the hands being a few shades lighter than the hour markers on the gen. It too distracting. I hate this about gen tritium rolexes as well.

Gen hands much lighter than hour markers:
e6f400beffddb1988ab38b4b2611e192.jpg

The rep hands seems like they match the hour markers better and therefore seem more pleasing to my eyes.

Congrats on the gen!

D

d4m.test

Wowsers! Such an amazing review. Thanks buddy.

Maybe it's just me but I can't stand the hands being a few shades lighter than the hour markers on the gen. It too distracting. I hate this about gen tritium rolexes as well.

Gen hands much lighter than hour markers:
e6f400beffddb1988ab38b4b2611e192.jpg

The rep hands seems like they match the hour markers better and therefore seem more pleasing to my eyes.

Congrats on the gen!

This is actually the franken:)

I love the contrast of the lighter yellow/green hands with the tritium yellow lume.

chris3007

Mythical Poster
24/8/13
Amazing review! Thanks for sharing.
I'm glad I own one of these 087 reps.

Sent from my iPhone 6

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Impressive review! :clap:

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Thanks Grim
This is one of the best and more useful reviews I have seen
It is really a good opportunity to get the rep and the gen together but you have take advantage of this situation in a very nice way.
We all have to be grateful for that.

Your comparison pics are really awesome and we all can get now the real differences between gen and rep

I agree with your observations. I really cannot disagree because your pics are illustrative and telling. Just to comment that I see the rep dial texture not as accurate as you are saying and your pics show that in my opinion.

As you have said this is the "DEFINITIVE" comparison

Of course, I will include this link in PAM GUIDE.

Thanks again

ALE

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
A few thoughts/questions:

- Which color is the outline of 12 and 6 on the dial? Is it the same yellow as in rep?
- Great detail about the CG lever, I'm going to mod mine ASAP :)
- I think you've been a little strict with your classification. It's true that most gen 087 have lighter colored hands, at the same time the rep colors look plausible to me, just a bit more on the burnt tritium side. Or maybe it's just that I like it so much :)

triker

I'm Pretty Popular
5/3/12
UK
Fantastic review and photos, excellent. Just goes to show how much effort is put into creating a rep.

Good on you and Thank You.

Regards,

triker.

D

d4m.test

Just to comment that I see the rep dial texture not as accurate as you are saying and your pics show that in my opinion.

I think you're correct. I'm too generous with this detail. I'll change almost perfect to "a nice effort." It really is. Most of the time details like this are over looked.

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
I think you're correct. I'm too generous with this detail. I'll change almost perfect to "a nice effort." It really is. Most of the time details like this are over looked.

Thanks for considering this matter.
Moreover, bear in mind you have a rep with a medium textured dial, there are rep PAM 087 much more textured than yours

ALE

pm-guy

Supporter
Certified
10/5/14
As always, detailed and comprehensive review!
Much appreciated....:thumbup:

Abba Zabba Zoo

13/12/12
Thanks for the great review, Grim. Wonderful pics. You are likely the only person in the world right now who is able to make this review first hand...

Always striking how much detail pops up from these macro pics. In real life, looking at a watch on my wrist, my eyes often can't even discern differences like those that you mention. Might have something to do with my eyes, though ;-)

BTW, I bet Kilo has already started rounding off and polishing the edges of his 087 crown guard lever....

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
Thanks Grim: Wonderful review which gives me orientation for further mods.
Q: what mix of lume would you suggest for reluming the reps hands to match your gen hands?

D

d4m.test

A few thoughts/questions:

- Which color is the outline of 12 and 6 on the dial? Is it the same yellow as in rep?
- Great detail about the CG lever, I'm going to mod mine ASAP :)
- I think you've been a little strict with your classification. It's true that most gen 087 have lighter colored hands, at the same time the rep colors look plausible to me, just a bit more on the burnt tritium side. Or maybe it's just that I like it so much :)

The lume plot that creates the outline effect is a light ivory color.
The CG lever mod is really easy. Just take a very fine grit nail file and run it perpendicular to the edges. Then rebrush. This only takes a few minutes, but looks great.
The hands lume: I have actually seen a medium yellow set like that. They had been stored in a parts box for years and looked like this:

Since they have been installed on my 24A Franken, they have lightened in color and are now a light greenish yellow. I am looking at them now;)

you can't avoid the "right" color for gen tritium sub hands. And to me this one small detail takes this great watch to the next level.

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Whoo that 24 is, well, you know already :)

Thanks for the tips, duly noted.
I have a set of jewelers sticks ready to take care of that lever :)

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
BTW, I bet Kilo has already started rounding off and polishing the edges of his 087 crown guard lever....

Thanks Grim: Wonderful review which gives me orientation for further mods.
Q: what mix of lume would you suggest for reluming the reps hands to match your gen hands?

Yes, I forgot it in my post
This review will be a guide for many modds and modders

ALE