• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

{*PCTeam*} H-Fac PAM 087 La Bomba review - Better than gen? [PICS HEAVY]

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Luminor Submersible PAM 087F "La Bomba"
Better than gen?

Ok, I am a little late with this review.
I ordered this rep almost immediately when it was released back before CNY last year, but unluckily when I received the watch it wasn't working :(
CNY was incoming so I decided to send the watch to Domi for fixing it instead of returning it back. Well, it took a while tbh, but on the bright side of things the watch now runs perfectly smooth :)

ALE just posted his own in depth analysis HERE covering this rep in every detail, so I will just try to point out the thing that impressed me the most, keep it as short as possible with the words and... post a lot of pics :)

Model: PAM 087 F series
Maker: H factory
Movement: Asian 7750 clone
Dealer: Intime

CASE

PAM 087 features a Luminor Bettarini mid case modified to house a uni-directional diver's bezel.
Finish is brushed, while hour markers are polished. 15-30-45 markers numbers are painted black, as well as the stick markers going from 0 to 15.
Only earlier PAM models were based on the Bettarini mid case while latter references have been based on the 1950 case, so this rep is especially interesting and unique to me.
TBH I must also admit I am surprised the rep factories decided to invest in repping it.
The first thing I noticed holding the watch in my hands was the vivid and crisp finish of the case. Yes, maybe the brushing is a little too rough, indeed the case edges are too sharp compared to gen, but I just love it.

The overall shape of the case is pretty good, nothing major except the above mentioned sharper machining of the case. The base of the lugs is a little larger than gen.

The transition from the top of the bezel and its side should be smoother and rounder, but again the rep has more defined edges. Pearl looks very nice and bezel dots are nice and accurate as well.

DIAL

This is THE blue dial, surely one of the best blue dials I have ever seen although its texture seems to be a little to rough. The following pic shows an exaggerated effect under strong direct light meant to give you an idea of it, it never looks like this IRL:

The 12 and 6 indices have a beautiful dark banana yellow color, they are outlined in a lighter yellow (I thought it was white looking at online pics but it is indeed yellow).
Lume application is sausage-style, thick and even, a little grainy at great magnifications.
Stick indices are a darker color, almost orange, with a metal rim around the lume. This rim is too sharp and flat compared to gen, yet another flaw most likely due to better machiningof the rep.

The seconds subdial is sunken and decorated with concentric circles like the gen is. Prints are crisp, slightly raised and glossy under the right light.
Of course a gen dial can't be beat, but this is a very very VERY good dial imho.

CRYSTAL AND HANDS

Crystal is pretty clear on this rep, AR is colorless but not very strong. The most annoying thing is the date lens is a bit difficult to read as the date is distorted at many different angles. I must say I noticed the same in gens as well.

Hands are fantastic, the thing I like the most is how they look thick, not like your usual rep hands. They look too tall to me though, not a big deal but worth mentioning.

The cap hiding the center pinion is flat with a little rounding of the edges, it has a less shiny finish than hands which on certain angles makes it look satin finished.

CROWNGUARD

Overall shape is quite good, both CG body and CG lever are very accurate. CG pin is placed correctly, it should just be a little more flush with the CG base.
Crownguard inner corners should be chamfered (not rounded), although there are noticeable variations in gen as well.
Some of the reps I saw have round inner corners, others like mine have sharp inner corners, both incorrect.

Lever is quite good with a nicely shaped tip sitting close to the case.
Lever operation is satisfactory, it shuts tight and firm. 1000 m engraving is pretty good as well.

CASEBACK

Closed caseback is pretty well machined, with a nice and noticeable radial brushing. Engravings are crisp but, as observed by ALE, gen has slightly deeper engravings. Fonts are correct from what I can tell without overlaying gen and rep pics.

STRAP

No pics about the strap because I already sold it, but I must admit it was a very well made strap. Thick and consistent, the nubuck lizard grain had a great feel. One of the few rep straps worth keeping if it suits your style.

CONCLUSIONS

So in the end, is it better than gen?
Of course it's not, but it's funny to see how the biggest flaws of this rep are essentially due to the incredibly sharp and nice finish, noticeably crisper and more defined than in the gen.
On the other hand what we have here is a very fine example of how a rep should be made. A very accurate dial, an almost perfect case and a great attention to the finest details.
Well done H-fac!

Now a few more pics :)

Lume shot:

As usual any input and comment is very welcome, I would be glad to update the review with anything I missed.
Hope you enjoyed the reading and pics!

:cheers:

Droplonder

Known Member
26/7/14
Nothing to add, bud, just a perfect and detailed evaluation of an indeed great rep! Thanks a lot for the phantastic photos!

Dfsc

Horology Curious
14/3/16
after posting my first pics...then I saw these pictures that you posted. WOW.

I need to go for photography classes and get a professional cam!

so beautifully taken pics and very detailed review!

VaLii

You're Saying I Can Sell?
19/11/15
I am not a big fan of subs but the la bomba and the carbotech are playing in the last time with my feelings.... it will be one of them

Great review, awesome pics ... up to details perfect ... this is the behavior of a "bad" Mod[emoji14]
Cheers

Gesendet von meinem SM-T555 mit Tapatalk

shelby1501

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/10/11
Great review mate although I have to ask what I ask in each of yours review. Where you got that strap? :lol: You should include that info in your review as your combos are great. ;)

First time I'm tempted to get one but I still think my choice will be 024 over this one.

flin0310

Known Member
11/11/09
Yes, H factory made very good PAMs but PAM isn't popular right now…?(?ò?ó?)?

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Great review mate although I have to ask what I ask in each of yours review. Where you got that strap? :lol: You should include that info in your review as your combos are great. ;)

First time I'm tempted to get one but I still think my choice will be 024 over this one.

:lol:

It's a gunny canvas

chris3007

Mythical Poster
24/8/13
H-Fac PAM 087 La Bomba review - Better than gen? [PICS HEAVY]

Thanks kilo! Great work, as usual.

I have some pics from my 087, and I hope I can post that pics here at your amazing review.

Here we go.

First of all, the case back is really massive and has 2 gaskets

5e4473d61293e6fe69d8049d47036f61.jpg

Also the crown and the tube, just massive

18d19b3d700f01d20fef461ee4f7fc48.jpg

Crown guard...well finished

db78920078f7722b7639880dc25359c1.jpg

Movement shot. The 7750 looks nice

72c937ff74d3934621b7b21e06b9b296.jpg

And here is the dial, in some different lights

2cfa56455fe0ce4cf375b57121ecb659.jpg

b1aeabf08d86177edfc89128edb8bc80.jpg

4759a2222ce99480e8b90d0f0ce54fa7.jpg

f3a34750e9fcabefd8df252d8a200995.jpg

d4b377c2abb8f64cfbf3c6caf5ce4ab2.jpg

Here is the nice blue DW

68f386b3634f38c25bd4caaac6122992.jpg

And all ports together...

93d06ec5c9ed668080faaa087bfa156e.jpg

Sent from my iPad Air 2

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
[MENTION=70278]chris3007[/MENTION]
Wow Chris, thanks for sharing these uncased pics, I would like to add them to the OP if you're ok with that?

A couple of things I noticed:

- Hands look not as taller as on my watch
- I thought the maker used a faux CP on hands, but I see a huge HW + CP combo installed on the movement, is that how a 7750 usually looks?

chris3007

Mythical Poster
24/8/13
[MENTION=70278]chris3007[/MENTION]
Wow Chris, thanks for sharing these uncased pics, I would like to add them to the OP if you're ok with that?

A couple of things I noticed:

- Hands look not as taller as on my watch
- I thought the maker used a faux CP on hands, but I see a huge HW + CP combo installed on the movement, is that how a 7750 usually looks?

Of course you can add my pics.

The CP is not a faux , but it's not the standard CP for a 7750.

MADRED7

I'm Pretty Popular
5/5/11
Thx for taking the time to post your pic´s ... the watch looks great and I also love wearing mine.

One thing though ... you refer the PAM087 to the name "La bomba" ... but that was the nick name of the PAM064, "tuna can" was another name given.

Dr. Theo

pm-guy

Supporter
Certified
10/5/14
Great review!
Your pictorial puts Panerai official catalogue to shame :)

Zeinharis

I'm Pretty Popular
17/1/16
[MENTION=64001]kilowattore[/MENTION]

Thank you very much for this splendid review mate [emoji106].

Sent from my iPhone 6s using Tapatalk

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Thank you very much guys :)

Thx for taking the time to post your pic´s ... the watch looks great and I also love wearing mine.

One thing though ... you refer the PAM087 to the name "La bomba" ... but that was the nick name of the PAM064, "tuna can" was another name given.

Dr. Theo

Not sure about it, but I've seen both 064 and 087 being referred as either la bomba or tuna can. In any case I like la bomba the most :)

Watch-addict

Renowned Member
23/5/15
U.K
Just read this and now this is another watch to add to my wish list!! Great review and even better pictures thanks for sharing and wear in good health.

patrickseacoast

Renowned Member
12/12/14
Charleston SC
Just read. Amazing review with REALLY amazing photos. I've been on a Rolex-only streak since joining the forum but this might write-up just convinced me to expand my tastes. Beautiful piece. Wear in the best of health. Thanks for expanding my horizons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nebakanezzar

Known Member
16/3/06
Great write up! i love this rep, only thing that bugs me is the AR, thinking about getting a 2xAr treatment for it... has anyone gotten their crystal 2xAR coated?

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Many thanks kilo for this nice review and the magnificent pics

I’m very happy because because this review and mine one are completely complementary. Each one improves the other.
Your pics are outside the rest of the comments because they are in other league. Really awesome. I would like to have a tenth part of your photographer skills
Only with your pics every people can get a perfect idea of the quality of this watch

Nice to see you have an almost perfect crystal, mine is a bit worse than yours.
Your dial and subdial are almost the same as mine

It is very interesting your comments regarding hands and cannon pinion, your hands look flatter and better than other reps. My hands are something in the middle of yours and other worse hands.
Regarding the CP, I think that your observations and review are more precise and reliable than mine. After a close observation of many pics and my CP I think that, as you say, the rep CP has less polished finish and looks satin finished from certain angles. Thanks for this nice catch

I like you final comment: " it's funny to see how the biggest flaws of this rep are essentially due to the incredibly sharp and nice finish, noticeably crisper and more defined than in the gen". This is the point !! That summarizes the quality of this rep.

Of course I will include this link in PAM GUIDE

Keep your good job, please

ALE