• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

{*PCTeam*} KW/V6F PAM 217 review

DR3M3L

TECHMIN
Advisor
27/10/14
Destro time! I used to find destro PAMs a bit odd ones. Now, when my taste of watches improved - I like them.

My unit is „pass over†watch!

The „pass over†rep watch is the one of very few initial watches the maker sends over to dealers to let them take photos / movies before first batch shipment. In this case I got this kind of watch, the very exact watch used by Perfect Clones (where I got the watch from), Trusty Time and Pure Time to take photos etc. Well, I can say - my watch had an extensive QC :D

Something about the gen…

PAM 217 is called „destro†version of PAM 127. Anyway, there are some significant differences.

- PAM 217 is a „destro†so it has crown on the left side (PAM 127 was regular one in this regard)
- both watches are from Limited Edition runs, PAM 217 was 1000 unit series H (year 2005) while PAM 127 was 1950 units series E (year 2002). Side note: additional out of range (OOR) production for these watches were 11 units for PAM 217 and 12 units for PAM 127.
- movement’s plates are of different finish (PAM 127 has „PANERAI PANERAI …†engraved all over the bridges while PAM 217 has never finish and single OFFICINE PANERAI engravings).
- it was mentioned many times on gen reviews that sapphire crystal was improved on PAM 217 in way to minimize distortions over PAM 127 albeit no striking advantage was achieved here.
- dial has different printings: PAM 217 has MARINA MILITARE at top and PANERAI at bottom while PAM 127 has LUMINOR PANERAI at top and 1950 at bottom. A lot of Paneristis consider historic „MARINA MILITARE†something better and closer to Panerai’s DNA disliking „1950†the same time. De gustibus non est disputandum… ;)

Conclusions about gen PAM 217 are:

- it is even more rare than PAM 127
- some people find it even nicer than PAM 127 due to classic „MARINA MILITARE†text on dial

Now let me focus on replication done by KW/V6F

- according to some information I got - production cost of curved sapphire crystal was twice as expensive as a cost of whole caseset
- step by step our demands introduced some details of replication to the mainstream - now we have INCABLOC mod as a standard :)

We can clearly see the manufacturing skills are there - let’s compare details rep vs gen:

SAPPHIRE

The only true way of comparing rep vs gen in this regard is to have them BOTH at the same time AND take a photos in the same position with THE SAME optical gear / camera. Strange, I cannot do that and let’s blame politicians ;) Here we can see some photos of gen showing sapphire distortion - all GEN!:

gen_sap_dist_03_zpsztpc6gei.jpg

gen_sap_dist_02_zpswgjjyjlq.jpg

gen_sap_dist_01_zpskdqzcyzd.jpg

gen_sap_dist_05_zpspdza3w0z.jpg

gen_sap_dist_04_zpslsldbgon.jpg

Now KW rep of PAM 217:

217%20-%201_zpse9tfelr7.jpg

217%20-%202_zpsdzenvam6.jpg

217%20-%203_zpsawbrioeg.jpg

217%20-%204_zps2al0oscn.jpg

217%20-%2013_zpspspfl60s.jpg

As you can observe, depending on angle and optical gears photos were taken with - distortion is visible and variable in its strength. That’s the beauty of this.

HANDS

The gen hands are different to each other not only by length (obviously) but also by width of lume stripe. To me KW repped hands look OK.
CP is polished, as per gen (I look at a lot of photos of gen - it is polished).

217%20-%2011_zpsb7wsdkxx.jpg

217%20-%2012_zpssnhjcpex.jpg

DIAL

Dial seems to be spot on, even printings are greatly replicated with probably the right color.

217%20-%208_zps5uxv4hat.jpg

Gee… reps these days become flawless…

CASE-SET

Well… I cannot see differences between KW case-set version and gen photos. Even brushing, it’s directions etc. - look spot on.

217%20-%205_zps5bz5cigf.jpg

217%20-%206_zpscrjn3lgb.jpg

217%20-%209_zpsej4x6rit.jpg

217%20-%2010_zpsuagzf4pq.jpg

CROWN GUARD (CG) and CROWN:

Crown on gens (the knurling) look a bit softer than on rep but maybe it is a) crown already polished by countless winding of the watch or b) out of focus photos.
REG.T.M. engraving look OK on the rep, maybe slightly suspicious shape of „R†but I am becoming too picky. Location of engravings looks correct as per some of gen photos. In fact, I found some photos of gen, where REG. T.M. was not exactly aligned or one part closer to the edge etc. just take a look at these two gens:

GEN_CG_zpstyuq0bti.jpg

GEN_CG2_zpsr5hertve.jpg

Maybe, just maybe - the tip of CG lever is more rounded in gen but fixing this on rep is just 10 seconds of work, right:

217%20-%207_zpsjdnqtfax.jpg

217%20-%2014_zpsopjqzyy7.jpg

217%20-%2015_zpsobofenxr.jpg

STRAP

Rep strap is trying to resemble black alligator strap of a gen. What is new - it is the same like with KW strap for PAM 622 - after short inspection you don’t want to trash it immediately (maybe after a week or so) so quality is better than usual ;) On photos - some nice eBay strap.

SOFT BOTTOM OF ALL OPEN CASEBACK REPS - MOVEMENT

Well, there are some advantages on this field over reps of yesterday:

- there is INCABLOC mod already installed
- the micro-regulation screw is longer
- the screws on crown wheel, spring wheel and blocking element - are flat and polished as per gen

The rest of „tells†remain untouched:

- yellow-colored gears are not brushed (on gen you can see they are circularly brushed)
- OFFICINE PANERAI is stamp printed instead of engraved and filled with paint
- wrong shape of swan neck (both „neck†and base)
- a bit too wide polished area on teeth of crown and spring wheels (too much toward the center)
- this particular movement has „6497-1†engraved under the balance wheel, which is wrong for two reasons: 6497-1 would be 18,800vph while the rep and gen uses 6497-2 which is 21,600vph obviously. The second reason of being wrong is that I just doubt it was engraved „6497-2†plus ETA logo on a gen….

217%20-%2016_zpsclv8jxaw.jpg

217%20-%2017_zpsmex7adg4.jpg

217%20-%2018_zpsdjknppue.jpg

LUME TORCH!

217%20-%2020_zpswa3aqbum.jpg

CONCLUSIONS

Reps went long way since first attempts. Is it better than Noob version? I don’t know. How it feels on a wrist? GREAT :D

Small gift for you all - during collecting details for this review I got some photos of Specifications and Certificate leaflets. I remade them for fun and give them to you in PDF - so You can print them out on some ivory colored paper ;) …and probably scaling them down.

Specification.pdf

Certificate.pdf

Reactions: MarinaMilitare

fire007

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
1/3/13
@PolonusTM ,

Many thanks for another outstanding Review, you are a gem for our community
smiley.gif

I have a question: What do you think about the clarity of the crystal ? Is the Ar good ? How would it compare to a WSO crystal ? Would you recommend Ar job or leave it as it is.

It is a MUST buy for me now
smiley.gif

cheers

PolonusTM

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
24/5/10
AR is very good as for being single sided.

shelby1501

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/10/11
Thanks for amazing review! One of these two (127/217) will end up in my collection, still not sure which one. :)

tom_cat

I'm Pretty Popular
4/7/13
That looks fantastic. Very nice looking destro indeed and must have for every panerai collectors. I like everything in this KW version but stamped on officine panerai set me back abit and don't know why didn't they do it engraved. Other than that everything looks spot on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EddyG

You're Saying I Can Sell?
4/3/15
Your review is excellent!!! Thx a lot for taking time to share this with us!
What could be interesting is a new KW vs ZF comparison since KW improved their 217 with version 2.
Hope someone can do this.

PolonusTM

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
24/5/10
That looks fantastic. Very nice looking destro indeed and must have for every panerai collectors. I like everything in this KW version but stamped on officine panerai set me back abit and don't know why didn't they do it engraved. Other than that everything looks spot on.

while looking at various gen photos - I couldn't clearly see the OFFICINE PANERAI text is indeed engraved - it is just too subtle to be seen on photos. So I can live with just stamped version ;)

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Awesome review of an awesome rep!

The OFFICINE PANERAI engraving/stamping on the movement is a non-issue for me as well.
This looks as spot on as it may get, the subtle difference that can be seen (or you can't THINK you see...) may very well be manufacturing tolerances.
Dial colour and texture, sharp cutouts, glossy inscriptions, perfect CG body (I don't see it too rounded after all), excellent finish of the case, great crystal... but it's everything already in the review :)
The only detail I see (or I THINK I see :)) is the CG pin edge being a little too softened compared to the gen pics showed, it should also be slightly recessed. It is the same in my noob 127 anyway.
On the other hand that CP is even better finished than some gens (look at the 9Maiali pic...), perectly flat and polished :thumbsup:

Imho this rep can be considered slightly better than previous noob version, mainly due to the Y incabloc and other minor improvements on the movement, all the rest looks at least on par with the "old king". I would really have a hard time discerning one from the other viewing them from the front.

pam1950

You're Saying I Can Sell?
3/1/11
Hi, I may be wrong but this font still looks grey and not off-white, correct?
the gen is definitely on the white side, but on your photos it looks grey...

oh and many thanks for the review, it is fantastic!

Jaybo

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/13
Superb review. Points for you. Looks like I've found my first Destro.

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Yeah but it's too big!!

Oh well, not every donut comes with a hole (I don't know if this makes sense in english :))

Anyway, on a second look maybe it's too big, but for a small fraction of a millimeter, and it could be an optical illusion due to the flat surface against pointy. Looking at the thickness of the minute hand's ring, it looks correct imho :)

patnaboy

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/3/12
Thanks for posting your review! Very informative!

ebzen02

I'm Pretty Popular
12/4/10
Damn it! Damn it! Damn it! Another one to buy:(

Sent from my SM-T807T using Tapatalk

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Nice review Polonus
Now people can made a decision ! This is what I like of a review !

We would need an special section for your reviews. LOL

I would like to see some side view comparisons of the cushion shape. Could you get them??

Thanks in advance
ALE

granvino

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
3/4/11
Thanks for another detailed review. I can see now another factory reaching Noob quality standards and in some points trying to surpass them.

ice_gee

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
16/5/09
Fantastic review,thank you,is it possible to do the same with PAM 127V6F ?
I think it's better than ZF?