• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

{*PCTeam*} River Welded Lugs - finally complete

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Originally posted May 31, 2015

River Welded Lugs - finally complete

Finally, after a long wait and a lot of work, I finalised my welded lugs project. First of all, a huge thank you goes to Elias who sent me a spare crown after I busted the one that came with the case: thanks my friend, you're one of a kind! :thumbup:
Of course nothing here could have been done without you guys from the forum, everything I did comes from the tutorials and informations you shared, thanks :)

For this project, and for the foreseeable future builds, I have not been looking for total accuracy to the gen. I am not an expert by any means, but the thing I reckon from the old Panerai history is that the variations were almost infinite, and this left me some room to build a watch that's credible without being bound to be accurate to a specific model.

I have experimented and learnt a lot with this case, trying to achieve a very aged and worn look without going too far and destroy it (that would have been too easy indeed for me! :lol:).

Here's the list of work done by me:

- Back and front plexis have been very slightly tinted, then aged following Hixxy's tutorial.
- Case has been aged by me, caseback engravings have been filled trying to achieve a worn look.
- Movement ring has been aged with the egg trick.
- Hands have been very lightly brushed and aged with the egg trick as well. Lume has been darkened with tea + coffee. Faux CP has been added.

The dial has been produced by Ross and Bigwaved painted and lumed it. The result as you can see is stunning and sets the watch apart.
Movement is a 3602 cleaned and serviced by Belkin12. I didn't need to touch it, nontheless one of my next steps will be to learn to disassemble and service one of these movements. I only need to buy a few, since I tend to break a lot of stuff! :lol:
Strap is from Gunny, I won it at RWI's birthday raffle (cheers guys :)), no need to comment its quality and it matches the watch nicely imho.

The final result is stil not perfect, the crown needs a little more aging and the stem is still a bit too long. Also, the bezel is not fully screwed in as it tends to tilt the dial... I'll figure how to screw it tight :)

One thing I need to ask is this: I screwed the stem inside the crown very tight yet the crown sometimes "slips" freely and I have to pull it slightly to make it "click" in order to make it work (if this makes sense...). Is there anything I'm missing?

Anyway, I always write too much, here are the pics:

Hope you like the pics and the build, your feedback will be very welcome :)

Last edited:

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
Like a lot what is going on there. In some photos the RP seems filled, and others not. What kind of power reserve are you getting out of that movement? That tall canon pinion is really nice. Whoever made that did well. I also really like your ageing results.

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Thanks all guys, it's been a great ride to put this together and have it work :)

Like a lot what is going on there. In some photos the RP seems filled, and others not. What kind of power reserve are you getting out of that movement? That tall canon pinion is really nice. Whoever made that did well. I also really like your ageing results.

I agree, Bigwaved did an incredible work with this dial, personally I love its texture. It's quite hard to depict it, you can see it in third pic from the bottom.

Slaughterer, thanks for the comment about the CP, I did it myself by cutting and sanding a paper clip! :lol:

Regarding PR, I don't know but I expect a decent reserve tbh. I had three molnijas in my hands recently, this is the only one that's been serviced, and the difference you feel when you wind and when you chance crown position is big. I'll get back to you once tested :)

MADRED7

I'm Pretty Popular
5/5/11
WOW ... this watch breaths vintage. You managed to achive a 100% stunning vintage look ... without closer inspection I would really thing this is the real deal.
Congrats, luv it.

Dr. Theo

danza

Known Member
24/4/12
Wow, that really is rather nice. It just looks spot on from all angles and the ageing really sets it off. I've seen a lot of poor efforts at patinating, but this is really very good.

Well done!

panermaniac

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
25/5/12
China
Very nice!
I'm in the process of building an RP horn lug. I hope it turns out half as well as yours!
Thanks for sharing.

Pratt

24/4/13
U definitely nailed it man ! its looking great ! lets do a trade .. :)

cyberwarhol

Renowned Member
28/7/13
Really amazing! Saw that in the HF but I still like to read about it again here and comment!! Need to build one for me.

Agreed that Bigwaved work is amazing. Yours for the case and plexi is still unbelievable.

Sent from my[emoji336]using Tapatalk [emoji355]

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Thank you guys!
[MENTION=63090]Pratt[/MENTION]
I've seen some very creative stuff from you, and there are a couple of things I want to ask you... :thumbsup:

[MENTION=68487]cyberwarhol[/MENTION]
Thanks again then!
Definitely try yourself on such a build, it's not so difficult, it only takes time, a lot of time :)

Pratt

24/4/13
Thank you guys!
[MENTION=63090]Pratt[/MENTION]
I've seen some very creative stuff from you, and there are a couple of things I want to ask you... [emoji106]

[MENTION=68487]cyberwarhol[/MENTION]
Thanks again then!
Definitely try yourself on such a build, it's not so difficult, it only takes time, a lot of time :)
U want ask me out loud or softly ? [emoji4]

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
I have to moderate that !

What's worse the trading or this love relationship ???

LOL

ALE

Sorry ALE, Pratt is not my kind of guy, my only love (besides my wife) is PAM! ;)

Love it! Regarding the crown, I'd consider leaving it- doing so gives it character, almost like it's a vintage piece that's been repaired making it even more believable. As far as the slipping, I use Loctite 222...

Loctite 38653 222 Purple Low Strength Thread Locker Tube - 6 ml
http://www.amazon.com/Loctite-38653-Purple-Strength-Thread/dp/B0002KKTT0

Thanks for the tip, but I'm not conpletely sure where to put the glue. I still have the first ceown I busted, I'll have to tear it apart in order to understand how it's made. I love breakung stuff :lol:

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Kilo ...just congrats !!!

Watch and pics seem from a Vintage PANERAI catalogue
I'm impressed
AWESOME

Thanks for the post

ALE