• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

PAM 029 Noob factory pictorial review [PICS HEAVY]

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Luminor GMT PAM 029
Pictorial review

A few weeks ago I saw this watch posted m2m over at RWG at a great price and could not let it go. Very wise choice ;)
The strap mounted for the pics is a Dirk Vero Cuoio in 1994 cognac: a very well made, comfortable, great looking and not overpriced strap from a Panerai legend and an incredibly nice and humble guy.

THE GEN

This Panerai model went through three different "revisions". Its distinctive feature is the particular textured dial, used only on this model since its initial release, called "tuxedo dial".
1998 A series featured tritium lumed indices and numbers, all around the dial the seconds were marked in white.
In 1999 B series dial lume was upgraded to luminova, the seconds markers remained.
After B series production was stopped, then in 2010 it was re-released as a special limited 1000 pieces edition: the tuxedo dial was there, but the seconds markers disappeared.
Here's the three versions, A, B, M series from left to right:

THE REP

Model: PAM 029 M
Maker: Noob
Movement: a2836 with GMT module
Dealer: m2m (thanks peedog :))

A and B series reps are offered by DSN, the version reviewed here is instead from Noob and replicates the 2010's M series limited edition.
In ALE's guide it's evaluated as super rep and I can't do anything but agree, there is hardly any visible difference with the gen, which is also a pretty rare watch.
This rep was released in its current version back in 2012, you can find HERE and HERE two beautiful pictorials posted by DEL.

Let's see it a bit more in depth:

CASE

GEN

REP

Case is the standard Luminor 44 mm, mid case is polished as well as the CG, bezel is brushed with black GMT markers.
Not a lot to say about it, it's the well know and pretty much accurate noob case, with a little fat lugs.

Cushion shape is super nice and the overall feeling is quite solid, as usual with a noob product.

The bezel is very well replicated, with deeply engraved black painted numbers.

CRYSTAL

Crystal is sapphire with colorless single AR. As usual with most PAMs (gen and reps), AR is not the best and the crystal catches reflection of the surroundings pretty easily. No readability problems though, and it's really colorless.
The date mag, placed on the inner side of the crystal, shows a bit of a frozen halo effect. It's not disturbing by any means, but it can help telling a rep from a gen nonetheless.

***EDIT***
This watch has double AR, as per gen spec. Thanks Grimlocktime for correcting me :)

DIAL

GEN

REP

The tuxedo dial is the disctintive trait of PAM 029, it has been used by Panerai only for this model, and is indeed something beautiful and very classy.
The vertical lines appear and disappear depending on how the light catches them.

The numbers and indices are applied on the dial in a light greenish color (a bit greener than gen), with a glossy finish and sausage shape.
As usual, the "sausage" looks flatter in gen.

Inscriptions are crisp, well placed and fonts are correct.

This definitely is super-lumed :)
Edit: As noticed by Ruski91, it is worth mentioning the lume overflow on hands, particularly visible in this lume pic.

HANDS

PAM 029 features matte black skeleton hands, as well as most GMT Panerai models. GMT hand has a matte black body, which allows only the arrow point to be visible.
A nice design touch is the metal seconds hand, it catches the light in a beautiful way and really adds something to to entire look of the watch.
Hands shape is perfect, lume application is very good (except the lume overflow before mentioned) and color matches the indices on the dial.

CROWNGUARD

Crownguard is polished, with polished CG pin and brushed lever, recalling the contrast between polished mid-case and brushed bezel.

CG shape is great as usual with Noob reps, inner corners are sharp and fitment is correct. Lever shuts tight with a nice click. CG pin is almost flush, though it should be slightly recessed.
I must admit I never quite liked polished CGs in pics, but now that I have one on hand I can say I was completely wrong as it really looks great!

CASEBACK

GEN

REP

Caseback is closed on this rep, engravings are deep with correct size and placement of inscriptions.

CONCLUSIONS

Well, PAM 029 is known to be possibly the best PAM rep in absolute. As a matter of fact it is really hard to find something to criticize on this rep, almost everything is perfect or close to perfect: case is beautiful and pretty accurate, dial is spot on, CG is almost flawless, as is caseback.
What else can I say? Recently there have been many very interesting new releases (389, 438, 441, 569, 508, 512, 332 are only a few of them...), so all the buyer's attention is dragged by them.
This probably IS the best rep on the market though, and every PAM lover should have one in his collection before it runs out of stock.

And a few more pics :)

As usual any input and comment is very welcome, I would be glad to update the review with anything I missed.
Hope you enjoyed the reading and pics!

:cheers:

Ruski91

Put Some Respect On My Name
12/10/12
Fantastic review and pics as always Kilo. Always look forward to reading your reviews.

The only nit pick that i have for this watch is the lume overflow on the hands. You can see it in your pics as well as in Dels in the pictorial you linked. Luckily, i think this is an easy fix. The extra lume that flows over on the side of the hands can be removed ( i remember reading this just recently from Grim) by a tooth pick, or probably even painted over the way some modders do it. I think it would really make the watch 'that' much better if the hands didnt have lume overflow on them.

None the less, superb watch and review. Thanks for sharing and keep them coming!

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Fantastic review and pics as always Kilo. Always look forward to reading your reviews.

The only nit pick that i have for this watch is the lume overflow on the hands. You can see it in your pics as well as in Dels in the pictorial you linked. Luckily, i think this is an easy fix. The extra lume that flows over on the side of the hands can be removed ( i remember reading this just recently from Grim) by a tooth pick, or probably even painted over the way some modders do it. I think it would really make the watch 'that' much better if the hands didnt have lume overflow on them.

None the less, superb watch and review. Thanks for sharing and keep them coming!

Hehe you're right about the lume overflow mate and I will add this to review. Thanks for noticing it :)

Anyway, about "easily", it is a very subjective word, I just messed the hands of my 360 while removing them in order to flatten the CP :facepalm:
Oh well, at least CP is very nicely flat and polished now :D

Ruski91

12/10/12
your absolutely right - easy for those who know what they are doing. Personally i wouldn't touch any of my watches because i have no clue! lol

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
your absolutely right - easy for those who know what they are doing. Personally i wouldn't touch any of my watches because i have no clue! lol

I'm almost ready to post something for the clueless like you and me ;)

Apart from the harsh learning curve, playing with the watch was fun and relaxing at the same time, I'll keep trying and eventually achieve better results :)

jpohl402

10/7/12
GREAT review my man, of a great watch!
Rep points to you :)

fredl187

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
17/5/14
as always fantastic review, great pictures and a pleasure to read.

I had this watch as a gen, but for some reason I did not wear it too much and so it had to go. bought a few weeks ago a noob version - the same issue. I really love to look at the dial because of the different look depending on the light shining on it, but I don't really like the watch on my wrist. I have the 029B too and wear it a lot more often...I think it's mainly due to the minute markers...

best, fredl

Frikman

Known Member
29/10/14
Superb review, amazing pics and a near flawless rep!
This is what makes me come back to this forum every day.
Well done kilo!

I like this watch, especially the one-off dial, but those hands... man I just can't live with that style of hands on a PAM.
Even though I can see the epic quality of this rep, my brain says yes, but my heart says hell no.

cyprema

Horology Curious
2/2/15
Can someone please weigh Pam 029 Noob with leather strap ?
I can not find anywhere their weight.

D

d4m.test

Awesome review and GREAT pics. I have to mention that the AR is actually dual sided. You can tell because there is no refraction in the crystal. This detail however is correct to gen
(this is a gen... I know it's hard to tell :) )

Also you'd be surprised just how green the gen lume is in person. I was looking at a PAM029 at my boutique and the lume is very similar in color.

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Thanks kilo for this nice and detailed review as always
Your photographic skills are impressive
We are really glad having you in our PCTeam

BTW: Nice rep, one of the best if not the absolute best

ALE

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Thank you Grim and ALE, I will update the review regarding double AR on crystal :)

droberts

Renowned Member
17/12/14
Great pictures and review. The rep factories should love this forum. With all these great pictures and reviews I'm sure they sell a lot more watches. I for one do not purchase one off their website pics alone. Not when there are such better detailed pics here.

josecurve

Known Member
11/4/12
Mine with GEN strap calf golf
1815e34b23f62f62d93446c00665bba3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PeaLow

Known Member
4/5/13
hi i wanted to buy 029 just want to check is this the same as yours ? this is the pictures from my local TD
he said it's the latest noob
so i suppose, this is the best 029 out there ?
thank you.

18804724660_56ace7723e_b.jpg

18806209309_692654fb7f_b.jpg

and 1 more thing do i need to mod it ? or is it good enough to wear straight away unmodded ?

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Looks like a noob, and there's very very little to improve.
I'm enjoying mine as it is :)

PeaLow

Known Member
4/5/13
So i bought this 029 noob ver 2
i just want to check with you, i hope you can help
i have several rep and several gen pam,
about this 029 the lume is not as bright and not as long as my gen 562 and 177
even my kw 292 O is as bright and as long as the gen.
this 029 lume is on par with my 390 noob
is this the case with painted dials?
cause on my rep sandwich dial, 292 O series, the lume is about the same in terms of brightness and longevity as my gen sandwich dial.
is this normal for this noob 029? I thought this supposed to have super lume applied?
or i get conned by my local TD?
please advice, thnk you

kilowattore

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
So i bought this 029 noob ver 2
i just want to check with you, i hope you can help
i have several rep and several gen pam,
about this 029 the lume is not as bright and not as long as my gen 562 and 177
even my kw 292 O is as bright and as long as the gen.
this 029 lume is on par with my 390 noob
is this the case with painted dials?
cause on my rep sandwich dial, 292 O series, the lume is about the same in terms of brightness and longevity as my gen sandwich dial.
is this normal for this noob 029? I thought this supposed to have super lume applied?
or i get conned by my local TD?
please advice, thnk you

From my personal experience lume in sandwich dials is always quite stronger than in sausage dials. Maybe having a plate under the dial allows for more lume mixture to be applied.