• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

PAM 448 Radiomir California: Review and Pictorial

silverclaw

I'm Pretty Popular
24/2/13
UK
The Panerai Radiomir California Limited - PAM000448

I got this watch from John/Timewilltell. He's a champ, and he got me this watch in a grand total of... ONE DAY. I requested it at noon, he sent me pictures by the night. He even handpicked the watch for me, and checked for imperfections before sending. What a guy, eh?

glpBfMy.jpg

History of the California Dial:

The California dial was first pioneered by Rolex, and consists of a triangle marker at 12, stick markers at 3,6 and 9, and here's the interesting bit: The top half of the dial is roman numerals, while the bottom half is arabic.

Don't ask me why they're called "California dials"; I have no idea.

DaaCkwh.jpg

This art deco style broke some simple rules of design: Never use two typefaces in a single design. Some suspect that the dial served to make it so that reading the watch in the dark or in harsh conditions was always accurate, and soldiers could know the time even if in shock.

The Cali dial is a love hate thing, and I happen to love it. I just think it's cool as heck, but some think it looks like a mess. Each to his own, I suppose.

The PAM000448:

Announced at SIHH 2012 in a set of 4, the 448 reflects the historical Radiomir watches first created in the 1940s.

gY5Y1FX.jpg

Size: 47mm
Style: Radiomir
Strap size: 26/22
Movement: Panerai p3000 "Superclone"
Material: Polished Stainless Steel
Caseback: Display
Crystal: Plexiglass

Jvigmfq.jpg

In the SIHH 2012 set:
448 - California dial, Plexi, Limited edition, Blue hands
449 - SLC dial, Plexi, Limited edition, Blue hands
424 - California dial, *date*, sapphire, yearly run, gold hands
425 - SLC Pig dial, sapphire, yearly run, gold hands

The entire collection is rather low in price, although the limited edition does go for a couple thousand more.

Case:

The build of this rep is phenomenal. Nothing creaks, no joints worry me, the plexi is perfect, the wire lugs don't bend, and the steel seems pretty tough.

wLOYiuV.jpg

One thing that utterly surprised me is that the crown tube was not horrendous like most other reps. This one turned and locked in very nicely, and the stem did not wobble at all in the tube. However, the thread is still rough, and will need some lubrication. Check my thread "5 ways to improve a rep" for this. ;)' Also, the crown sticks out quite a lot, just like the gen. Perfect.

rqDWsJB.jpg

Something that worries me, however, is that the caseback arrived partially unscrewed. You may want to check that when yours arrives too. Also, the display caseback is made of mineral glass, instead of sapphire crystal. Most factories actually do this, and I haven't seen a single rep that isn't mineral glass. Just be sure not to smack it with anything.

WykF6OP.jpg

gY5Y1FX.jpg

The crown is very well built, and has some purchase to it. The teeth on the crown are also "softened", ie. the sharp corners are rounded, which lessens the pain on fingers. Sweet.

uxQScT8.jpg

The shape of the case is crafted phenomenally. Not a single imperfection in sight. I can't comment on the accuracy of the piece though, I'm horrible at comparing different cases. Member vader1 has pointed out that the engraving of the OP logo on the crown is not deep enough, and too big. I personally don't care.

The shape of the plexi is very nice, I would say it's spot on to the gen, as it has that same distortion when you tilt the watch and look at it from the edge. It has a quality where there is a flat edge running around the outside just above the bezel, but the edge cannot be seen while on the wrist due to distortions.

Engravings are deep and look pretty good, I would say the gen is deeper though.

mQvcJD8.jpg

The strap is rather... cardboardy. Throw it away and get a real strap on this guy. I would suggest an OEM Assoulamente, or the OEM ranger strap, although, I'm not familiar with third party Radiomir straps. From our trusted strap vendors, I would suggest Eric/donerix from Hamilton leather works.

That said, the strap is wearable, in my opinion. It's not grotesque like the PAM382 strap. It looks nice and burgundy on the wrist. If you have a PAM372 from H-fac, the strap is the same.

4C0qeC8.jpg

Dial and Hands:

The dial is very nice, but not as good as it could be. First, the good parts: The numerals look like they are engraved then filled with lume. This is already a very good sign. The dial is completely centered, and print is crisp.

oDEoAEr.jpg

The first complaint I have is with the graininess of the lume. From the picture, you can see that the 8 looks like marble, while the gen has an even "pringles" like texture. This bugs the heck out of me.

Z5tL9HM.jpg

The second complaint I have are that the numbers in general are not as accurately defined as I would like. 4 and 5 are the worst offenders, and the top hole of 8 looks kind of small. I am referring to a general unevenness to the edges. However, this is minute, and I'm super anal about the dial.

QoBW9F1.jpg

Lume is okay, nothing to boast about. It glows nicely when you bring it indoors after a photoshoot.

HWZtQRP.jpg

The hands are nicely shaped, and are bright blue in the daylight. They look nice. The lume on the hands is much more even than the lume on the dial. The cannon pinion is slightly smaller than gen, and I don't think it can be fixed.

wzTNo8c.jpg

On the wrist:

This wears big. I would say it wears closest to the PAM372 [my review]. The radiomir case itself wears quite small, as the wire lugs don't protrude too far, and the cushion shape rests very nicely on the wrist. However, the dial is very large in comparison to the case, increasing the perceived size of the watch. This all balances out and concludes to a watch that wears smaller than a PAM127, but bigger than a 44mm Luminor. Around the size of the PAM372.

fYweuxD.jpg

This watch is serious business. In the short time I took it out of the box and wore it out, I have spotted many people staring at my watch, and even a few compliments from the chinese community of Shanghai. Pretty badass I would say.

HR62WOx.jpg

Conclusion:

This watch is a phenomenal rep. I don't have the authority to call it a super-rep, but I will say that this watch is a super nice rep. It ticks all the boxes for me: reasonably accurate to gen, very well built, nice reliable movement, **crown tube is not utter garbage!**, and finally, vintage styled so I can be a damn hipster.

This factory hit it out of the park.

bhtt2zz.jpg

Congrats! You've made it to the end of the review! I'm testing out my compact camera (Olympus OM-D if anyone's interested), when normally I use my DSLR. I'd love some feedback on the picture quality and colour. :)

panermaniac

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
25/5/12
China
Thanks for the great review. It's a beautiful watch.

This is what I found about the California name:
"The dial was patented by Rolex in 1941 and used by them on manual and automatic watches for about 7 or 8 years. It was known by Rolex as the 'High visibility" dial, as it used quite large luminous numbers.
In the 1970s, when the vintage watch boom started, a LA based dial refinisher, Kirk Rich, did some dials with this design. They became popular & many vintage watch stores in California sent their dials to KR. So dealers in the rest of the US & the rest of the world began to call them the 'California' dial."

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Beautiful watch OP, thanks for reviewing it for us and for the great pics :)

The case shape looks pretty good to me, as well as the tall bezel and the gorgeous plexi.
Maybe the dial indices could have been sharper, but it looks a lot better than the other Cali dials I saw.

It looked pretty nice in the dealer's pics, but you make it look spectacular!

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Hi silverclaw

Many thanks for this interesting and nice review
The pics look impressive and you have made a good job with your new Olympus
Many people will like this watch from your pics. Really nice

In relation with the review I would like to comment some things:

-How do you know or realize the markers are made fulfilling a cavity. Can you see the cavity? Is there any chance to get a MACRO pic and see it?? That would be very interesting

-Regarding lume "texture" which you say has graininess. I think the gen has also graininess. But, are you saying that rep has less uneven and less marked graininess?

-Movement. Please note this movement is not exactly the same as PAM 372 Clone 1 movement. This movement Clone 2 has much more accurate fonts and position of bridges inscriptions. As you can see in below pic

P3000-Clone1and2comparison_zpsc59de879.jpg

As above said this is a good and useful review and I will add it in PAM GUIDE when I include the new PAM 448, may be next week.

Thanks again and Congrats

ALE

BTW: Rep points added

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Thanks for the great review. It's a beautiful watch.

This is what I found about the California name:
"The dial was patented by Rolex in 1941 and used by them on manual and automatic watches for about 7 or 8 years. It was known by Rolex as the 'High visibility" dial, as it used quite large luminous numbers.
In the 1970s, when the vintage watch boom started, a LA based dial refinisher, Kirk Rich, did some dials with this design. They became popular & many vintage watch stores in California sent their dials to KR. So dealers in the rest of the US & the rest of the world began to call them the 'California' dial."

Thanks panermaniac
I will include this explanation in PAM GUIDE when the PAM 448 is included

ALE

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
Who is the maker? Z factory?

This was most likely made by the same maker who released the PAM372 with the Superclone P3000. It is not attributed to either H-Fac, Noob, Z-Fac nor Kuvarsit.

silverclaw

I'm Pretty Popular
24/2/13
UK
Hi silverclaw

Many thanks for this interesting and nice review
The pics look impressive and you have made a good job with your new Olympus
Many people will like this watch from your pics. Really nice

In relation with the review I would like to comment some things:

-How do you know or realize the markers are made fulfilling a cavity. Can you see the cavity? Is there any chance to get a MACRO pic and see it?? That would be very interesting

-Regarding lume "texture" which you say has graininess. I think the gen has also graininess. But, are you saying that rep has less uneven and less marked graininess?

-Movement. Please note this movement is not exactly the same as PAM 372 Clone 1 movement. This movement Clone 2 has much more accurate fonts and position of bridges inscriptions. As you can see in below pic

As above said this is a good and useful review and I will add it in PAM GUIDE when I include the new PAM 448, may be next week.

Thanks again and Congrats

ALE

BTW: Rep points added

Thanks for the rep, Ale.

How do you know or realize the markers are made fulfilling a cavity.

If you look at the picture of marker 8, right at the top, you can see a slight dip in the lume compared to the dial. This means the lume is filled from the bottom. I'm not sure what the construction of the dial is though, but the lume must be filled.
Also, a deduction can be made because 1. the lume is quite strong -> indicating that there is quite a lot of lume, 2. the lume is the same level of the dial (not raised). 1+2 tells us that the lume must sit in a cavity.

gY5Y1FX.jpg

Regarding lume "texture" which you say has graininess. I think the gen has also graininess. But, are you saying that rep has less uneven and less marked graininess?

The lume quality on the rep is not as good as the gen. It is MORE grainy and looks kind of like rough marble. The gen looks like even mashed potato.

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Thanks silverclaw for the explanations and the pics

I have enlarged your pics and I think that the markers are really made fulfilling a little cavity which the contours can be seen in above pics of 5 / 6 and 8 markers. We can also see the grainy of the lume material a bit more uneven and marked than gen.

PAM448-5-6MARKERS_zpsaca29c1b.jpg

PAM448-8MARKER_zpsd131b28e.jpg

Seeing these pics you could try to get a macro of the markers with appropriate lighting to better confirm above said

Thanks
ALE

silverclaw

I'm Pretty Popular
24/2/13
UK
Here are some better pics Ale:

kJzTETe.jpg

the way that the center dots on the 8 are, it's easy to tell that the lume is filled in a cavity.

8Pt2Vs8.jpg

The inner corner of the 7 shows the same sort of reflection.

og1zVBa.jpg

This has a quite obvious dip in the marker - easy to see that the lume is filled.

markiemark

Bracelet King
Patron
18/4/13
EU
Beautiful pics and a nice write up!
I think the 448 is ugly as hell, but I love it!

I hope it fits my 6.5" wrist :p

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Here are some better pics Ale:
the way that the center dots on the 8 are, it's easy to tell that the lume is filled in a cavity.
The inner corner of the 7 shows the same sort of reflection.
This has a quite obvious dip in the marker - easy to see that the lume is filled.

Thanks silverclaw for these magnificent pics which clarify the lume structure of this nice replica

We are grateful for your kind cooperation
I will include even some pics in PAM GUIDE to illustrate the lume application

ALE