• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Side by side OEM ETA vs. REP parts on the 6497 movement for Panerai watches

DR3M3L

TECHMIN
Advisor
27/10/14
I have compiled this set of side by side pictures to try to explain to the membership all the differences there are between the two and hopefully finally make clear some confusion, and show the membership how easy it is to mislead buyers on parts that cannot be seen. This may take some time and many edits and picture uploads, so be patient please.

Now lest get some things clear, first on ETA, I could rant on about how ETA is the largest Swiss movement maker in the world and blah blah blah, but it is easier if you read for yourself here ( http://www.eta.ch/ and [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ETA_SA"]ETA SA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame] ). Now that you have read a little about ETA (I hope) we can proceed. Here are some other links on the specific movement we are talking about in this thread which is the 6497 ( http://www.monochrome.nl/unitas-6497-panerai-cimier/ and http://www.watches-w...?title=ETA_6497 ) Now you should understand that in this case Panerai does not make this movement and the fact that the 6497 has been around for over 60 years. Let me make it very clear ETA MAKES THE GUTS OF THIS MOVEMENT AND PANERAI MAKES ALL THE PRETTY STUFF THAT ADORNS IT OR DRESSES IT UP, PANERAI DOES NOT MAKE THE PARTS THAT GO INTO THIS MOVEMENT sorry about the caps but it seems many just don’t get it. Panerai OEM is ETA OEM because only ETA is licensed to produce those parts, it is all proprietary To ETA.

http://www.eta.ch/swisslab/6497/6497assem.swf[

The 6497 has several variants and two beat rates

6497-1 = 18000vph (low beat) sec. @ 9:00

6497-2 = 21600vph (high beat) sec. @ 9:00 (Gen. Panerai use this movement in their watches, practically impossible to get and very expensive when found)

6498-1 = 18000vph sec. @ 6:00

6498-2 = 21600vph sec. @ 6:00

Most of the parts you will see here will never be seen on the watch itself because they are buried deep within the watches guts.

So let’s start with the main plate, this can be considered the chassis of the watch just like on a car. Here you can see three one is REP the middle is stock ETA and right is modded to look gen. but is still a stock ETA. Most important thing to look for when a watch is advertised as Swiss is the stamp markings under the balance wheel. Only true Swiss movements have this and it is stamped not etched, the REP has no markings at all. On the 6497 there are some numbers on it but the most important thig to look for is the ETA crest stamp.

I have not finished my write up, but I want to make one thing very clear. Though the parts may look very much alike, the difference is enormous in the quality of the parts. The ETA parts are a great deal superior to the Chinese counterparts. The ETA parts are made of superior metals and seem to be stronger and heftier. One obvious example is the bridge screws I have sheared off several Chinese screws with out putting any torque on them as opposed to the ETA, they are hardened and I have yet to shear one off. So please don't be fooled as too how similar they are, the main difference is in the quality and longevity of the ETA parts.

Back:
ETA20.jpg

ETA21.jpg

ET-pattern.jpg

Front:
ETA19.jpg

Now let’s look at the components that go on the front of the base plate and under the dial. This consists of the list of parts pictured below, most of these parts are never seen.

Slide pinion: Virtually identical
ETA13.jpg

Winding pinion: Also identical
ETA12.jpg

Setting lever: Only difference is finish
ETA11.jpg

Yoke: Identical
ETA2.jpg

Yoke spring: Identical, the ETA might be a little shiner
ETA5.jpg

Setting wheel and Intermediate setting wheel: Only differences is finish, ETA is smoother and shinier
ETA9.jpg

Minute wheel: Only difference is finish
ETA14.jpg

Set lever jumper: Identical, I added a modded one to show how Panerai brushes theirs, beyond that they are the same
ETA4.jpg

Set lever jumper retaining screw: Color is different and Rep is slightly domed on the top and ETA is flat
ETA15.jpg

Cannon pinion: ETA has a smother finish and brighter shine
ETA8.jpg

Hour wheel: Rep is shinier, however Panerai uses a brass wheel see second picture
ETA7.jpg

part1128.jpg

More to come, need to take more pictures to post below

Now lets flip the movement and see what parts are in the back side. These parts are more important because here is where all the main mechanical parts of the watch reside. And in the case of some Panerai watches these parts are completely visible to anyone who looks at the back of the watch, and where the largest amount of "tells" are.

Escape wheel
Third wheel: The third wheel on the ETA 6497-2 is brushed but not on the 6497-1, on the REP. they are too shiny, I mod them to look more gen. Lighting is different on the picture but they are all a light gold tone
ETA16.jpg

Second wheel (they come with long lower pivot for second hand or short pivot for no second hand configurations): The third wheel on the ETA 6497-2 is brushed but not on the 6497-1, on the REP.. they are too shiny, I mod them to look more gen. Lighting is different on the picture but they are all a light gold tone
ETA17.jpg

Center wheel:The center wheel on the ETA 6497-2 is brushed but not on the 6497-1, on the REP. they are too shiny, I mod them to look more gen. Lighting is different on the picture but they are all a light gold tone
ETA18.jpg

Bridge screws(bolts):The ETA is a thicker screw and has a small grip, while the REP has no grip at all. The color is different as well
ETA1-1.jpg

Barrel:
ETA3-1.jpg

Setting lever screw
Crown wheel ring
Crown wheel
Crown wheel screw
Click spring
Click
Click screw
Ratchet Wheel
Ratchet wheel screw

Pallet fork:
ETA6.jpg

Pallet bridge:
ETA10.jpg

Pallet bridge screws:

Balance:
ETA22.jpg

Panerai movement which is the ETA 6497-2 use the Glucydur balance that is made and licensed by ETA, the 6497-1 however does not.
Glucydur and the balance wheel

One of the trademark features of ETA movements is their Glucydur balance wheels, which look like this:

img00004.gif

Incabloc shock system:
Not made by ETA but by Incabloc S.A. and used on ETA movements
ETA23.jpg

I hope this helps members understand the differences between the REP parts and the OEM ETA parts. Most of the parts are identical and function the same. I use the ETA parts on my builds because in some cases the ETA parts are built heftier and are obviously made with quality materials.

Thanks for looking........

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
Thank you!

Very nice thread, great job!!!!

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Nice job mate! Well written.

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09
Very nice thread, thanks for sharing!!

For the record, I've been told a while ago that there have been some 6497 asian clones with ETA stamping. It was a while ago so I don't remember who it was but it was a senior member.

Klocklind123

Known Member
17/2/09
Very nice thread, thanks for sharing!!

For the record, I've been told a while ago that there have been some 6497 asian clones with ETA stamping. It was a while ago so I don't remember who it was but it was a senior member.

Yes Wiz, that is true that some ASIAN eta stamped 6497-1 movements has been pruduced.

I think some of the later produced Fiddys had eta stamped on the mainplate but had the smaller 21600 balance and poor finished bridges!

And was 100% asian!

marlin2284

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
1/2/12
DSN had his ultimate 127 Fiddy and it had an ETA stamped main plate which was Swiss ETA with Asian bridges. And believe it or not, even the gear train was ETA. I've never heard or seen an Asian based watch with ETA stamp on it. If anyone has one or has pictures, I'd love to see that....

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09
DSN had his ultimate 127 Fiddy and it had an ETA stamped main plate which was Swiss ETA with Asian bridges. And believe it or not, even the gear train was ETA. I've never heard or seen an Asian based watch with ETA stamp on it. If anyone has one or has pictures, I'd love to see that....

The movements I'm taking about were 100% asian afaik. I believe you'll need to see members that have been here for longer than me to find pics.

the_don_robinson

20/4/12
Why is it so hard for the factories to rep the Y feature of the incablock? Seems like its just a notch... Or am I missing the complexity here?!

Ps! Awesome thread really enjoyed reading this! Thanks for taking the time.

believer123

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/10
Superb, the likeness of the parts is uncanny. Why would anyone even consider going GEN with the Panerai? Personally, I'd go REP with the Panerai and use the remainder of the money for another type of GEN.

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Hi marlin
This is a very good thread
Very interesting
Nice to consult it
Congrats!!

ALE

KGB-Leader

Known Member
1/7/12
Very good information! Can you please tell me, how did You applied perlage on the main plate? What tools were used?

By the way, have You got my PM? :)

Best regards,
Denis

Veratio

13/3/07
Amazingly detailed. I do not know much about movements, but this was awesome. The do look the same, but it´s good to know that you at least get a bit more what you pay for when you get the ETA.

Thanks!

N