• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Porsche Design P'6780 v2 review

unregistered

13/1/08
So here is the watch in its full glory from some quick snaps this morning. Was really excited about this piece as I loved the gen and found the concept really well executed. Unfortunately, it just has no love on the wrist. BTW, this is the v2

IMG_3293.jpg

IMG_3297.jpg

IMG_3299.jpg

IMG_3300.jpg

IMG_3302.jpg

IMG_3303.jpg

IMG_3304.jpg

IMG_3305.jpg

IMG_3306.jpg

IMG_3307.jpg

IMG_3308.jpg

IMG_3309.jpg

IMG_3311.jpg

IMG_3312.jpg

IMG_3313.jpg

IMG_3314.jpg

Wristies on my 6.8" wrists.

Pros:
- Fairly accurate to gen
- 3 piece cage well made with titanium for the cage, SS for the main housing and lug ends
- Dial has fantastic 3D depth and presence
- Bezel turns accurately as per gen
- Lift mechanism works well, stops at what ever angle you hold the watch head at, doesn't flop around
- Pushers have a nice "tccchk" pop when used
- Lovely looking deployant and correctly replicated
- Good weight, not too light, not too heavy and also not very top heavy

Cons
- Dial print needs to be brighter. Its too muted now
- No lume on the dial. Only on hands. Gen has lume all over the bezel, the dial markers and numbers
- Dial markers are meant to be metal squares with lume within them
- P' engraving on crown is inaccurate though well done. Should be PD
- Datewheel font is incorrect
- Caseback is incorrectly engraved with 120M when should be 100 ATM
- lug ends do not depress as far as gen. Gen has range of movement of about 35deg, rep only up to 15deg
- Strap, same as gen unfortunately, for thinner wristed folks, because of the overhang, the straps will open up, they arn't glued to the side of the lugs, but because the gen depresses further, its less obvious, on the rep, the straps will open up and show their connecters and sides.
- Strong blue AR, however I've seen gen pics which depict the same, so I can't call this one. I don't think the gen is as strong as the rep, but it definitely has a blue sheen.

Overall, the thing that kills it for me is the overhang and strap. Everything else is damn near perfect. :frusty:

It photographs so damn well too!

PecMan

Put Some Respect On My Name
4/5/09
i just love that friking watch! one of the best looking watches ,ill buy it someday! about the ar, ur pictures dont show any ! blue tint ! the watch looks amazing!

ddc

Renowned Member
20/6/11
Mmmmmm.... Is it just me or the case is showing some weird non-uniform edges.... Is it the light ?

unregistered

13/1/08
SJ: Its the case of it photographing great, but just not feeling it on the wrist

ddc: You are correct, one of the bottom ridges of the outer case is not completely uniform.

1kenny1kenny1

Renowned Member
4/6/10
i just love that friking watch! one of the best looking watches ,ill buy it someday! about the ar, ur pictures dont show any ! blue tint ! the watch looks amazing!

ME TOO PECMAN !!! I am buying it next month for SURE !! I love that watch ! and I will mod the shit out of it !! :D I will tell you, he rep watch has got green lume, what should be BG-W9 like on the DSSD or Ploprof.

REP LUME:

DSC06810.jpg

GEN LUME:

redime32.jpg

So we need to relume it. Square indexes that are printed on dial are **** hard to relume nicely. So we will add some square indexes to the dial ! But where to find nice square indexes ? Yes from another rep dial ! :)

Here is picture of the gen:

redime19.jpg

And we will take square indexes from Rolex Yachmaster II

rolex-yacht-master-white-dial-ss-.jpg

Here is deep photo, to see how are they thick.

ro2580-rolex-yacht-master-ii-blue-ceramic-yg-asian-21j-automatic.jpg

And just relume them:)

For the triangle at 12o'clock the closest I have found are these

of9ilg.jpg

SO we have ready modding material, now just need to buy that watch
lol.gif

ddc

Renowned Member
20/6/11
I am liking this more and more, the uneven edges bug me though...

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
I absolutely love this watch, but cannot stand the sloppy construction - I mean, how hard is it to make a straight line on a CNC machine?

unregistered

13/1/08
Do note guys, you are looking at blown up pics of the underside of a watch. Say what you will, but its not something you will very well notice on the wrist regarding the uneven edges. But I too also understand about pet peeves :D

PecMan

4/5/09
wow

ME TOO PECMAN !!! I am buying it next month for SURE !! I love that watch ! and I will mod the shit out of it !! :D I will tell you, he rep watch has got green lume, what should be BG-W9 like on the DSSD or Ploprof.

REP LUME:

DSC06810.jpg

GEN LUME:

redime32.jpg

So we need to relume it. Square indexes that are printed on dial are **** hard to relume nicely. So we will add some square indexes to the dial ! But where to find nice square indexes ? Yes from another rep dial ! :)

Here is picture of the gen:

redime19.jpg

And we will take square indexes from Rolex Yachmaster II

rolex-yacht-master-white-dial-ss-.jpg

Here is deep photo, to see how are they thick.

ro2580-rolex-yacht-master-ii-blue-ceramic-yg-asian-21j-automatic.jpg

And just relume them:)

For the triangle at 12o'clock the closest I have found are these

of9ilg.jpg

SO we have ready modding material, now just need to buy that watch
lol.gif
my friend u have very nice ideas!! the square on the gen look very nice! and ur idea to take them from the rolex dial is perfect, i mean u would have to buy just the dial, i wish i had the knowledge for modification of watches , looking forgard to c the result !:) A ked uvidim vysledky, potom to mozno od teba kupim:)

1kenny1kenny1

Renowned Member
4/6/10
my friend u have very nice ideas!! the square on the gen look very nice! and ur idea to take them from the rolex dial is perfect, i mean u would have to buy just the dial, i wish i had the knowledge for modification of watches , looking forgard to c the result !:) A ked uvidim vysledky, potom to mozno od teba kupim:)

Thank you PecMan :D Yes I want to buy just the dial :) it is nothing hard in modification of watches :D

HAHA !! It is so nice to read slovak lines ! Snad sa Ti vysledky budu pacit :D

PecMan

4/5/09
wait till my girl is here so i can understand those last lines lol

couse now for i can understand , my translation would be : no way i can do it for u , stick with the unmod 1 mother foker ! .
but it think there must be something wrong with my translation :lol1:

Pix

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
I remember there was some issue with the spelling on the strap, on a video. Was this solved ?

Spboudart

26/9/08
I remember there was some issue with the spelling on the strap, on a video. Was this solved ?

@Pix, my friend I would not worry much about that if I were you.
You know I love odd watch and always loved the Eterna Kontiki divers, so when this one came out I was all over it and when F (unregisterd) put it for sale I jump on the deal.
It arrived almost 2 weeks ago and been sitting in the box since, a Breit SA is a baby compare to it and the 60mm Egi I gave to Lfh was more comfortable to wear. You need a 10 to 12 inch wrist to wear that.... or wear it on to of a wet suit...
The watch itself is not that big, but the distance between the rubber part of the strap is over 70mm, the rubber is not that flexible and the metal parts holding them are almost fixed.
It will stay in the box with the other weird stuff from the watch industry (Omega X-33, Tag Sixty-nine, FM Crazy Hours, VC American1921...) where it belong...

Pix

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
Thx for the feedback ;)

Anyway, this V2 caseback obviously show a re-printing of the O into a D : looks bad.

They should definitely change the whole caseback, and take the opportunity to correct the depth indication.

But as you said, I'll have to forget about this one.