• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

2531.80 Franken Project...can it be done?

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
It appears my MK case and bracelet will be here this week! Does anyone know who makes the best aftermarket bracelet? I want a period correct pin and tube bracelet.

I noticed the MK bracelet is solid pins only. I have gen end links, gen clasp, and gen springbars.

I am not sure if WSO bracelet is pin/tubes. There are several on eBay that claim to be "high quality" but I just don't know...

Really, I just want the best aftermarket one out there...it may end up the MK is just fine...anyone?

Last edited:

jcagara08

I'm Pretty Popular
9/1/11
It appears my MK case and bracelet will be here this week! Does anyone know who makes the best aftermarket bracelet? I want a period correct pin and tube bracelet.

I noticed the MK bracelet is solid pins only. I have gen end links, gen clasp, and gen springbars.

I am not sure if WHO bracelet is pin/tubes. There are several on eBay that claim to be "high quality" but I just don't know...

Really, I just want the best aftermarket one out there...it may end up the MK is just fine...anyone?
The only way to achieve this is to go all gen, afaik there are no aftermarket bracelet that is worth it, the ceramic smp bracelet are by far the best and would be the great option to build a hybrid, gen clasp+mkf bracelet.

My 2 cents

Sent from my Mi 9T Pro using Tapatalk

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
The only way to achieve this is to go all gen, afaik there are no aftermarket bracelet that is worth it, the ceramic smp bracelet are by far the best and would be the great option to build a hybrid, gen clasp+mkf bracelet.

I wrote to WSO on eBay, and they responded their bracelet are (split) pin type. The MK is actually solid pins...much closer to gen.

I think I will stick with MK for now. Thanks for the insight!!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: jcagara08

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
So what happens to the Aliexpress SMP? Selling it?

Yes, all my spare left over parts not this project are going up on M2M when this project is done. Aliexpress SMP and an extra gen dial. Anyone interested, PM me and I will do a reserve sale (no backdoor sales...so don't even ask).

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
Parts are arriving! I am going to shim the dial to get the correct stem height...ordered .1, .2, .3 mm shims. This weekend I will spot and drill holes for the dial feet and cutout the date window.

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
thought I would show what's in the hopper on the side...

there's a Milk 1675
a gen Omega Seamaster (vintage)
5513 (just installed athaya crown, drilled lugs, new plexi, relumed athaya pip)
and a vintage Seiko chrono (7xxx series...I forget which exactly 7016?...I have done several 6139's)...I need a dial and can't find one.

ZrUoaX.jpg

Last edited:

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
Goodies arrived today! Posts coming...my SMPc kit arrived with the 'new' style bracelet (screws)...so I will swap it out for the old style on my other blue SMPc.
ZrXihY.jpg

Last edited:

jcagara08

I'm Pretty Popular
9/1/11
Goodies arrived today! Posts coming...my SMPc kit arrived with the 'new' style bracelet (screws)...so I will swap it out for the old style on my other blue SMPc.
ZrXihY.jpg
Wait what you actually have two ceramic smps? Selling the Aliexpress smp and the extra ceramic ones?

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
Wait what you actually have two ceramic smps? Selling the Aliexpress smp and the extra ceramic ones?

I own more than a couple...and yes, I will be selling off most of the extra "stuff" once the build is done...including the Aliexpress rep...I am still amazed how nice that cheapo is for $80-90.

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
Took at look at tackling the bracelet last night. I think I am just going to purchase a WSO 1503...see below, open to other suggestions as well.

Here are all my bracelet parts. Starting from the left....my blue SMPc pin bracelet, then GEN parts, then 2 WSO clasp links I found from a previous build, then Aliexpress, then the new black SMPc that just arrived.

the newly arrived SMPc bracelet is scews...very nicely done as well.

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
First up, install the blue SMPc onto the gen clasp....but ran into a problem. The tang on the clasp is a different size and the clasp end links are different between the 2...same order as above...the next picture on the right are the clasp links for the short clasp, the links on the right are what you need for the 1503.

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
but...my WSO links don't fit into the SMPc bracelet links. I took a file to one, and it took forever, but I got it to slide together. I need to check the Aliexpress bracelet...those are the right links as well. Also, the gen end links fit real nice into the case, but do not mate up correctly to any of the bracelets (I haven't tried the new SMPc yet). All this may drive me to just get the WSO 1503 which will work with gen clasp.

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
Another snag today. The bosshua007 kit in black is definitely not compatible to franken. The gen bezel does not fit, it's .030" undersize. The crown tube is an external thread tube and it looks like the case hole for the tube is rather large. Arrrrrrggggg. Looking on raffledials, the same kit is available and it is advertised as "MP" factory.

I went back and looked at my blue SMPc and it has an internal thread crown tube, although it looks like it is screwed into the case, not pressed. I am going to pull the bezel off today to see if the gen bezel can go on. If it does, then I will use it.

If not, then I need to shell out some bucks and get me an MKF SMPc.

I am going to finish up the movement today and get the dial and hands mounted. Once that is done, putting my other dial up for sale M2M.

Reactions: pippo

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
Had some good news today! The gen bezel fits the blue SMPc kit! I destroyed the rep bezel trying to get it off...which worries me as I work on the spring for the gen.

The crown tube was threaded in, not pushed, so I need a different tube.

ZtzZFP.jpg
ZtzzAW.jpg

Last edited:

Specter1000

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/15
Cincy area
You definitely need this gen Omega part when on the modified movement. Again, success! Omega part on the left, ETA on the right.

Reactions: jcagara08

jcagara08

I'm Pretty Popular
9/1/11
Awesome progress here bro what a hardcore modding job this watch is, yes definitely the tubes has differences it can be just pressed in or threaded (the newer reps), what about the crystal HE valve? Modding it too?

Reactions: Specter1000

Wacht

Renowned Member
6/7/20
Thanks for sharing your work.
I really enjoy following this process and hope you end up with an exceptional timepiece.

Reactions: Specter1000