• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

REVIEW: My SuperFranken VS Gen 2531.80

FiloViridae

Advisor
Advisor
27/3/15
NYC
0a3a949557ba5ebe8e1df20e04e940dc.jpg

Well, I got a gen 2531.80 in from @exelonmon a couple days ago. Super thrilled about it. I have been wanting one for quite some time, just did not pull the trigger. In the meantime, I built a Superfranken. It was a blast. It continues its legacy on with [MENTION=70346]xj4sonx[/MENTION] .

First off, my overall impression upon receiving the watch was pure excitement. It was overnighted, however it did not say it hand left the local facility in exelonmons state. I was super bummed when I woke up. So, I went back to bed. The next thing I know, someones at the door bright and early (didn't even know the mail delivered that early...). I ran downstairs shirtless, and took delivery of the package.

My first impressions were wow, this happened. Then , I thought of my superfranken, and said "wow, i built a great watch." I will highlight some difference in side by side photos (can't do any more comparisons, I had the watch packed up and ready to be mailed by the time the gen arrived. To the eye (minus the He valve) they were spot on. The gen crown/tube made a HUGE difference. The specs of the super franken can be found under Paps franken seamaster thread: Or, found here (insert link).

To build a proper franken SMP, the gen crystal sets it off.. Puts it in a different playing field. Seriously. It makes the watch.

Just take a look: (gen on left in all pics)

bb0f2089ad48c6091f2fdac7aa8d620d.jpg

Okay, at this point in my morning, I had sized the gen bracelet and had it on. I don't have words to describe that feeling.. It's just pure awesomeness. It feels SUPER smooth. My rep bracelet I modded a bit, by giving it a bath, and sanded the edges from be so sharp. However, the end links bothered me to know end on my superfranken. The end links on the gen are amazing. However, again, something I can deal with on my superfranken.

Next difference on the wrist is how slim the gen is. The rep was a bit thicker (don't have the measurements). But on the wrist, its slightly noticeable. Especially wearing a shirt with tighter cuffs.

5a08516040ebb8519d9ae3528b054adb.jpg

From the picture above, you can see the difference. However, its not that noticeable on the wrist, unless like I said, with cuffs.

The next difference I found, was the bracelet clasp. I'd hope the gen would shine here. And it does not disappoint. Its operation is quite smooth, and feels very solid. My rep clasp felt pretty good, however the writing was off a bit. Again, something easily lived with.

Rep on left here!
3890e469f3e80ac4205da4848c9c12cf.jpg

And here's the case back:

16fdf27a2c9da9a5cf8918db46916f58.jpg

Now those are the biggest differences. In the end, I find that the super franken was great. Besides the He valve, its amazing. I probably would not have gone gen with this model if it was not for that. I decided though, I do not think I will go gen on another watch I can so easily franken (PO, etc..). Maybe not frankening these watches would make the gen more special? I'm not sure. However at the end of the day, I am extremely happy with my Gen purchase. It's an important milestone in my life, and I figured it is something I can have forever. (I hope).

Here is some more pics of the super franken:

370c908a2f6a269b6c180864eca68e3f.jpg
074950c969f12b136dd6737f3b66a982.jpg
754c7669ee5e9f3981f8a2f3d35c5b84.jpg
e2c5bc2483062ee32f1101eca4053851.jpg

Here is some more pics of the gen:

221d8d22250d71ad80028844f658bf66.jpg
97c0f21ea824f34b3233ca538ce7427e.jpg
b1a5467199cbacd685b3cc7be805bc6d.jpg
ba0e4c4ecf66832f51ec6d312d082e67.jpg

Unboxing:

https://vimeo.com/178387970

T3RM1N4T0R

The Terminator Mod
Advisor
25/8/13
Are they really? Maybe [MENTION=4540]excel[/MENTION]onmon has some leads. He does sale what 300 smp's a year. :)

Sent from the RWI mobile app

Thrasher

Legendary Member
15/4/14
The Beach
Mine says Hi.

1997 purchased new by me, serviced once, Maybe loses 7 seconds a day, I know it needs a service and it would be so easy to take it to Los Angeles.

IMG_7436.jpg

FiloViridae

Advisor
Advisor
27/3/15
NYC
Mine says Hi.

1997 purchased new by me, serviced once, Maybe loses 7 seconds a day, I know it needs a service and it would be so easy to take it Los Angeles.

IMG_7436.jpg

My original red box looks the same as yours. :(

Aloha!

That's awesome. I hope to have mine, as long as that.. But yours looks nice great shape for almost 20 years old!

My red box is beat up, but I'd expect it to be after 15 years

FiloViridae

Advisor
Advisor
27/3/15
NYC
Mine says Hi.

1997 purchased new by me, serviced once, Maybe loses 7 seconds a day, I know it needs a service and it would be so easy to take it Los Angeles.

IMG_7436.jpg

My original red box looks the same as yours. :(

Aloha!

That's awesome. I hope to have mine, as long as that.. But yours looks nice great shape for almost 20 years old!

My red box is beat up, but I'd expect it to be after 15 years

D

d4m.test

Great comparison and great franken. Saw it with xj4sonx and almost couldn´t believe it was a franken, it just looks so good.
Purchased new in 2002, took it to the Atlantic, Indian and Pacific Oceans ... and my box looks as Yours do.
DSC_5855c_zpslfg8yvwz.jpg

DSC_5838_zpsyvuogrmm.jpg

T3RM1N4T0R

The Terminator Mod
Advisor
25/8/13
Great comparison and great franken. Saw it with xj4sonx and almost couldn´t believe it was a franken, it just looks so good.
Purchased new in 2002, took it to the Atlantic, Indian and Pacific Oceans ... and my box looks as Yours do.
DSC_5855c_zpslfg8yvwz.jpg

DSC_5838_zpsyvuogrmm.jpg
I am truly blown away at how good it is. I am humbled to have it after all the blood, sweat, and tears that were poured into the build. Super stoked he now has a gen

J!m1

Renowned Member
6/6/14
Connecticut
Really nice write up and job on that franken!

i bet the thickness is not that different but the case back shape is what makes the gen so comfortable.

I had the white face GMT version of his watch because at the time, it seems everyone had a blue Bond watch.

I might have to revisit the old blue face again...

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
7/10/15
Ireland
Yep I can confirm my Box and card holder looks like all of yours lol. They do not age well.

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
7/10/15
Ireland

FiloViridae

Advisor
Advisor
27/3/15
NYC
Congrats on the gen buddy!

Thanks man!

That looks awesome man! Looks great for being that old. Mines from 2001, and I hope to keep it in decent shape! At least I'm hoping haha

This is really light material. But then again, it's not a PP. some of their boxes are insane!

I am truly blown away at how good it is. I am humbled to have it after all the blood, sweat, and tears that were poured into the build. Super stoked he now has a gen

Thanks man!! Again, glad it went to someone who would love it the way I did. I didn't wear it much, but I loved it. And now, love the Gen more then ever.. More then I thought I would.

Really nice write up and job on that franken!

i bet the thickness is not that different but the case back shape is what makes the gen so comfortable.

I had the white face GMT version of his watch because at the time, it seems everyone had a blue Bond watch.

I might have to revisit the old blue face again...

Yep I can confirm my Box and card holder looks like all of yours lol. They do not age well.

Haha I can see that! I think it adds to it, personally. I can dig it! Mine just has a terrible odor..

replicalover

Renowned Member
20/2/11
Chicago
I am servicing a gen for a friend at the moment with a 1120 movement. Very nice, easy to clean and oil movement. Not really into this watch at all but nice for a everyday beater.

Conquerer

27/5/15
Just a note on the clasp: perhaps the writing isn't quite there with the logo, "Omega" and "Seamaster," but don't let it throw you off if you see different versions of "Professional" with slightly different lettering, especially the esses, because it's the same with the real thing. Perhaps it's date based and newer ones have the more vertically condensed font, I'm not sure. But I noticed this with my gen Speedy when I got a new clasp from Swatch. "Professional" and even the bracelet code font on the folding mechanism were entirely different, and I don't think the Omega logo and "Omega" were even exactly the same.

Also I seem to recall my current SMP 300m having a different "Professional" than the first one I had. Anyway I'm at work and don't have either my Speedy or SMP but I have definitely seen different clasp lettering on the exact same watch model before. Even the way those esses look on your rep clasp I have seen before (or perhaps even have on my gen SMP) and I'm wearing an LMPO right now with the esses like that too.