• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Omega Planet Ocean full review plus compro

taiji

30/11/06
Hi Everyone,

This review plus compro may come a bit late but I hope to do a full version review for this fabulous rep (probably the best rep of the year before Breitling SFSO). I also hope that it will become a useful source of information for PO fans.

Here we go...

Bytor's review on 3rd and 4th generation of his 42mm POs was the best IMHO. It is a must read for any newbie entering into our hobby.

From his review, I learn more about the flaws about this popular rep.

The 4th gen 42mm PO is no doubt one of the best made rep in Omega series but it also came with a number of flaws.

1.) Incorrect Omega logo used (Despite going through so many rounds of improvement, it really beat us why won't the rep factory fix this once and for all because the 45.5mm UPO inside my review later is so near to perfection)
2.) Incorrect crown
3.) Shorter hour and minute hands
4.) The words "PLANET OCEAN" on the outter part of the caseback is etched not engraved
5.) Large gap between the lug and bracelet
6.) Nightmare loose clasp that will never lock up tight.
7.) Bloated pearl (looks like a rollie pearl without sanding it flat)

Eversince the rep factory released the 42mm PO rep, it has gone through many stages / generation of improvements.

I guess it must be the good Omega design which created a high demand for this model that make the rep factory push forward again and again to improve further and to sell them at higher price. It is business thing, you want better stuff? You pay more.

My review / compro will focus heavily on the next superstar rep. Yes sir... the 45.5mm PO.

2369112094_75a0546113.jpg

Omega introduce 2 sizes 942mm and 45.5mm) for this model (see pic above).Being a world class watch brand, I think Omega release the 2 sizes for both the western (with larger wirst) and eastern wearers.
Most people like the juicy orange colour bezel and numerals when they first saw the watch.The black bezel with white numerals on the dial has its supporters too.
For some people, they just want to have a combination of both. The 2006 planet ocean (with black bezel and orange numerals) was released and the match was fantastic.

Both the small and big size POs are powered by Omega 2500 caliber movment. It is a self winding automatic watch with co-axial escapement. It is more of a Diver's watch as the water resistance is down to 600m or 2000 feet.
Crystal used is domed (raised and curved) scratched resistant with AR coating on both sides. Handsome looking timepiece with sleek designed SS case.

The rep factory produced 4 versions of 45.5mm PO rep altogether. The reps were released at different stages / timing and because of this, many members got confused as to which one is the best versions to go for.

Version 1

I wasn't so lucky. Eager to get one at that time, I pulled the trigger on this version which was powered by Swiss ETA2824.
The movement sit well with a steel holder and to also comes with a anti magnetic cover. The crystal has very weak single sided AR coating.

Let's see what are the flaws;

2369111992_563f86597c_o.jpg

2369112218_4124417118.jpg

1 - Look at the crappy pearl from this angle, the pearl protruded out more and looks rounded with a "pop-out" effect.
- The minute hand is shorter ( I suspend the rep factory used the same hands for 42mm PO rep )
- Wrong crown used in this version. The crown surface flushed with the side case after you screw in the crown fully. The crown size on the gen should be bigger and protrude out.

2 - The text on the clasp should be engraved in this order for 45.5mm PO. "Omega-Seamasters-Professional-Planet Ocean". "Professional" is missing here
- Look at the slim bracelet, it is obvious that the rep factory make use of the same parts as 42mm PO rep to save cost.
- I measured the lug width and confirmed that it is smaller than 22mm which can only be fitted by 42mm PO bracelet.

3 - Incorrect Logo used, this one is worst than the one used on 4th gen PO rep. The rep surface top is rounded whereas the logo surface top is flat on the gen.
- Gen logo will reflect light when it fall directly on it but will turn dark or "disappear" when it is facing at dim dark area.
- The incorrect logo reflect lights from all angles easily because of the rounded and polished surface top.
- As usual, the wrong logo with "feet" on both ends

4 - The rep factory tried to make improvement on the caseback by engraving the Planet Ocean text. But it is still incorrect because only the first alphabet letter is capitaled. eg. "P"lanet "O"cean
- The seamonster is also incorrect (the protruded part at the seamonster stomach should be engraved not protrude out.
- The serial number at the 7 o'clock position is missing here
- The number "952" on the bracelet is not meant for 45.5mm PO

Compro between UPO (Left) and version 1 (right)
2369114598_e5cc2085f3.jpg

- Check out the pearl on UPO. Although the pearl position is slightly out, the improvement was excellent on the UPO.
- Check out the crown. See the difference?
- The Helium valve position is out on version 1
- The text font and size used are also different. If you want to see the difference clearly, focus on the word "co-axial".
- lug width is 22mm which is correct for UPO. Version 1 luh width is smaller and there's no way to fit a UPO bracelet to it.

Version 2

My dealer told me that the sales for version 1 is not selling well than they expected. I guess the answer is obvious. The rep factory didn't stop but proceeded forward to make version 2.
So, what's with version 2??? Better improvements???

Let's find out...

2369114506_273bcc6474_o.jpg

2369114412_5ec7e7017e.jpg

2368279579_19be949923.jpg

Big Improvement done here. Look at the engraved text, deep and sharp. The letter "P" and "O" are correct this time in capital letters and the cool thing was that it is engraved not etched. The rough texture surface behind the seamonster is also very well replicated . Check out the serial numbers at the corner. Very good job done.

Krudos to the rep factory!!! It was a big improvement. The rep factory seem to know the flaws in version 1 and improve them all. I think it must be our friendly dealers here who constantly update the rep factory from the feedback gathered from us.

Version 2 is powered by Swiss ETA2824 and the movement sit in a steel holder with anti magnetic cover. Crystal has single sided AR coating. The lug width is measured correctly at 22mm. Added serial number on the back of the case near
the 7 o'clock position. Clasp engravement is also done correctly.

No bad IMO. At least, all the improvements done are pleasing to our eyes except for one thing. The Logo. Like I mentioned earlier on, why can't the rep factory perfect the rep once and for all?
Well, guess we have to live with it.

Version 3 (UPO)

I guess the rep factory know about "monstrous" size logo. They gave their best shot this time and used the correct size logo.
Unfortunately, the logo is still incorrect as it still has "feet" on both ends.

Let's see some compro between the gen and UPO. Please note that the UPO has been modded with the correct no feet logo from Silix (One of the dealer here).

2369117434_a571f3b14b.jpg

2368282793_94c4f05044.jpg

Beveled edge window same like gen. Pearl position is slightly out but still fall in the satisfactory zone.

2369117310_66648b7137.jpg

2369117614_b1c4cc84e7.jpg

As this is the best ever made 45.5mm PO rep, the term ultimate planet ocean (aka UPO) was created. The UPO actually attracted many people. Be it Omega fans or not, many pull the trigger for this one.
The UPO runs on Swiss ETA2824 and the movement sit in a steel holder with anti magnetic cover. The crystal comes with single sided AR coating. This is truly one ultimate or almost perfect rep if not for the wrong logo.

As as we thought that the UPO will be the last version, the rep factory released one ultimately final and last version 4.

Version 4 (UPO-Lite)

Basically, the appearance of the watch, case construction etc are the same as UPO except the movement and crystal.

Version 4 is powered up by Asian DG4813 movement and fall back to single AR coating crystal.

The rep factory actually used lower cost movement and crystal to bring the price of this baby down so that hobbists like us can afford it. I guess the plan works. From what I know,
UPO-Lite were wiped out at a short time because of its "very" affordable price. You can still check with the dealer whether if it is still available but chances are slim. The rep factory stoppd making UPO-Lite
and sell only UPO with swiss movement.

The asian DG4813 movement is very reliable, the watch is running like a charm and keeps accurate time.

Difference between the UPO and UPO-Lite will be the datefont. UPO uses standard datefont from ETA2824 datewheel while the UPO-Lite uses the datefont from Asian DG4813 movement.
The difference is easy to tell mainly by the numbers "1" & "4".

Take a look below

2368301717_3dfec08ce3.jpg

Asian cloned movement will display a "4" with pointed head while the swiss movement will display a flat top "4".
For the number "1", it will have a "tail" at the top on Asian DG4813 movement while the swiss movement will have "no" tail.

For me, I was broke at that time so I got the UPO-Lite.

Here's are some compro between the UPO-Lite and the gen. Please note that the UPO-Lite is modded with correct logo from Silix's dial.

2368301291_535c5ff61e.jpg

2368301393_47abdae28c.jpg

2368301475_e485911ef8.jpg

- Correct engraved "P" & "O" capital letters
- Correct numbers "951" engraved on both side of the bracelet
- Correct engraving details of the seamonster

2368301639_ea268c4978.jpg

- The "3" displaying at the datewindow is slightly different. But if the UPO-Lite movement is swapped to using swiss, then the datefont will be the same like the gen.
- Hour markers height are the same as gen. Big improvement on the dial as compared to version 1.
- Correct text font on the dial
- Correct numerals (Notice the tail at the end of the number "2")

There are 2 rep factories each producing PO rep. The above illustrated reps are from the first rep factory and you can get them from dealers like Josh, ruby or Trusty.
There is also another 45.5mm PO rep available from Silix and her dial has the correct logo.

Just to share some observations I found on Silix's dial and the rep;

2368305607_dec0ae8e42.jpg

- Correct logo (no feet)
- Protruding pearl
- Datefont is not correct
- Numerals and text font size are bigger
- Hour markers are too slim (look at 6 o'clock marker, it should be higher than the indices beside it)

Ok Folks, above are the full history of 45.5mm PO rep.I hope that you find my review plus compro interesting.

If you are thinking of doing a mod to your PO, below are some information and people you can contact

1.) Dial with the correct logo - Silix
2.) AR coating - K222 or chieftang
3.) Lume - Ziggy or Vacuum
4.) Watch servicing - Ziggy
5.) Gen Omega parts (eg. dial, hands, bezel etc) - Cousin from UK

Eyecandies

2368305411_c66b19bf3d.jpg

2368363103_10268bc2cf.jpg

2368305525_7d3161fe1d.jpg

- The UPO-Lite looks more complete with the boxset

Thanks for viewing.

tjul

Horology Curious
27/1/08
wow dude...

you just answered all my PO & UPO questions

THANKS!

taiji

30/11/06
czarczar said:
Are you sure the UPO comes with a double coated AR crystal? I'm really not sure, not trying to be argumentative.

It was stated in Trusty's site. I also put the UPO under normal white light before. I do see a stronger blue hue (as compared to the UPO-Lite) and the crystal sort of disappear when you view it at certain angle.

I am convinced that it has double AR but maybe the double AR done by the rep factory is not as good as the gen.

Your feedback is always welcome here an thanks. I hope to make this thread as informative as possible.

:D

taiji

30/11/06
Sorry guys,

I checked and it was described as sapphire crystal with AR in trusty's site not double AR.

Having made that correction, I really do see a stronger blue hue on UPO.

Whether single or double AR, I will find a chance to ask my dealer to show me again if he still has it.

Thank you guys for providing the info in this thread.

taiji

30/11/06
Updated information

Hi All,

czarczar is correct about the single coated AR on UPO.

Also the Asian cloned 2824 is not correct too. It supposed to be DG4813 movement.

Thank you very much for providing me the information. If there is anything else in my review is incorrect, please let me know.

Correction made and updated in my review.

daytona4me

sorry who are
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
@ taji, you get free vip upgrade status for this post... it is of the highest quality! I will sticky it and also move a copy to the watch review section!

Great Work!

moscar45

Horology Curious
25/2/07
Awesome review. There is only one hting that I didn't read that may have been addressed, but I wanted to ask. Does the "Ultimate" 45.5 version have the correct length hands? Thanks.

guanaco

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/7/07
Sidi Power Plant
daytona4me said:
@ taji, you get free vip upgrade status for this post... it is of the highest quality! I will sticky it and also move a copy to the watch review section!

Great Work!

He also gets a ROFLWAFFLE!

ROFLWAFFLE.jpg

Enjoy!

Sperry

2/8/07
I have re-read this many review many times and I agree this is fantastic review... THANKS!!!

sable

Horology Curious
15/8/07
Thank you very much. With all the research and time invested you should be granted a Dr. degree. If I may, a couple of questions, please.
1. Quite a few happy UPO owners boast off genuine parts in their replicas. In your review you refer to "a cousin in UK" as a source for gen hands, dials, etc. Could you please give us the cousin's name :). I understand an option could be lurking on e-bay and other e-places, but maybe there is a simpler solution?
2. Waterproofing. Andrew is giving an additional service for that, which is especially advisable for watches with HE valve as a potential leak source. It is not that $50 is very expensive, but would you think it is necessary in principle?.
Thanks a lot, Doctor.

TSC1

Looking Around
11/9/08
Thanks for that review... as a newbie, can anyone recommend which one and where to go to get a decent 42mm black and white PO on a bracelet. I've looked around and seen so many but some look great and others look awful. Especially the bracelet fittings. Some offer Japanese and some Swiss but unless your an expert that takes the back off, how do I know what's inside the watch? Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks

CincyBengalMan

You're Saying I Can Sell?
2/1/09
How does the Asian ETA Clone 2824 match to the Swiss 2824-2 on the UPO? Is it worth spending the extra money on the swiss ETA? Is the date font correct on the Asian? How does the Asian look with the case off compared to the Swiss?

Thanks!