• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

BP blue SMPc full review

britain4

I'm Pretty Popular
13/11/15
The SMPc has been covered in reviews on here before most recently here by [MENTION=83540]ilya93robbins[/MENTION]https://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/sh...-use-bezel-modbut there are a few details in the latest ones that are slightly different so I thought this calls for a full review. This is long so skip to the last paragraph for a summary!

Firstly a big thank you to Lucy who got the watch to me very quickly from payment and also supplies the bezel insert separately so you can fit it yourself - to me a huge plus. When I mention the 'latest ones' this watch has been revised a few times and I am talking about mine specifically and the sample QC pics from a few weeks ago Lucy sent me under the assumption they are all currently the same.

To start at the top, this watch looks amazing. It has a really nice gen like appearance with a lovely sparkle in the light and that blue ceramic is something to behold when it catches the sunlight. Appearance wise I comfortably prefer this to my V6 factory CrPO.

I'll start with the bezel. This is a reasonable effort from BP as the colour is passable and the pearls on the latest ones are really nicely done. Some say the colour is not quite gen like but it changes colour that much in different lights it's hard to say. It has the tiniest bit of play in it but looks great and turns really smoothly.

The bezel markers look good but unfortunately are matt and the wrong colour, similar to the Subs they are white and should be a sparkly dark silver. They're also a fraction deeper than gen like the SubC. I'm trying [MENTION=15706]pilworx[/MENTION] paint mod on my Sub so I'll do it on this at the same time. It seems this is constructed in exactly the same way as the Sub inserts as it's also completely flat like them whereas the gen is ever so slightly rounded at the edges

The dial is gorgeous. Lovely blue that changes colour dramatically with the light. All markers and text are good and the latest ones don't have the 'dome' effect on the markers, they are flat like gen. The AR on the crystal is good - I get strong blue reflections but I think these are to do with the blue dial and clarity is also excellent compared to gen. Nothing wrong with the hands either, they compare very well to gen ones. Unfortunately there are a couple of specks of dust under mine but hey ho.

Lume is not the brightest initially and the green parts are a bit brighter than the blue but stays readable all night long just like my gen SMP dial.

Now to the case. The first ones to come out had a very accurate case and they have used a couple of others since which have been slightly off. One had a shroud over the crown like the GMT and the latest also has them slightly incorrect as well. The He valve is fine, a little lower than gen but still higher than the 50 marker so you'd struggle to notice - the popular 'tell' is that it's aligned with the 50 marker. With the crown guards trimmed a bit it would be accurate enough. The sides of the latest case are slightly different but this is hard to notice. Nicely finished case though, brushing is good and overall well made but not as accurate to gen as it used to be. The crown is smooth as butter and so is the movement.

The bracelet - this was a little stiff when I got it. The links are well shaped - curvature of the end ones looks a little more like some of the older wave dials but who will notice? After a wash in WD40 and baby oil bath things are much improved, overall the bracelet on this is really really nice and looks close to gen.

A big but though - the new clasp is a real disappointment. Maybe I've been spoiled by the quality of the V6 CrPO clasp and my gen SMP clasp but the earlier ones on these SMPc's looked 100x better. Nasty sharp edges abound, and the brushing and engraving looks cheap - nowhere near deep enough and seems like the logo has been distorted somehow. The divers extension has lost its ceramic ball bearings and makes do with some cheap metal tabs like the old SMP which like to come open by themselves. At least it closes securely with a nice click which is more than I can say for my CrPO. Real shame as other than that the bracelet on this is superb.

The caseback is a highlight of this rep for me. You might have seen the first ones that are a million miles from gen with the polished waves and indistinct text. This one looks gorgeous and very close to gen, it's a real improvement on the old. There are a couple of imperfections on the satin waves but nothing noticeable from any distance.

Overall, am I happy with this rep? Definitely! It's a gorgeous watch and for the most part it's very gen like.

Do I think it's overpriced? A bit. It's at least $40 more than the V6 CrPO rep and while it's a 2824 not a Miyota it has no decoration and is also a rep of a cheaper watch. Despite this it is not quite as accurate a rep and the clasp is awful. If it still came with the old clasp and highly accurate case I might have thought different. Nevertheless this is a really well built, high quality watch with the exception of that damn clasp!

XGrZN2F.jpg

G4um2Wh.jpg

DDABrQi.jpg

DZidYBD.jpg

lda6Hmu.jpg

zxmLQxz.jpg

ilya93robbins

Known Member
14/5/14
Nice review man. Have to admit, my CGs look slightly different from yours.
Don't worry about the bracelet stiffness. Mine was stiff when I received it as well. WD40 didn't help me, but after a month of wearing it everyday the bracelet becomes very comfortable.
Post some pictures when you finish the bezel mod.
And enjoy it!

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
7/10/15
Ireland
Great review my friend.

britain4

I'm Pretty Popular
13/11/15
Thanks for the positive comments!
[MENTION=83540]ilya93robbins[/MENTION] Fair dos hopefully it will loosen up a bit then like you say. It's not uncomfortable just makes the otherwise really nice bracelet feel cheaper off the wrist. The clasp really is uncomfortable though and I'll need to smooth some of the edges on it.

Yup pics after bezel mod - it won't look perfect but at least the colour should be closer to the gen. Thanks it's a nice watch!

britain4

I'm Pretty Popular
13/11/15
After a few days - bracelet is loosening up. Wearing the watch and seeing how damn close it is to a gen at the AD has made me forget about all the flaws bar the crown guards and bezel insert (and sharp clasp)

Will get round to shaping the CGs at some point and I'll try a paint mod on the bezel as that really sticks out like a sore thumb compared to gen. Seen 1 or 2 that look pretty good.

BirkinTourbillon

I'm Pretty Popular
25/3/14
Thanks for the review [MENTION=115439]britain4[/MENTION], it's totally helpful for those who are considering this very particular watch, including me. I really did not know about the cons of this watch in detail until having read your review. And despite all the bad things of it, still enjoy it buddy, it looks beautiful for sure

"Tienes que correr riesgos, en esta vida"

britain4

I'm Pretty Popular
13/11/15
[MENTION=81248]D'artagnan[/MENTION] thanks for the positive comments. Really is a gorgeous looking watch with unfortunately a few tells which would be easy to put right (and indeed they have in the past)

I've edited my review a little as I as a bit too harsh on it in a couple of places I think!

rek0001

1/1/13
I'm strongly considering getting this watch after CNY, thanks much for your excellent review.
What a shame the clasp has been downgraded though.

britain4

I'm Pretty Popular
13/11/15
[MENTION=56624]rek0001[/MENTION] Thanks for the positive comment. My advice - do it, you won't be disappointed!

It is especially as the first version looked so good with the nice deep gen like engraving and attention to detail like the ceramic ball bearings :(

motoman83

Known Member
23/3/13
Really sad what's come of this rep. Sounds like the quality has really been reduced from the earlier ones. My guess is BP factory isn't doing so well.

britain4

I'm Pretty Popular
13/11/15
@motoman83 Yeah I agree. It's still a really nice watch though and the quality in most areas is brilliant. Bracelet is really nice apart from the clasp, wish I'd gone for the gen SMPc one I saw on eBay a while back for £35 now.

If they'd left the clasp and case as it was, and found a way to make the bezel markers semi gloss silver instead it would be a super rep for sure.

Hellios

Horology Curious
16/2/16
Your review was helpful thanks!
Considering to buy this rep. Really unsure because im a newb. How much did you pay?

i'm a noob, and i dont see myself doing any mods. Is the bezel coloring and crown guard screaming rep rep rep? What's the +/- sec in 24 hours?

britain4

I'm Pretty Popular
13/11/15
This is one of the few watches I'm aiming for a gen of. Good choice!
@Hellios Welcome to the forum! Thanks for the positive comments. The watch was $308 plus shipping from Lucy @ Truetime. That's the cheapest I could find from a TD but get some quotes first. As I'm sure you know, aside from a few exceptions the TDs are the only 100% safe way to buy.

The bezel colouring is the same story as the Subs, in some lights the white is bang on the gen but in others the gen changes to silver and grey while the rep is always obviously white. It is a tell if you're looking for it but doesn't scream 'fake'. Likewise with the crown guards, from a quick glance on the wrist they look right

frediiii

3/7/15
The bezel colouring is the same story as the Subs, in some lights the white is bang on the gen but in others the gen changes to silver and grey while the rep is always obviously white. It is a tell if you're looking for it but doesn't scream 'fake'.

The colouring is less of a problem I think. The real problem is that the bezel lettering are laser etched and therefore recessed. On the gen this is not the case. Much more obvious than the colour, IMO.

Hellios

Horology Curious
16/2/16
The colouring is less of a problem I think. The real problem is that the bezel lettering are laser etched and therefore recessed. On the gen this is not the case. Much more obvious than the colour, IMO.

Ahh so if you run your finger on the gen bezel it should feel smooth like nothing. But on the rep, it is slightly lower like very little engraved and bumpy.
Should i get it. Aahhhh or should I get the older blues :(

frediiii

3/7/15
you can slightly feel the printed on letters on the gen when you run your fingernail across it. but very subtle. I tried to take pictures but to me it is impossible to capture. on every picture it looks like it has etched lettering like the rep.

britain4

I'm Pretty Popular
13/11/15
[MENTION=25079]matt2302[/MENTION] wow that is absolutely beautiful! I'd have absolutely jumped on that, amazing deal!!

I was was about to enthuse about how close my bracelet looks to the one on your gen when I saw your other post haha. Still, congratulations are in order, you got the deal of the century there!