• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Has anyone ever done an Seamaster 300M quartz build? Well......

idontknow

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
24/5/11
Southwest
Following up on My hundred dolla' score thread (which has gone well beyond that figure now)-

Now to gather the necessary parts for a quartz build.....

My base begins with one of these from WBK (along with the rep crown from my hundred dolla' score- since the profile was much better)-

http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php?t=103857&highlight=omega

SMP002.jpg

Then we add one of these (I did some reading on WUS to figure out what movement was required)-

http://www.esslinger.com/eta-255-461-quartz-watch-movement.aspx

255.461_2.jpg

An extra stem (just in case)-

http://www.esslinger.com/eta-replacement-watch-stems.aspx?variation=105675

Movement rings are a necessity-

http://www.esslinger.com/bestfit-movement-ring-refill-pieces-for-watches.aspx?variation=49147

80.033-17.jpg

And hands of course-

http://www.ofrei.com/omega-watch-hands-caliber-1438.html#21200

Oh damn, the stem is too short for the case so.....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007UJOBYA/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

51JKzALUVLL.jpg

And need a little bit of generic help in the movement ring department-

http://www.amazon.com/Watch-Movemen...kmr0&keywords=assorted+watch+movement+holders

51FkLaWJUqL.jpg

And batteries are a must (since I can't seem to find 370/371's in the usual local places)-

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RB5B3I/ref=oh_details_o00_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

41XeACwocjL.jpg

Did I mention I started with a gen quartz dial (thanks Q5?), a vintage gen bezel insert with my own "custom" pearl, and a leftover crystal from a V5 PO (and a crazy idea)?
(Sorry, no pics, but trust me on this.)

Today, the final pieces I need to wrap this up- stem extensions and batteries arrive.......

And that gets me to the almost finished piece. I just haven't figured out if it will go on a bracelet or a strap (though I am leaning towards a strap for this one).

ed4lm.jpg

LIBBY

Known Member
8/12/06
Awesome! Love stuff like this!

Quartz watches get a bad rap out there. I got a 10 yr anniversary watch from my last job (a Victronox Swiss Army) with a quartz movement. No winding! No setting the time and date! No stripped crown tubes and crowns! Just wear it!

I love the SMP 300, and the gens with the quartz movements can be found pretty reasonably out there, very interested to see how this turns out (and if you are selling it!)...

Zack Morris

I'm Pretty Popular
27/5/10
Oregon
This looks familiar. You should sell it to me. I would love a quartz Seamaster that is waterproofed as a daily wear.

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
And that's the way it's done!

Not a big fan of quartz but this is an awesome project!

Zack Morris

I'm Pretty Popular
27/5/10
Oregon
Let me know if you'd be interested in switching out a quartz movement in my Tag Formula 1. It recently went bad and those ETA movements are cheap. My hands are just way too shaky these days. Too much Diet Coke I presume.

idontknow

Advisor
24/5/11
Southwest
I had a quartz in black several years ago and sold it....

:picard:

I am not the biggest fan of quartz myself, but when Q5? sent me the dial a while back......

I will be keeping my eyes out for a insert/pearl in better condition.

This will be another one that I would be hard pressed to let go of, too much time/$ invested.

idontknow

Advisor
24/5/11
Southwest
Let me know if you'd be interested in switching out a quartz movement in my Tag Formula 1. It recently went bad and those ETA movements are cheap. My hands are just way too shaky these days. Too much Diet Coke I presume.

I never mess with someone else' stuff. Too easy to risk a bent hand, etc.

I just had to re-seat a hand on one of my personal gen pieces and was a little nervous doing that one....

LIBBY

Known Member
8/12/06
Why all the quartz hate?

I totally get it, from a mechanical wonder point of view, but I have three automatic watches at home all with stripped crowns/tubes or busted stems.

santre22

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/12
I have been thinking on the same project. I have a gen omega quartz movement from a SMP 300 and a hand set. But what I heard the closed factory SMP is hard to find. And I don't want the newer ones with wrong case profile. Because spending 5-600$ on a Franken is not worth it if you don't have a good base. In my opinion ofcourse.

and I almost forgot to tell you what a beautiful watch you have there. Quartz is the every day watch its always working no worries. Mechanical watches are more fun but still you should own at least one Quartz watch. Also one of my opinions. :)

idontknow

Advisor
24/5/11
Southwest
I have been thinking on the same project. I have a gen omega quartz movement from a SMP 300 and a hand set. But what I heard the closed factory SMP is hard to find. And I don't want the newer ones with wrong case profile. Because spending 5-600$ on a Franken is not worth it if you don't have a good base. In my opinion ofcourse.

and I almost forgot to tell you what a beautiful watch you have there. Quartz is the every day watch its always working no worries. Mechanical watches are more fun but still you should own at least one Quartz watch. Also one of my opinions. :)

I understand about the case profile/depth of machining inside.

In the end I made a spacer (using part of a movement ring) that is between the dial/case to align the stem with the crown/tube (I will get a ring machined at some point). The alignment without it was horrible, and the stress on the stem/movement was really bad.

I also used the original movement ring from the 21j movement to align/center the dial in the case. I was able to use dial dots to secure the dail/movement to the ring (plus I modified the channel for the stem), and everything dropped in nicely on the spacer I put in place.

I will be buying a new second hand though. It took a beating when I was interrupted by my little offspring (and alignment is slightly off), such is the price of summer vacation.... For now it will reside on a generic croc style leather with deployment buckle that I took off of another watch.

AS far as Quartz goes, I own over a dozen of different types (many Mickey's). I just have a soft spot in my "heart" for mechanicals.

Now on to my last pics (for now)-

1jp0b.jpg

mobfr.jpg

4n3a.jpg

njaq.jpg

Siblings-

q14s3.jpg

And the wristie........

3b3iq.jpg

LIBBY

Known Member
8/12/06
Came out really nice. Since you posted this I have been seeing what authentic SMP 300 Quartzs go for. Around $750 to $1000 on eBay. Almost affordable!

idontknow

Advisor
24/5/11
Southwest
Came out really nice. Since you posted this I have been seeing what authentic SMP 300 Quartzs go for. Around $750 to $1000 on eBay. Almost affordable!

Is that for the 41mm or 36mm?

Sellers on eBay tend to neglect listing the size knowing the reduced 36's aren't as desirable....

mclarendude

𝙟𝙚𝙩𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙚𝙙
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
ATL
That is stunning. I'm doing a franken Chronometer SMP, but I might just do a quartz one too!!

shelby1501

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/10/11
Looks great! What would be approximate price for such a project if it's ok to ask? :)

idontknow

Advisor
24/5/11
Southwest
Looks great! What would be approximate price for such a project if it's ok to ask? :)

In the end you are looking at spending about $500-700 if you go with a new rep for a base + new/used gen parts.

It's more about the "journey" than the price.....

D

d4m.test

Great project for a reliable watch ............ and it looks gen. Congrats

mclarendude

𝙟𝙚𝙩𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙚𝙙
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
ATL
Could we get the pictures back up? This is too good of a build! [MENTION=38123]idontknow[/MENTION]

idontknow

Advisor
24/5/11
Southwest
Could we get the pictures back up? This is too good of a build! [MENTION=38123]idontknow[/MENTION]

I just circled back around to this site after a very extended break from the hobby. I have too many things going on in life, other money pit hobbies (have been shooting a lot of competition USPSA/IPSC/3G), and a divorce that sucked me dry...).

All my pics disappeared off of my hosting service, so I will see what I can find.