• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Project start teaser, first real Omega CrPO Franken!

santre22

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/12
Hello RWI,
a few members already know about this project I started over a year ago with the idea of making a perfect Franken CrPo. This was when Andrew and Josh first launched the BP model.

But there where to many flaws and gen parts where not available at this time. So a long wait for a update of the rep base watch began.

then came the updated BP 45 Ti and I bought it to find out the insert was made from aluminum. Crap! And to find a gen for the Ti version is impossible and if available in the 1000$ range.
So I sold that one.

then came the Noob and this is where the good things start. It's a good enough base for my Franken.
Also I have the exceptional luck to find the only existing lose omega 8500 movement. (In mint condition, one heavily water damaged was sold on eBay also.)
Here we have a teaser pic of some parts:
qu8u.jpg

more pics will coming and comparing rep and gen parts.

Also I'm on my iPhone for a few days as my computer died on me. So I'm having little trouble to upload and manage pictures. Be patient :)

Cheers
Santre

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
One of the coolest projects we will see this year... Can't wait for the final result!!!

santre22

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/12
Thanks Mr.Pap

The noob bezel is good and have a really nice pearl but when you compared it next to the gen it's actually lots of differences. The black color of insert, print position on insert. and most noticeable the bezel edge the coin pattern is much larger on the rep.
but I will give noob that the pearl is amazing because it really is.

jcagara08

I'm Pretty Popular
9/1/11
oh wow finally you made a strong ripple again for us Omega die hard fans!

Subscribed too!

Still waiting for that updated faux 8500 movement update though then I'll cop the blue titanium 45mm version.

Damn get this thread up and running mate!

Excited!:coffee:

santre22

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/12
The bezel won't fit without modification. But when it's modded the bezel feeling is WOW!!
Pearl Gen vs. Noob, also the bezel teeth. Some close up IPhone photo. And last with the gen bezel successfully installed.

mc1b.jpg

vm6p.jpg

sunnydale

Put Some Respect On My Name
29/8/09
Oh my god! This is something to die for!

Do you have a genuine DW on the 8500 movement? I am curious to know if rep and gen DW are interchangeable. Rep DW is like a faded version of a genuine.

santre22

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/12
Oh my god! This is something to die for!

Do you have a genuine DW on the 8500 movement? I am curious to know if rep and gen DW are interchangeable. Rep DW is like a faded version of a genuine.

Yes it have the gen DW. Unfortunately the DW window is 0,3-0,4 mm to close to the center in the rep dials so I need to order a gen dial (1000$ at CousinsUK) this project is really going to be expensive!

DW gen vs. Noob and dial on gen mov.

24yw.jpg

4b3u.jpg

santre22

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/12
Or does the 42 and 45 mm models have different DWs? Sunny how is your noob compared to your gen (date window position?)

sunnydale

29/8/09
Or does the 42 and 45 mm models have different DWs? Sunny how is your noob compared to your gen (date window position?)

I cannot see any difference in the date window position on 45.5 mm version between my rep and gen watch. Is yours 42 mm?

It seems that the gen DW should fit the rep movement?

santre22

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/12
Yes my is the 42 mm CrPO. The gen DW won't fit on the Eta or clone movements because the teeth and size are different.
also in the rep its only an DW overlay so the gearing is standard eta 28-xx. I hope it's not a difference between the 42 and 45 mm because then do I have a large problem.

the gen dial won't fit either or I need to source a new DW (almost impossible) or buy the 45mm + gen bezel and hands and all other parts... I'm already out about 2600$ on this and many then another 1000$ for the dial. What is the gen price in usd? It's 4600€ when I was at the omega AD here last time. And 3200-3500€ for a usesed one.

chaw6125

Renowned Member
14/6/12
Yes my is the 42 mm CrPO. The gen DW won't fit on the Eta or clone movements because the teeth and size are different.
also in the rep its only an DW overlay so the gearing is standard eta 28-xx. I hope it's not a difference between the 42 and 45 mm because then do I have a large problem.

the gen dial won't fit either or I need to source a new DW (almost impossible) or buy the 45mm + gen bezel and hands and all other parts... I'm already out about 2600$ on this and many then another 1000$ for the dial. What is the gen price in usd? It's 4600€ when I was at the omega AD here last time. And 3200-3500€ for a usesed one.

The gen 8500 and datewheel is surely the same on both 42mm and 45mm.

I think that the rep dial probably has the date window moved to line up with the ETA date wheel.

I'm sure the gen dial will work. It's just an expensive work around.

sunnydale

29/8/09
Yep would be odd if there was a difference between 42 mm and 45.5 mm gen versions.

I paid 3200 euros when bought my used genuine...so it will be an expensive rep. One thing to mention (you don't like to hear this) is that there is a difference between a genuine and a rep crystal/AR, genuine is somewhat more clear. I am still uncertain if I will sell my gen or keep it.

santre22

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/12
So I got the BP 42 mm CrPO today and I have done some tests. Results are:

First, the BP bezel is a @&€*#*# pain in the A SS to remove and I have a lot of experience in bezel removing. The gen bezel won't fit on BP version it have a complete other bezel assembly than noob.
also the noob bezel won't fit the BP. The BP bezel is little bigger in diameter around the glass.
the noob insert is a lot thinner and therefore need to be glued with a thick layer of glue to fit in the BP bezel. But it's looking awesome when it's done. Actually the teeth on the BP bezel edge is a little closer in size to the gen compared to noob.

Pictures coming later.

santre22

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/12
So I mixed up the noob bezel teeth are the closest to gen.

anyway here is a pic on the back.
idyp.jpg

the BP bezel actually bended a bit during the removal so I had to make it flat again.
And it's clearly wich wins in terms of quality and finish noob all the day.

santre22

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/12
Shame the 42mm gen bezel wont fit the noob case with out modding. The 45mm gen orange bezel fits perfectly (apparently) http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php?t=178007

The problem is the Gen bezel is to lose on the noob case (42 mm) and will fall off if not modded. the holding spring and click spring need exact the correct shape. If to much bending the bezel will not turn or go very hard. And also the edge around crystal need to be lightly oiled when the bezel is modded or it will not snap over the edge it will bend and you have to do the fine tuning of the holding spring again.

santre22

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/12
Also I tried the BP dial on the gen movement. It have the same incorrect DW window as the noob dial. So gen dial it is. Need to sell some of my other watches to be able to buy it first.