• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

PO LM LE - Photo Review and Comparison with Gen PO 2500C

pjsayer

I'm Pretty Popular
18/5/11
I picked up one of the newer 'improved dial' batch PO LM LEs from Ryan (InTime) last week and thought I'd do a quick photo review/comparison with my gen PO 2500C 2011. I know they are slightly different watches so it's not strictly an 'apples for apples' comparison, but I thought it might be of interest to those thinking about buying one.

Dial & Hands

Most will remember that the first release models suffered from frankly terrible QC issues with wonky dial markings and errant logos and the like. I’m pleased to report that the Noob factory seems to have sorted themselves out (either that or I’ve been extremely lucky!).

To my eyes at least, the rep dial is very nicely constructed with all key markings straight and true. The lume application is superb with no apparent overspill – the daytime colour is significantly whiter (as per the gen LE model) than the gen PO which has slightly yellowish markings. The dial is very glossy and beautiful to look at – I’m guessing it’s not ceramic like the gen, but it certainly looks the part.

The datewheel overlay is superb – white silver and slightly raised as per gen. If I’m being ultra critical the margins of the date window are slightly irregular to high res macro shots, but this really is knit picking. At a ‘normal’ viewing distance it appears flawless.

The hands are nicely recreated and IMO are better looking than the 8500 models which tend to look a bit toy like and less precise. No dust visible either which is a bonus – someone must have been having a good day in the factory that day! Being ultra critical the canon pinion height of the rep is slightly lower than gen, but only the most keen-eyed of observers would spot this and I'm cool with it.

Lume

The Noob LM LE lume is blue as gen. Personally I prefer blue to green as it matches the lighting in my Audi TT (sad, I know!). The rep lume takes a bit of activating, but it lasts all night and gives the watch a classy look. Perhaps not quite as bright as my gen PO, but certainly not far off.

Case

The rep LM LE case is very nicely made and to all intense and purposes looks the same as the gen. The sides are slightly brushed like the gen and the crown and HEV are well-positioned. I can’t comment too much on the caseback as obviously the standard PO and LM LE have different engravings, but the rep LM LE caseback is very nicely finished with a deeply engraved hippocampus.

Judging by some of the gen LM LE caseback photos online I’d say it was a good effort by the Noob boys by all accounts and you’d have to be a gen owner to spot any differences. And being that there are only 1948 of them around I think you’re probably safe here!

Bezel Insert & Pearl

Show me a better rep Omega pearl. It’s taken a few years, but the Chinese have finally worked out how to replicate this small but critical part of the insert. For once it is well centred and has plenty of metal rim around it. This is always the first thing that I look for when trying to work out whether the watch is gen or not as the UPO and v5 reps all suffered from iffy pearls poorly-centred in the triangle. I can’t spot the difference between the gen on my 2901.50 and the rep LM LE.

The insert itself looks great and does a decent job of recreating the ceramic/liquidmetal look of the gen. Apparently the numbers on the gen version are slightly recessed, but I can’t see this from photos so I’m relaxed. The bezel rotation is a fraction looser than gen, but critically there is no play in mine and the pearl lines up perfectly at 12.

Crystal
Wow. This is a superb rep crystal. Without doubt the best AR coating I’ve seen on a rep – I’ve owned the BP PO 42 ceramic and this had a reasonable crystal, but the Noob PO LM LE version blows it out of the water. Compared to the gen 2500C it has a very slight magenta hue visible at only a few angles, whereas the gen is colourless.

The key thing is there ‘disappearing crystal’ effect – it really helps the dial to pop and gives it a very gen-like appearance.

Bracelet

Okay this is where things start to drop off slightly. As soon as the Noob LM LE arrived I swapped in my gen bracelet and I’m pleased to report it fits like a well-worn glove (see pics below) – believe it or not it is snugger and less gappage than on the gen! So I know I’m cheating here as it probably isn’t a viable mod for most of us here, but having the gen bracelet completes this watch IMO.
For what it’s worth the rep bracelet is decent – probably slightly better than the v5 from a couple of years ago, but not quite up there with the BP ceramic PO models in terms of ‘feel’. The clasp snaps shut rather noisily and the SELs don’t marry the case quite as well as the gen.

I briefly had a go at resizing the bracelet and destroyed a couple of my tools. Trust me the reports you’ve read are true – the pins are ridiculously tight and require Yoda style mind-tricks to remove them. I’d suggest trying a good WD40 soak first which will probably have the added bonus of reducing any rattling from the links.

Movement

The Noob PO is powered by a clone 2824-2 which I’ve regulated to +2s / day on the wrist. The rotor is slightly audible at times, but certainly not loud and it doesn’t bother me. As stupid as it sounds, the slightly coarser sweep of the gen 2500C has always annoyed me as I prefer the higher beat rate of the original 2892-2 cal. 1120 which I have on my gen 2254.50. I suppose the smoother sweep is something of a tell on the rep, but I can certainly live with it ;-)

Overall

Why is it that when we get a really good rep it makes us want the gen more and more?! Ridiculous I know. I have decided that the gen version of the PO LM LE is probably my ‘grail’ so I’m going to keep an eye out for one to acquire in the New Year funds permitting and sell my 2901.50. In the mean time I’m going to enjoy wearing this superb rep which is quite frankly the best £200 I’ve ever spent.

If anyone wants to buy my gen PO (sans bracelet of course!) or has a gen LM LE they want to sell give me a shout. Thanks for reading…

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Very nice review and shots.

One of the best rep pearls i have evern seen!

Thanks for taking time and puting this together!!!

ActionZzZ

Horology Curious
7/10/12
What about the crooked attached 1 and 2 (2 is below 1) which give different refraction of light?
by the QC photos this defect seen almost 90% of the last rep PO and LM LE too :(

pjsayer

I'm Pretty Popular
18/5/11
Mine look pretty symmetrical to me - in the flesh not noticeable at all

surf

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
26/8/12
Browny points for you my friend!! I think this is the Rep of the year. Great job!!

pjsayer

I'm Pretty Popular
18/5/11
Browny points for you my friend!! I think this is the Rep of the year. Great job!!

I agree. Rep or gen, the LM LE PO is just betting looking than the standard model. In fact, to my eyes it is the best-looking diver available of any brand. When a gen becomes available for sensible money I'll snap it up. In the mean time I'm very happy with my Noob rep on the gen bracelet.

I think the display caseback of the 8500 rep is always going to be a sticking point and obvious tell. I also like the fact that the LE LM is quite rare (outside of watch fora, at least!) so you'd be unlucky to find yourself in one of those embarrassing 'snap' moments with someone with the gen version of your rep! I wish I could say the same for my No Date Sub C!

GWT#1

Renowned Member
1/4/12
Where the bluegrass sways!
ZzZ I for one just don't see that if you are referring to the 12 marker look at the 2 it is same distance from one at bend of top of 2 and the bottom of the beginning of the stand line on the 2 so 1 must be crooked also and I for on just don't see it!
For the money really hard to beat!

dsmdave

Renowned Member
15/1/11
What an outstanding replica! You could have told me you had bought a gen and I would have believed you(until you showed the movement shot). That has to be the best out of the box PO that I have seen. Wear this one with pride. You have an outstanding watch.

pjsayer

I'm Pretty Popular
18/5/11
What an outstanding replica! You could have told me you had bought a gen and I would have believed you(until you showed the movement shot). That has to be the best out of the box PO that I have seen. Wear this one with pride. You have an outstanding watch.

Cheers buddy. The gen bracelet really completes this watch - I was pleasantly surprised the SELs fitted so well. The bracelet was originally off of a gen PO LM LE so maybe it was meant to be!

andyr

I'm Pretty Popular
9/9/13
England
Thanks mate, great post and really helpful, I've got one on order so just waiting for it to arrive. Good luck with sourcing the gen!

pjsayer

I'm Pretty Popular
18/5/11
I apologise in advance for anyone getting bored of my pics. This watch is so photogenic...

XFi

You're Saying I Can Sell?
5/2/12
can I just ask how scratch resistant the bezel is? Is seems so shiny that you'll see every tiny scratch easily... Any info on this? Thanks a lot! Gorgeous watch otherwise!!!

Technojunkie

Looking Around
9/11/13
Any tips on resizing the bracelet as, despite several attempts, I've not been able to remove any of the pins.

garnier

Renowned Member
30/5/12
Which bracelet is the best for this watch? The bp? I'm thinking to buy the noob liquidmetal and I want the best bracelet.

thanks in advance