• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Looking for a decent 1655

discocain

You're Saying I Can Sell?
13/3/12
Hi everyone,

I was in love with the 1655er Explorer, the first time I layed my eyes on it. 10 to 12k for a gen seems to be out of the question, so I wonder if a decent rep is available.

The way I see it, there are two options for a guy like me, who has no modding skills, but two left hands with five thumbs on each:
1. Get a rep from a TD like trustytimes for example
2. Hope that a member sales comes up, where a modded version is waiting for me.

Because of those two left hands, I will stay away from own projects with parts from yuki or ingod for example.

The question is: what should I do, to get a decent 1655, and how much will it cost me?

Any advise from the vintage guys here on RWI? Thanks!
John

gw4k

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
28/8/10
I am working on mine right now.

I bought a 1655 from Andrew (trusty time)

The mods in the works:

> Case Slimming +CG shaping. The 1655 from the Cartel is a little fat on the crown side. Add Lughole drilling to this too.

> Bezel. I am looking for a Gen Bezel, since this is the first tell. One on ebay just recently sold for $600+ I got outbid.

> Dial. The Yuki Dial is about $150

> Movement. The Yuki 2824 ETA, or I might just keep the 21j in it.

watchguyusa1

I'm Pretty Popular
1/10/06
Boca Raton Florida USA
I am working on mine right now.

I bought a 1655 from Andrew (trusty time)

The mods in the works:

> Case Slimming +CG shaping. The 1655 from the Cartel is a little fat on the crown side. Add Lughole drilling to this too.

> Bezel. I am looking for a Gen Bezel, since this is the first tell. One on ebay just recently sold for $600+ I got outbid.

> Dial. The Yuki Dial is about $150

> Movement. The Yuki 2824 ETA, or I might just keep the 21j in it.
why get a gen bezel for $500+ ? you can get a phong bezel which is made exactly like a gen with the flat "4" for $250...

gw4k

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
28/8/10
why get a gen bezel for $500+ ? you can get a phong bezel which is made exactly like a gen with the flat "4" for $250...

I've seen the phongs and I think they fall short too.

Mendota

Put Some Respect On My Name
16/10/08
MN
Over on RG someone posted a picture of a side by side comparison of something like 6 different gen bezel versions. I am sure this is widely spread around and might be here as well. Anyway, in the picture you can clearly see variations of the gen bezels. The size of the numbers, shape, position on the bezel in relation to the outer edge... all of these things are different from version to version and they are all gen.

This just proves to me that there is no frigging way anyone is ever going to notice. No way, no how, unless that person is a vintage gen dealer and handles it OR if they have a photographic memory and they have access to all of these reference materials and photos at a moment's notice.

Don't sweat it, bud. Get the cartel version - Josh's version is reputed to be very good out of the box. Be sure to get the low beat movement. Beat it around a bit, and then someday when you get the motivation you can do a mod here and there on your own schedule. In the meantime you will be wearing it, scuffing it up, and appreciating it.

discocain

13/3/12
Thanks guys, if I go with the cartel version and want to change some parts with gen ones, are there any modders willing to do the job? For a fair payment of course.

Question two: Phong offers a complete build 1655 for 5.500 $, and a Set for 1.500 $. Insanity or an option, if your willing to pay that kind of money?

Mendota

16/10/08
MN
This is just my opinion, and I am sure there are experts who have different ideas, but that's a lot of money for something you aren't even sure you'll love. If you've never worn one or tried it on, how can you be 100% sure you'll even like it after a month or longer?

Regardless of whether you spend $100 or $1,000 it is still a rep. That's a ton of money to spend.

The good news with the inexpensive rep of this watch is that the low beat 21j movement is more accurate to gen than the ETA, due to the low beat rate that the vintage gens had. With the modern reps it's the other way around, so at least you have this going for you, which is nice. (Little Caddyshack reference for you there...)

I'd get the inexpensive one first, rock it for a little while, and then if you totally dig it you can sell it and go for the gusto. That's just what I would do.

discocain

13/3/12
This is just my opinion, and I am sure there are experts who have different ideas, but that's a lot of money for something you aren't even sure you'll love. If you've never worn one or tried it on, how can you be 100% sure you'll even like it after a month or longer?

Regardless of whether you spend $100 or $1,000 it is still a rep. That's a ton of money to spend.

The good news with the inexpensive rep of this watch is that the low beat 21j movement is more accurate to gen than the ETA, due to the low beat rate that the vintage gens had. With the modern reps it's the other way around, so at least you have this going for you, which is nice. (Little Caddyshack reference for you there...)

I'd get the inexpensive one first, rock it for a little while, and then if you totally dig it you can sell it and go for the gusto. That's just what I would do.

Thank you for your opinion, I think I will go with your advice. For the record, I had a gen 1655 on my wrist for about 30 seconds at a store in Munich, but the 12k pricetag was a little bit to heavy, as you can imagine.

Are there any modders here, who can help me out if the love keeps burnin?

watchguyusa1

I'm Pretty Popular
1/10/06
Boca Raton Florida USA
I've seen the phongs and I think they fall short too.
phongs is 1:1 to a gen , as a gen was loaned to phong for replication.. maybe its not the same version as you may be looking for as rolex made a few different versions service bezels etc. but his is without a doubt 1:1

greg325i

Renowned Member
29/4/10
OP, the Cartel version is the way to go. Get the one that has the Swiss < 25 T on the dial, and the marker towards the very edge of the dial.

If you get that one, the best 2 mods you can do are the Clarks tropic crystal and drill out the lug holes for gen-like springbars. You have a great rep then. I'll try to get around to posting pics of mine tomorrow. Remind me ;)

Mendota

16/10/08
MN
OP, the Cartel version is the way to go. Get the one that has the Swiss < 25 T on the dial, and the marker towards the very edge of the dial.

If you get that one, the best 2 mods you can do are the Clarks tropic crystal and drill out the lug holes for gen-like springbars. You have a great rep then. I'll try to get around to posting pics of mine tomorrow. Remind me ;)

Great advice. Yes, please post some pics. Consider this an early reminder. :)

greg325i

Renowned Member
29/4/10
Great advice. Yes, please post some pics. Consider this an early reminder. :)

Here you are. Basic Cartel 1655. Prior owner aged the dial. I drilled out the lug holes for gen-sized springbars, and installed a Clarks tropic crystal.

Pics012.jpg

Pics010.jpg

Pics021.jpg

Pics022.jpg

Pics009.jpg

Mendota

16/10/08
MN
Is that the rep crown? It looks spot on if yes. Your watch looks great!

greg325i

Renowned Member
29/4/10
Yes, that's the crown that came on it. This is the "orange" lume version from Trusty or PC. The prior owner aged it. I actually tried to buy this one on the sales forums, and missed it. So I bought one new (ie not aged). The guy who did get the aged one found it too small, and remembered me from the FS thread and offered it to me. I snapped it up because I liked the aging, and sold my new one, after I had done the same mods to it (crystal and lug holes).

Mendota

16/10/08
MN
How are the markings in between the lugs? Does it even have the right case reference #?

greg325i

Renowned Member
29/4/10
Yes, it even has the correct reference number. As per gen, it says "registered design " rather than "orig. Rolex design" like the newer models.

Mendota

16/10/08
MN
Awesome. That might be my next acquisition. :)

I really want a 1675...