• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Looking to purchase my first rep. Any of these stick out as good/bad choices?

mucked

Horology Curious
5/8/20
Hi All,

Here's my very New Members Area post regarding a first choice. Any of these an absolute no-go? Are any of these exceptional reps that I should consider? I've searched for many of these here on the boards but there's not too much info on some.

All were found on PureTime just for ease of organization, and ive included the whole list at the bottom of the post for those who dont care about images:

Submariner BLAKEN SINGLE RED PVD OXF 1:1 Best Edition Black Dial on PVD Bracelet A2836

rlx2020072402-01.jpg

Black Bay “Green” Exclusive to Harrods ZF 1:1 Best Edition on SS Bracelet A2824

tdr2018062601-01.jpg

Heritage Black Bay Shield Dark DLC ZF 1:1 Best Edition Black Bezel on Distressed Leather Strap A2824

tud2020080801-01.jpg

Heritage Black Bay Bronze XF 1:1 Best Edition on Brown Leather Strap A2824 V4 (Free Nato Strap)

tud2019022202-01.jpg

PAM1118 Luminor Marina “Luminous Trilogy” VSF 1:1 Best Edition on Black Sportech Strap P.9010 Clone

par2020080701-01.jpg

PAM960 Carbotech 42mm VSF Best Edition Black Dial Blue Markers on Rubber Strap P.9010 Clone

par2019101401-01.jpg

Yacht-Master 116655 RG GMF 316L Steel Black Dial on Black Rubber Strap A2836

rlx2020062810-01.jpg

Watches in this post:
  • Submariner BLAKEN SINGLE RED PVD OXF 1:1 Best Edition Black Dial on PVD Bracelet A2836
  • Black Bay “Green” Exclusive to Harrods ZF 1:1 Best Edition on SS Bracelet A2824
  • Heritage Black Bay Shield Dark DLC ZF 1:1 Best Edition Black Bezel on Distressed Leather Strap A2824
  • Heritage Black Bay Bronze XF 1:1 Best Edition on Brown Leather Strap A2824 V4 (Free Nato Strap)
  • PAM1118 Luminor Marina “Luminous Trilogy” VSF 1:1 Best Edition on Black Sportech Strap P.9010 Clone
  • PAM960 Carbotech 42mm VSF Best Edition Black Dial Blue Markers on Rubber Strap P.9010 Clone
  • Yacht-Master 116655 RG GMF 316L Steel Black Dial on Black Rubber Strap A2836

Last edited:

kavorca1

cosa nostra for life.
Supporter
12/5/20
SoCal
Try going to google and type in each watch and include RWI at the end and you should find some info on them

fuzzmex

2/9/17
Just pick the watch you like most, provided its size suits your wrist.
If you have the chance to do so, try them on at an AD before buying.
However good looking the watch is, it will be a nuisance if it doesn't wear nicely.

Reactions: Hilltop

mucked

Horology Curious
5/8/20
Try going to google and type in each watch and include RWI at the end and you should find some info on them

yeah i've done that; with the exception of the Harrod's BB and the Blaken Sub, cant find much. People are very happy with the Tudor but despite a fairly lengthy thread on the Sub, nobody has bought.

Just pick the watch you like most, provided its size suits your wrist.
If you have the chance to do so, try them on at an AD before buying.
However good looking the watch is, it will be a nuisance if it doesn't wear nicely.

Yeah, I might do just that. I guess my question is less about the aesthetics and more about movements/factories to be wary of.

kavorca1

cosa nostra for life.
Supporter
12/5/20
SoCal
Hopefully this helps scroll down to all the info on most factories.

Last edited:

Billnyethescienceguy

You're Saying I Can Sell?
25/1/20
CONUS
I don't believe any of these are "super reps", I just got a Pam 960....even if its not exactly "Gen spec" I like it. Keep in mind the best rep is the one you want to wear....if you want a rep and it's not a super rep who cares. If you wear it with confidence no one will say anything to you. 95% of people even know what you are wearing anyways.

If you are looking for an agreed upon list of the "best" or super reps, look here.

https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...sion/308081-consensual-list-super-reps-nwbigs

mucked

Horology Curious
5/8/20
I don't believe any of these are "super reps", I just got a Pam 960....even if its not exactly "Gen spec" I like it. Keep in mind the best rep is the one you want to wear....if you want a rep and it's not a super rep who cares. If you wear it with confidence no one will say anything to you. 95% of people even know what you are wearing anyways.

If you are looking for an agreed upon list of the "best" or super reps, look here.

https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...sion/308081-consensual-list-super-reps-nwbigs

I've been "wearing with confidence" for a while now. I've ordered my fair share of clothing through EMS haha. Thanks for the link.

Hopefully this helps scroll down to all the info on most factories.

Any idea what PVD, OXF, DLC, RG, GMF are?

kavorca1

cosa nostra for life.
Supporter
12/5/20
SoCal
Pvd,dlc are coating on the watch, rg is for rose gold, gmf I believe is a factory

Reactions: mucked

kavorca1

cosa nostra for life.
Supporter
12/5/20
SoCal
If your looking for a blacked pvd dlc rolex check out trusty time website for Rolex prohunter series, I have the 114060 military pro hunter
b72Ek.jpg

Last edited:

mucked

Horology Curious
5/8/20
If your looking for a blacked pvd dlc rolex check out trusty time website for Rolex prohunter series, I have the 114060 military pro hunter
b72Ek.jpg

Found it! This is really nice. Is there a good thread on the difference between the swiss and asian movements?

kavorca1

cosa nostra for life.
Supporter
12/5/20
SoCal
There is a section on "movements" but reality is it's rare to find a true "Swiss" movement now a days its usually refurbished. When possible Swiss is a better option than a clone movement. you could always buy a new Swiss 2836 movement and swap it out from the watch you buy. Also there are mods in here that will do it for you like bklm1234

mucked

Horology Curious
5/8/20
There is a section on "movements" but reality is it's rare to find a true "Swiss" movement now a days its usually refurbished. When possible Swiss is a better option than a clone movement. you could always buy a new Swiss 2836 movement and swap it out from the watch you buy. Also there are mods in here that will do it for you like bklm1234

So essentially, an option is to buy the cheaper rep with the asian movement, then buy the swiss movement separately, and have somebody swap them out for a fee.

Description of the swiss movement from above listing: "Nickle Plated Swiss Eta 2836, Bridges Modded to 3135 Appearance, Corte de Geneve Design Bridges, Automatic Movement, 25J, 28800bph,"

Last edited:

kavorca1

cosa nostra for life.
Supporter
12/5/20
SoCal
It's the one I bought and its running like a champ but many here advice is to save money and buy the Asian clone and when it stops working then buy a Swiss eta and swap it out. I took my watch to a local watchsmith to see if I needed mine serviced when I first got it and he said it was a refurbished Swiss eta but it was in Good condition so it's up to u

mucked

Horology Curious
5/8/20
It's the one I bought and its running like a champ but many here advice is to save money and buy the Asian clone and when it stops working then buy a Swiss eta and swap it out. I took my watch to a local watchsmith to see if I needed mine serviced when I first got it and he said it was a refurbished Swiss eta but it was in Good condition so it's up to u

Ok, yeah this might be the way to go. Saves me a crazy amount of money. Do you have a link to a thread where the pros and cons of this are discussed? Interesting topic.

kavorca1

cosa nostra for life.
Supporter
12/5/20
SoCal
That's a good read. I know this forum has a search engine but I find it easier to go to google, type In what I'm looking for and add RWI at the end and it will take me to posts of this forum. Lots a luck and welcome this very addicting hobby of ours

mucked

Horology Curious
5/8/20
That's a good read. I know this forum has a search engine but I find it easier to go to google, type In what I'm looking for and add RWI at the end and it will take me to posts of this forum. Lots a luck and welcome this very addicting hobby of ours

Yeah it was an interesting read, but its coming on 10 years old so I might just make a new post in that subforum to see what the current state of swiss movements in reps is.

Thanks for sticking around

Tribefan

15/11/19
Yeah it was an interesting read, but its coming on 10 years old so I might just make a new post in that subforum to see what the current state of swiss movements in reps is.

There are a lot of nuances here and you won't find a single thread that gives you all of the information, but many that give you most.

3 basic issues with asian clone movements:
1. Parts themselves can be inferior to swiss
2. The "factory" the movement is made in can be an issue.
3. The "factory" the movement is installed into the watch can be a problem.

Ordering a ETA movement from China already installed in a watch can eliminate all or none of those issues. A TD in China probably isn't going to know where that "swiss" movement came from, how it was assembled and how it was installed.

So buying an aftermarket ETA from a known source and having an actual watchmaker install the movement is always, always the best bet. That doesn't mean you cannot get a legit ETA movement installed problem free in China, but if there is a problem, what are you gonna do? Send emails back and forth to a dealer that already has your cash so they can tell you to send it back through China customs to get it fixed then returned to you through your country's customs 6 months later?

Solution6

Watchmaker
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Gold Patron
Certified
14/8/19
London, UK

Here's a bit of info from a TD's website regarding Swiss movements. To be safe, and if you really want a gen ETA or a Sellita, pick one up yourself and do the swap. But, a new, cleaned and oiled Asian 2836 should be able to last as long as the Swiss equivalent.

"Q : There is website saying that the movements of their replicas are genuine SWISS ETA. Are they for real?

A : There are only quite rare replicas made by replica factories are with genuine Swiss ETA. In fact, Most of high-end replica movements are a clone of it, called Asian ETA. You may come across a replica that features a genuine Swiss movement sometimes but even that be careful - often the movement will turn out to be a Chinese copy (which is fine if that's what you're paying for – in fact most of the Chinese movements are pretty much as good as the Swiss equivalent anyhow)."