• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Australian watchmaker, rep friendly!

Spaggettio

Horology Curious
13/12/13
It was 80 dollars. Running fine at the moment. Was it the Asian guy you a dealing with?

Luke Warm

30/5/14
How much did it cost you? He quoted me $250 to fix my balance wheel. On top of that, when i keep coming back to pick it up he keeps telling me he's forgotten it at his workshop for the last 3 weeks.
Sounds like he's become fond of it. He's probably out clubbing every night and wearing it to hit on chics :D

peterpl

Put Some Respect On My Name
24/7/11
How much did it cost you? He quoted me $250 to fix my balance wheel. On top of that, when i keep coming back to pick it up he keeps telling me he's forgotten it at his workshop for the last 3 weeks.

$250? Just buy a real ETA. What movement is it? Even if its a 7750 another 150 and you got a real ETA.

bronica

Advisor
Advisor
6/5/12
It was 80 dollars. Running fine at the moment. Was it the Asian guy you a dealing with?

Yeah, his name was Sam. I think he is the owner? I'm not fussed about the price, he might've though it was a real 7750 and charged for a real balance wheel. I declined the quote, the part that annoyed me was i had to keep coming in numerous occasions to pick it up and he kept forgetting it bring it in from his home.

Sounds like he's become fond of it. He's probably out clubbing every night and wearing it to hit on chics :D

Haha, my missus joked that he was trying to hold on to it as long as possible because he thought it was a genuine and wanted to get clone it. Little does he know..

$250? Just buy a real ETA. What movement is it? Even if its a 7750 another 150 and you got a real ETA.

It was an asian 7750. Nah, the watch arrived DOA so i sent it back to my TD

qickdraw

You're Saying I Can Sell?
15/7/14
Hi all,
I dropped my GMT II with ETA over at Brisbane Watch Repair Centre. The guy there was really good with it being a rep. Service, crystal swap, pressure test & new strap cost me $300.
They are at 42 Leonard St, Woolloongabba.

I've got a fever, and the only prescription - is more cowbell!

danchoi

Looking Around
13/4/13
To all Melbournians... have you guys tried Mister Minit in QV right outside Wollies and Big W? I heard he services reps also. A friend spoke to him about it when he dropped off his Gen vintage Omega for service (which he was very happy with, he even polished the case and replaced the glass for him). I'd try him but I've had all my pieces sent and serviced in the US last year so I wouldn't need to bring it in for awhile. IF you guys try/talk to him, let us know :)

Pauly404

I'm Pretty Popular
17/7/14
I'm also looking for a good replica friendly watch smith in Melbourne.... Any ideas where to start?

naidoo

Horology Curious
29/1/15
anyone here recommend me a watch repair place

i live in sydney west near blacktown and have a NOOB omega LMPO which seems to have a stem issue i think

basically what happens is when i wind in the stem its very tight and hard and sounds like its winding the watch as it goes in

and once its in the date wheel get stuck and doesnt tick over unless i loosen the crown or leave it open and let it pass midnight

i dont know if that made sence but the jist of it is most likely a stem issue that should be simple to fix instead of sending it back

Lt.Timewalker

Horology Curious
21/1/15
anyone here recommend me a watch repair place

i live in sydney west near blacktown and have a NOOB omega LMPO which seems to have a stem issue i think

basically what happens is when i wind in the stem its very tight and hard and sounds like its winding the watch as it goes in

and once its in the date wheel get stuck and doesnt tick over unless i loosen the crown or leave it open and let it pass midnight

i dont know if that made sence but the jist of it is most likely a stem issue that should be simple to fix instead of sending it back

Watch Express
Westpoint Shopping Centre Blacktown.
(02) 9671 7388

Let us know what it cost you and a review of their services if you can.

Lt.Timewalker

Horology Curious
21/1/15
Found another out west I will try this weekend and see if they will service my A7750

S & L Watch Centre is conveniently located in the heart of Parramatta:

Shop 14, Mayfair Plaza

272-276 Church Street, Parramatta NSW 2150

Phone (02)-9635-9779

peterpl

24/7/11
^ how did you go with the Parramatta one? Did they work on it and do a good job?

Lt.Timewalker

Horology Curious
21/1/15
"S&L" in Parramatta quoted me $350 so I left pretty quickly. To give them credit they look like a proper watch shop with a clean and tidy workspace, he even showed me some Gen Rolex, Omega and breitlings that he service for the same price which is quite reasonable. In addition the service includes timing and pressure testing and is guaranteed.

i ended up going to "Watch Express" in Blacktown and was quoted $95 so I left it with them right away, pick up is in one week.

peterpl

24/7/11
^ How your service go? Did they actually service the 7750 for $95 or just fix it?

Is the watch running good now?

Lt.Timewalker

Horology Curious
21/1/15
^ How your service go? Did they actually service the 7750 for $95 or just fix it?

Is the watch running good now?

This is still ongoing. When I left it with them 4 weeks ago they simply said come back to pick up same next week. 1 week later I went back and they said they need more time as the watch is now running 5 mins late per day. One week later I call them, they say its fixed, so the next weekend I go there to pick it up. I check the chrono functions an the problem where the chrono second hand does not reset at the 12 O'clock position is still there. Makes me wonder whether they took then hands of the dial at all. So they tell me they'll fix it and will call me back. They called me back 1 hr later saying the hand problem is fixed and is ready for pickup, I asked him for the timegrapher specs and he said he doesn't know and will have to put it in the machine and get back to me. On the morning of the next day I get an SMS saying its losing 3 mins per day and they need more time to fix it. Keep in mind the piece is virtually brand new and was getting -1 sec/day when the dealer sent me the QC pics.

As you can see it hasn't been exemplary and I'm not at all happy with their "service", whether its service at all is doubtful. Makes me reconsider because you get what you pay for and the guy in Parramatta that quoted me over $300 probably would have given me a hassle free job.

More updates here on RWI as it comes.

peterpl

24/7/11
^ Yeah i think these guys in Blacktown are only suited for small easy jobs. Like changing dials/hands/crown tube issues.

If you want services done or more complex works I'm not so sure.

I also called the Parramatta one. Im thinking of trying them out when I need to use a watchsmith next time.

Lt.Timewalker

Horology Curious
21/1/15
Finally have my watch back now, I've lost track of how many times I've had to go there. When I got there today I have him put it on the timegrapher and it was losing 70 secs/day, so I waited while he adjusted it to -7secs/day which I was happy with but then I spotted a large speck of dust on the crystal, so he told me to wait for 30 mins while he took that out. So went for a drink and came back and tested the watch to see if things are in order, lo and behold they chrono wasn't working, there was no click when I depress the pushers, thats when they realised they forgot to put the chrono parts in. So I had to wait for a another while for them to put that in, then FINALLY things seemed to be in an acceptable order.

I wound the watch a bit via the crown and it is a bit smoother than before. It came with 12 months warranty so they'll support me if it needs further adjustment in a few months time.

Not the best retail experience, but for $95 - I might have got what I deserved?

Oh btw Peterpl they mentioned if I know you! So you know them by a first name basis?

B&E355

9/2/15
I'm looking for somewhere to get my TC water/pressure tested? Anywhere highly regarded or should I just get the gear and give a go myself?

swdivad

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
22/3/06
When I lived in Melbourne, I used a super great watchmaker (and really nice guy too) in Dandenong... He's Swiss but grew up in Ethiopia. I used to spend lots of time just talking with him.

He's really interested and amazed about reps and bored about the battery changes he's inundated with all day.

I haven't been there for some years now, so not sure if he's retired or not, but his business is:

Archie's Watch & Clock Repairs
44 Walker Street, Dandenong VIC
9793-6688
Map: https://goo.gl/maps/wym3M

Please tell him David (the American) sent you and give him my regards!

mjmj

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Supporter
3/11/09
In Perth there's a guy at the canningvale markets on Sundays by the name of Kong. He has a watch stand and will repair and service reps and gens at his home and generally takes a week. I've used him for a few years and have been satisfied overall. Kong watch repairs.