Announcement

Collapse

Please Consider Supporting RWI Today!

We depend on Supporter & Patron subscriptions to pay the bills. Please consider supporting RWI TODAY, CLICK HERE for info on how to subscribe.
See more
See less

New Guy's intro and first 116610 Franken build thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome and keep up the learning with passion.

Subscribed !

Comment

Thanks and agreed! Anything worth doing is worth doing with passion! That is the cheapest part!

Comment

I have the exact same problem with the gen 7030 crown tube on my franken Noob V9. The tube refuses to screw all the way in! Is it the same situation for you?

I see many people using gen 7030 tube for franken SubC projects. I wonder how they do it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

> New Gen Complete Bezel assembly w/insert, gen ball springs and lock - $1522.89

Oh wow! it is now 1522 for the bezel set?
          What's your opinion the main difference between Noob vs. Gen bezel/insert? Was it worth it?
          I'm curious how does the black colour compare between the two?
          Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by nzhoward View Post
            I have the exact same problem with the gen 7030 crown tube on my franken Noob V9. The tube refuses to screw all the way in! Is it the same situation for you?

I see many people using gen 7030 tube for franken SubC projects. I wonder how they do it?

It was indeed the 7030 and I agree I am not sure how it gets flush without a little more meat on the case and milling machine to do the correct countersink. I got it very close and like I said I may try to shave some off of the top of the tube.

Comment

Originally posted by vkhaa View Post
              > New Gen Complete Bezel assembly w/insert, gen ball springs and lock - $1522.89

Oh wow! it is now 1522 for the bezel set?
              What's your opinion the main difference between Noob vs. Gen bezel/insert? Was it worth it?
              I'm curious how does the black colour compare between the two?
              Thank you!
              The difference in the bezel is noticeable with the naked eye. I need to take a closer look at the blacks but where it really tells is the platinum plating. When you put them side by side and on the case you can really see the difference and to me it was worth it to change those parts to gen. The way I figured it was any part that was touched or seen I would try to replace with the gen part. The case and bracelet being the exception.
              Last edited by alfonzo; 11-09-19, 20:26.

Comment

Here we go. It is what it is. I turned the crown so that it would be upright just for the pic. After the epoxy the crown coronet was about a half a turn form being upright. Only other option is the shave.

Comment

Alright on to something a bit less frustrating. I got the seating for date indicator and date disc installed and works like a rolex. Snappy, Snappy, Snappy! I think this is the only way to do it.

Next stop the dial and hands. The hands have me tense and I am contemplating using the noobs first since I may want to add a few more gen parts to the movement and would rather only put the hands on once if possible.

Last edited by alfonzo; 11-09-19, 03:48.

Comment

Coming along but time will tell...

Comment

SO I think tonight I am going to attempt to install the crystal and bezel. The Bezel is complete and I do not want to screw that up.

This question is for any of the modder's out there that are reading this.

What is the best method for installing the crystal with the bezel ring not using the bezel as a push point? In other words is there specific tool or modified tool that you use to seat the bezel ring that goes on the crystal?

I have a crystal press but I am not sure how to get a good purchase on the ring to seat it.
                      Last edited by alfonzo; 11-09-19, 19:23.

Comment

Top post, hat’s off to you. Here’s how I’ve installed crystals onto ARF and Noob cases: Make sure you have first found a hard plastic cylinder that is roughly the same size diameter as the retaining ring but bigger than the gasket. I was lucky enough to find mine at a hardware store (it’s a garden hose coupler). Put the crystal in the gasket then the combo onto the case. Use a press and regular die to get the retainer most of the way down. I’ve modified a flat plastic press die to accommodate the crystal’s cyclops so that in this step I can get the retainer flush with the top of the crystal. Take your plastic cylinder and press the rest by hand. If it’s too tight to slide perfectly straight, I’ve found success in applying pressure on different sides of the retainer by tilting the cylinder which moves it down incrementally in somewhat of a spiral then finally making it parallel to the rehaut at the bottom where the retainer touches the case. Somebody here probably knows a better way but.. thought I’d share. Good luck!

Comment

Perfect that is just what I was looking for and I will do that very thing tomorrow. Thanks so much!

Comment

Originally posted by alfonzo View Post
                            SO I think tonight I am going to attempt to install the crystal and bezel. The Bezel is complete and I do not want to screw that up.

This question is for any of the modder's out there that are reading this.

What is the best method for installing the crystal with the bezel ring not using the bezel as a push point? In other words is there specific tool or modified tool that you use to seat the bezel ring that goes on the crystal?

I have a crystal press but I am not sure how to get a good purchase on the ring to seat it.
                            I actually used the original Noob bezel ring to push the gen bezel ring on. It actually works pretty well. Just align the crystal, crystal gasket, and gen bezel ring. Then slide the Noob bezel ring on top of the gen bezel ring. It should stick out high enough above the crystal for you to use a crystal pusher to push everything on!

Comment

Also a good idea and I contemplated that but did not want to get it stuck or damage it. I will give it a try as well. Thanks for the confirmation of success!

Comment

GL!
                                my super franken says hi!

Comment

Working...
                                X