• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My sub is leaking from Crystal

rolexppapfan

Renowned Member
17/11/18
ITALY
All stock from rep factory.

All I did when the watches arrived was take out movement, use silicon on caseback gasket and the crown's internal one ( not the one on the tube)
Then remove the bezel+insert from both watches, use the crystal press to lightly press the crystal whilst still installed.
The first time, without pressing the crystal, they didn't pass 30m.
After pressing the crystal, they passed 85m and I'm sure they would have passed even more.

It's incredible as using the crystal press I used very very very little force, and that made a lot of difference in terms of WR.

On the other hand, I had a BP day date 40 that when it arrived, I just greased the caseback gasket and it did 100m ( as much as the gen is certified to ).
In that case, I didn't test further as I didn't have the equipment to do more than 100m.

So this underlines the importance of having reps WR tested. A noob submariner ( gen is 300m WR) didn't pass 30m, whilst a day date ( gen 100m ) did the same as the gen

well rolex dose not use this type of water testing with air they use different machines that are much more different if we take a BP DD40 ( tested by you to 100) take it to about 30m depth in the ocean the crystal will pop out but if we take a gen the watch will resist more then 100m down in the ocean

lrnz

27/1/17
EU
well rolex dose not use this type of water testing with air they use different machines that are much more different if we take a BP DD40 ( tested by you to 100) take it to about 30m depth in the ocean the crystal will pop out but if we take a gen the watch will resist more then 100m down in the ocean

I actually do WET tests as Rolex does.

The only difference between my machines and theirs is that I can test up to 120m as thats where my machine maxes out, unlike them that can test watches up to much more ( e.g. , seadweller), as they use digital and automated instrumentation.

My 100m of WR are the same as their 100m

Reactions: Maron

lrnz

27/1/17
EU
'take it to about 30m depth in the ocean the crystal will pop out but if we take a gen the watch will resist more then 100m down in the ocean'

that doesn't have anything to do with my type of tests, that's because the gen, despite being certified to 100, is actually capable of more, but Rolex will limit themselves as of course for them its better to state 100m and have for example 50m more of margin than stating 150m of WR and at 151 the crystal pops out.

TheKnight

16/11/18
Tested and sealed both my noob V9 and ARF cases and they passed 133 ft or .4 mpa....now I’m pretty confident to swim to jump into the pools or beaches with these guys.

How did you seal your crystal? take it out and re seat it ? or buy new crystal and gaskets??? is that the 6atm water tester?

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS

I'm just curious if you have any factual basis for making statements like that? I've owned and tested dozens of watches, both replicas and genuine. If a watch passes a 3 ATM test, it'll survive submursion to the pressure of 90 feet of water, regardless of the source of the tester or whether the watch is made in Switzerland or China. Are you familiar with the different types of testers, and how to interpret the results? Suffice it to say that I swim with my watches, replica as well as genuine,on almost a daily basis. If you've had a watch where the crystal blew out after being submerged to 30 feet, then there is absolutely no way it successfully passed a pressure resistance testing. the reason the crystal will blowout is because the pressure inside the watch was greater than the pressure surrounding the exterior of the watch, this scenario would occur as you begin to ascend towards the end of the dive. If the crystal came out while you were at depth, that's doubtful it was seated correctly to begin with. Again this has nothing to do with the site of manufacture, but it's the results of any number of possible failures, some common ones include an an incorrect size gasket was used, there was imperfections in the machining of the watch case, or the crystal is not pressed properly. It's good to learn and this is why we are here, but it's not good to disseminate incorrect information.

Vvvlllooo

I'm Pretty Popular
13/6/15
How did you seal your crystal? take it out and re seat it ? or buy new crystal and gaskets??? is that the 6atm water tester?

I had replace the gaskets with Rolex gaskets. I also used uv crystal glue to fill in any gaps or small tolerance inconsistencies that the chinese cases had. Simply used the uv glue on the bottom area of the gasket, meets metal, and the top, where it’s holds the crystal. It is the cheap tester from eBay but does the job.

Vvvlllooo

I'm Pretty Popular
13/6/15
I'm just curious if you have any factual basis for making statements like that? I've owned and tested dozens of watches, both replicas and genuine. If a watch passes a 3 ATM test, it'll survive submursion to the pressure of 90 feet of water, regardless of the source of the tester or whether the watch is made in Switzerland or China. Are you familiar with the different types of testers, and how to interpret the results? Suffice it to say that I swim with my watches, replica as well as genuine,on almost a daily basis. If you've had a watch where the crystal blew out after being submerged to 30 feet, then there is absolutely no way it successfully passed a pressure resistance testing. the reason the crystal will blowout is because the pressure inside the watch was greater than the pressure surrounding the exterior of the watch, this scenario would occur as you begin to ascend towards the end of the dive. If the crystal came out while you were at depth, that's doubtful it was seated correctly to begin with. Again this has nothing to do with the site of manufacture, but it's the results of any number of possible failures, some common ones include an an incorrect size gasket was used, there was imperfections in the machining of the watch case, or the crystal is not pressed properly. It's good to learn and this is why we are here, but it's not good to disseminate incorrect information.

This information is correct from RX4time. My crystal blew out as I was relieving the pressure. This happened to my noob V9 when I had tested it. This was because I had swapped my crystal and the gasket was incorrect for the size. Hence I had swapped it for a gen Rolex gasket and then used u v resin crystal glu to fill in any imperfections. When I had done this, it finally passed withou any issues.

My my first test was what I had stated. My second test was the Rolex gasket only. The crystal did not blow out but it had leaked. I could see water getting inside my watch. Not much but enough to damage your watch.

my last test was with the u v crystal resin. Passed with flying colors.

rolexppapfan

Renowned Member
17/11/18
ITALY

the difference is that you test it in a small bowl but you swim in the large ocean .............. its a big difference

lrnz

27/1/17
EU
the difference is that you test it in a small bowl but you swim in the large ocean .............. its a big difference

You could test it in whatever size bowl you want, if there's 100ft of pressure in that, 100ft of pressure is still 100ft even if the bowl is as large as a shoe or as large as a car ( of course you will need much more force to bring the pressure to that much of a big container).
That's basic physics.

A 100m test, DOESNT mean that you can go 99m under the water, it means that the watch is capable of resisting a STATIC pressure of that many bar/psi/atm.

When you're swimming, you're constantly moving, there are variations of temperature, etc. That makes the pressure EXTREMELY dinamic.
That is exacly why its recommended to bring to the sea watches that are capable of at least passing a 6 atm test.

Still, this is not what you mentioned in the first post, where you stated that my tests are different than Rolex ones. And on this point, it's simply wrong. A watch tested by me at 60m, will be able to do 60m on ANY 'Rolex testing' machines, as you say.

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS

Please educate me on how there is any difference between the volume of water the watch is immersed in when the pressure is equal? I would love you to offer an explanation of the difference between a wet and dry pressure test. Which one can you use to localize a leak? What is static vs dynamic pressure and how would this affect real life performance vs pressure vessel testing. You are offering nothing of substance to the discussion. Next you'll make some moronic statement like rep pressure is different then gen pressure. Please don't post if you don't know what you are talking about.. Read and learn so you can offer something intelligible to the discussion thread. I'm actually trying to help someone here.

theclaw25

Known Member
3/3/16
Same problem here. I ruined the gasket trying to tight the crystal to making pressure over it, because I was crazy watching my watch with 1.5mm of the crystal over the bezel. So after that, the bezel was pressured or tight over the case to strong i can't rotate the bezel. So I open the watch and make pressure inside the Crystal back for releases a little bit over bezel. Photos coming soon. For now I will need a new gasket. Mates I don't know what measure is the gasket for a Rolex Sea Dweller ARF 44mm 904?
God Damn.....any mates here can help me.....??

Last edited: