Announcement

Collapse

Please Consider Supporting RWI Today!

We depend on Supporter & Patron subscriptions to pay the bills. Please consider supporting RWI TODAY, CLICK HERE for info on how to subscribe.
See more
See less

How I built my Franken Submariner 16610 JF

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #76
    mega12 your excellent post has been trully inspirational. I just bought all the parts at Startime to build a 16610 lug holes case. All my experience was with a Cartel case, so I must say that the build quality of the ST is superb!

    Click image for larger version

Name:	33f2536d2bb2109f04c09a2af7a82b68-copia-copia-copia.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	7232196

    Comment


      #77
      Dino2018 great to see! Did you manage to buy the 703 crown - which might not be a truly 703 by the way

      Which bezel assembly are you using?

      Comment


        #78
        Originally posted by mega12 View Post

        Decide on your own... Here we go.
        mega12 ... I really like your topic and subscribed to

        Nice pics ... though some comparison pics of the crowns in the exact same position and taken from the same view side would have been more significant.

        I would say that, apart from the cheapest crowns that are easily pointed out, one of the differences between a Gen and most of Rep crowns is the case-side chamfer (the one that sits close to the case when the crown is on).
        The edges of the case-side chamfer on a Gen crown (and TC too IMO) looks more "sharpened" and the angle seems different.
        If you look closely to the Gen and TC crowns the chamfer is sharp while on the JF crown it is slightly rounded.

        On my last build I have deeply reworked the case-side chamfer of the crown and, IMHO, that little modd deeply modify the look at first sight (though the Rep crown still can be identified from close inspection).
        Here's a pic of the reworked crown on my 5500 build.



        I did the same on my son's 16800 Comex build (too bad I have no pics yet) and the last person who saw it said "the Gen crown changes everything".
        1 - A/6538 Burford Milsub
        2 - sorry ... that build is classified
        3 - 16800 Comex Rolex - dated 1984
        4 - Heavily modded 16610 cheapie

        Comment


          #79
          Originally posted by mega12 View Post
          Dino2018 great to see! Did you manage to buy the 703 crown - which might not be a truly 703 by the way

          Which bezel assembly are you using?
          Hello mega12 ! the bezel assembly, and in fact all the parts are supplied by ST. Where there were option to a "Swiss superior" quality part I toke it! It was not cheap, as including shipping and taxes it went well over the 400 US, but the fit and finish is beautiful.

          For the crown I'm awaiting for the Green, and being gen is not so important for me if 703 or 704 as the price is really good. I have to save somewhere!

          I bought from Mary a SH3135 movm't and I will collect some gen and Swiss parts and rebuild it. It will be my first try at dissassembling a movement but is an exciting challenge!

          Comment


            #80
            manodeoro, you are right, this is indeed different. But as long as you don’t know this, you won’t notice it

            Dino2018, cool. Personally I love ST case, although CGs are bit short. Only ST bezel assembly I would replace. But just my personal opinion.
            I might have a 3135-145 autowind module leftover.

            Comment


              #81
              Originally posted by mega12 View Post
              manodeoro, you are right, this is indeed different. But as long as you don’t know this, you won’t notice it

              Dino2018, cool. Personally I love ST case, although CGs are bit short. Only ST bezel assembly I would replace. But just my personal opinion.
              I might have a 3135-145 autowind module leftover.
              You're right too ... one thing I'm certain is that I would not go Gen for the crown unless it is a really cheap one.
              The chamfering on the case-side really changes everything and you get a really genlike look if you don't spend too much time looking at the crown.

              About ST case the problem is to get one, when you're EU based (Im base in France) and you're not a professional watchmaker ... too bad
              1 - A/6538 Burford Milsub
              2 - sorry ... that build is classified
              3 - 16800 Comex Rolex - dated 1984
              4 - Heavily modded 16610 cheapie

              Comment


                #82
                I built seikos and had fun. but never a rep. problem is the parts are hard to find on the reps. And quality is an issue. There are tons of seiko aftermarket parts that many companies make of high quality.

                I wanna try this but am scared of the ETA movements and retain clip on the bezel. i dont understand how it works. on the seikos its just pop off and theres a click spring and gasket. so simple.

                to be clear my idea was to buy a Sub case only and put a Gen ETA 2836-2 in side with a nice rolex dial and sapphire and be done with it.

                Comment


                  #83
                  Originally posted by fallingtitan View Post
                  I built seikos and had fun. but never a rep. problem is the parts are hard to find on the reps. And quality is an issue. There are tons of seiko aftermarket parts that many companies make of high quality.

                  I wanna try this but am scared of the ETA movements and retain clip on the bezel. i dont understand how it works. on the seikos its just pop off and theres a click spring and gasket. so simple.

                  to be clear my idea was to buy a Sub case only and put a Gen ETA 2836-2 in side with a nice rolex dial and sapphire and be done with it.
                  Hello! If you surf this fórum for a while, looking for information, you will learn that building a Rolex has not to be more complex than a Seiko, and that there is a lot of good sources of quality parts - at a price!

                  Comment


                    #84
                    Originally posted by Dino2018 View Post

                    Hello! If you surf this fórum for a while, looking for information, you will learn that building a Rolex has not to be more complex than a Seiko, and that there is a lot of good sources of quality parts - at a price!
                    ... if my friend dino says that, it is the damn truth! No bull, you are right bro. Amazing how one can create a great watch. I have had few from the factories and mine were more waterresistant, better aligned and the tolerances were smaller. If you put some effort, you can create miracles!

                    ps: Viva los Dinos!


                    Comment


                      #85
                      Originally posted by Jaqueslepro View Post

                      ... if my friend dino says that, it is the damn truth! No bull, you are right bro. Amazing how one can create a great watch. I have had few from the factories and mine were more waterresistant, better aligned and the tolerances were smaller. If you put some effort, you can create miracles!

                      ps: Viva los Dinos!

                      LOL thank you very much my friend, I tried to learn from you all! Your builds are amazing and inspirational. My 16610 tritium dial build is going slow because of the cost of the parts, but I promise to do my best effort and I will share here the experience of course.

                      Edit: I forgot to write "Vive le Pro!"

                      Comment


                        #86
                        Originally posted by Dino2018 View Post

                        LOL thank you very much my friend, I tried to learn from you all! Your builds are amazing and inspirational. My 16610 tritium dial build is going slow because of the cost of the parts, but I promise to do my best effort and I will share here the experience of course.

                        Edit: I forgot to write "Vive le Pro!"
                        Have a Tritium 16613 dial leftover

                        Comment


                          #87
                          Originally posted by mega12 View Post

                          Have a Tritium 16613 dial leftover
                          Wow! It would be beautiful but it will involve buying a gold bezel and Crown LOL more expenses!!!!! This hobby is much fun but I fear the day I will pass away and my widow will sell the watches for what I told her they cost me!!!!

                          Comment


                            #88
                            Originally posted by Dino2018 View Post

                            Wow! It would be beautiful but it will involve buying a gold bezel and Crown LOL more expenses!!!!! This hobby is much fun but I fear the day I will pass away and my widow will sell the watches for what I told her they cost me!!!!
                            Haha - You are right
                            Crown I can get for reasonable prices.
                            Bezel you should probably go for a ST then

                            Comment


                              #89
                              Yes the ST gold bezel is 495 USD mega12 that is reasonably priced compared to a gen. The 16613 is definitely in my "next one" list as the blue-purple reflections of that dial is amazing.

                              Comment


                                #90
                                Actually, I wanted to start the same project with RLX 16613, but according to your description I'm not so sure !!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X