Announcement

Collapse

Please Consider Supporting RWI Today!

We depend on Supporter & Patron subscriptions to pay the bills. Please consider supporting RWI TODAY, CLICK HERE for info on how to subscribe.
See more
See less

How I built my Franken Submariner 16610 JF

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mega12 your excellent post has been trully inspirational. I just bought all the parts at Startime to build a 16610 lug holes case. All my experience was with a Cartel case, so I must say that the build quality of the ST is superb!

Click image for larger version

Name:	33f2536d2bb2109f04c09a2af7a82b68-copia-copia-copia.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	7232196

Comment

Dino2018 great to see! Did you manage to buy the 703 crown - which might not be a truly 703 by the way

Which bezel assembly are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by mega12 View Post

Decide on your own... Here we go.
        mega12 ... I really like your topic and subscribed to

Nice pics ... though some comparison pics of the crowns in the exact same position and taken from the same view side would have been more significant.

I would say that, apart from the cheapest crowns that are easily pointed out, one of the differences between a Gen and most of Rep crowns is the case-side chamfer (the one that sits close to the case when the crown is on).
        The edges of the case-side chamfer on a Gen crown (and TC too IMO) looks more "sharpened" and the angle seems different.
        If you look closely to the Gen and TC crowns the chamfer is sharp while on the JF crown it is slightly rounded.

On my last build I have deeply reworked the case-side chamfer of the crown and, IMHO, that little modd deeply modify the look at first sight (though the Rep crown still can be identified from close inspection).
        Here's a pic of the reworked crown on my 5500 build.

I did the same on my son's 16800 Comex build (too bad I have no pics yet) and the last person who saw it said "the Gen crown changes everything".
        1 - A/6538 Burford Milsub
        2 - sorry ... that build is classified

3 - 16800 Comex Rolex - dated 1984
        4 - Heavily modded 16610 cheapie

Comment

Dino2018 great to see! Did you manage to buy the 703 crown - which might not be a truly 703 by the way

Which bezel assembly are you using?
          Hello mega12 ! the bezel assembly, and in fact all the parts are supplied by ST. Where there were option to a "Swiss superior" quality part I toke it! It was not cheap, as including shipping and taxes it went well over the 400 US, but the fit and finish is beautiful.

For the crown I'm awaiting for the Green, and being gen is not so important for me if 703 or 704 as the price is really good. I have to save somewhere!

I bought from Mary a SH3135 movm't and I will collect some gen and Swiss parts and rebuild it. It will be my first try at dissassembling a movement but is an exciting challenge!

Comment

manodeoro, you are right, this is indeed different. But as long as you don’t know this, you won’t notice it

Dino2018, cool. Personally I love ST case, although CGs are bit short. Only ST bezel assembly I would replace. But just my personal opinion.
            I might have a 3135-145 autowind module leftover.

Comment

manodeoro, you are right, this is indeed different. But as long as you don’t know this, you won’t notice it

Dino2018, cool. Personally I love ST case, although CGs are bit short. Only ST bezel assembly I would replace. But just my personal opinion.
              I might have a 3135-145 autowind module leftover.
              You're right too ... one thing I'm certain is that I would not go Gen for the crown unless it is a really cheap one.
              The chamfering on the case-side really changes everything and you get a really genlike look if you don't spend too much time looking at the crown.

About ST case the problem is to get one, when you're EU based (Im base in France) and you're not a professional watchmaker ... too bad
              1 - A/6538 Burford Milsub
              2 - sorry ... that build is classified

3 - 16800 Comex Rolex - dated 1984
              4 - Heavily modded 16610 cheapie

Comment

Working...
              X