• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The Best Base Panerai reps vs gens- Davidsen does it again!

Aquaracer

5/1/07
For those who have asked here's a lot of info and pictures on two of Davidsens best offerings. I've been asked to compare Davidsen's reps to some of my gen watches, and I think the results are pretty surprising!

First a caveat- These are replicas- EVERYTHING is wrong on them- if you look. Every little teeny detail is a little off. If you're a jeweler, a watch reseller or a replica collector- you'll know it's a rep. For the rest of the world, they look real. I am not interested in forging watches or selling reps as genuine watches- I'm not a counterfeiter. I love my gens- I also love the fact that for the price of a decent strap I can buy an entire watch that really is a PERFECT copy of the real Panerai. By perfect I mean in overall apearance and functionality- not at the microscopic level.

So if you're a member of the "Panerai Police"- save it... I know what's wrong with these.

What's Right?? Well frankly, in my opinion, a well modded replica Panerai is the BEST rep out there. Not because the font is exactly the same or because the crystal height is exactly the same- it's because it's the SAME WATCH. Stainless case, saphire crystal, ETA 6497 movement, Superlume dial. The only real difference is Richemont doesn't see a dime. Are there tells?? Yeah dozens. The biggest tell that anybody can see from across the room is the AR- Panerai AR is slightly yellow colored- ALL rep AR is blue or purple- A little sunlight glints off your watch- BUSTED.

That said I can say that I have owned many Davidsens and had a chance to wear them on and off with the 3 or 4 genuine Panerai watches I have owned during that period. While I can spot the genuine watch easily, not a day goes by when I look at my wrist and for a moment forget whether I have a gen or rep on. They are THAT good. Davidsens crown and crown tube mean that the watches wind smoother with a neat little 'snick-snick" similar to the gen. The Davidsen sandwhich dials are made of the same textured material as the gen- David's is thinner true, but gen sandwhich dials do vary in thickness. Regular reps use a plastic-like dial, which looks nothing like the gen. A good repairman can match it almost exactly, but most rep dials are too thick- so I guess pick your poison. Since Davidsen is assembling these from factory fresh parts- many of the little smudges and nicks you get form modding a watch yourself are not present- Sometimes even a very good watchmaker can't help but leave some telltale marks- Most of my Davidsens have arrived modded and spotless.

David's movements usually run well- He says he services them and I think that's probably accurate. So far every DSN watch has been a scary accurate timekeeper. I've bought a bunch and sold off a few, and will be back for more shortly. Yes you can definitely produce a great watch, probably a superior watch if you buy a good rep with a Swiss movement and have one of the skilled watch makers here mod the watch. I think that process will take longer and might cost the same or even more. It's a matter of preference. Most of the "criticism" of Panerai's here seems to be based off of internet searches. Comparing low res pictures and coming up with conclusion. "That dial is terrible"- "How can he sell that!". I've seen gens, I own gens. I own reps. These watches feel like gens, they look like gens, they behave like gens. That's good enough for me.

Here's my latest DSN wacth- the Base 112

23fz4.jpg

Yeah I know the font is a little off- But look at that Crown Guard and Crown!! Best I've seen. The CG is brushedjust like the gen- the center pin almost flush and polished- crown really nice and thick and well done- Here it is compared to a gen 111- Gen is on the left

05hc6.jpg

Here's the back

17ri0.jpg

The 112 Sandwhich dial is thin, but well done and the same texture and "feel" as the gen- That'sa gen 210H on the right, a little bit deeper

07vb1.jpg

Here's the rep 112 dial up close

11uw5.jpg

09oq9.jpg

The Davidsen case is practically 1:1 to the gen, and the crownguard is the best I've seen from David- On mine the flip lever is a little undersized for the CG as you can see. Rep on top-

04vw4.jpg

But boy it's tough to tell sometimes-

02pg5.jpg

The other base that is a wonderful rep is the 210H- here on my super thick Savage stitchless-

19zb6.jpg

Side by side with the gen the rep is practically spot-on- Obviously slight differences in fonts and stuff- But in the hand they seem identical.

10ek5.jpg

15ql0.jpg

12aa9.jpg

Rep crown is a little smaller but case seems right on the money. David gives you a longer crown tube and thread- so I do not anticipate issues with the threads stripping, as happened on my rep 183G in 10 days!

13ib3.jpg

Lume, of course- is positively awesome on both gen and rep. The painted dial of my 111G does glow a touch brighter than the sandwhich dials, but still pretty great on all four.

14mn1.jpg

The 210 is SOO underrated- Looks great on a big thick Savage-

21vm8.jpg

Elegant and masculine on a GEF La Spezia

20ye0.jpg

So bottom line is Davidsen is capable of producing tremendous replicas- ready to wear right out of the box. He's pain in the ass to pay, and you run about a 50% chance that the watch will arrive with the wrong parts or the wrong crown etc.- BUT- he's honest, he's fast, and he's the only source for that direct pipeline to rare Panerais and really authentic Panerai reps. Walk into a watchshop with this babay on your wrist- Who's gonna call you out???

22xo1.jpg

lumpyone

7/1/07
very nice.
fantastic review
great side by sides. but.... i gotta ask. if you have a gen 210 why the rep?
thanx
l1

MK08

Renowned Member
3/4/07
The watches are awesome Davidsen is the man! And also that is a whipping sweet strap collection you've got there. Very nice.

moggio

I'm Pretty Popular
25/3/06
yes ..why the rep if you have 2 gens in hand that is awesome...you are a paneristi...why a repristi ? LOL

great watch and review :)

Aquaracer

5/1/07
Why reps when you have gens??Cause it's friggin cool- don't you think??

Look- I bought then gens right- and with Panerai's price increase I think I made a wise investment.

And it's easier than changing straps- I grab a different watch every morning and don't even realize if it's gen or rep til I'm at work-

The fact that the reps ARE the same basic watch is what makes me rethink all of my gens- why I let myself be conveinced that they were ever worth the money I paid.

Now I'm going to have David make me some unbranded fantasy watches- just for fun

D

d4m.test

"L Swiss Made L" doesn't look that bad even it's the wrong font. He fixed it but he didn't fix it. I just don't get it. But it's so much better than before when it's almost touching "6" and the indices are now farther from the rehaut. I need to get it.

-bk

pwrslider

Renowned Member
4/3/07
just when I thought it was safe to look at some photos..........

damn you....now I'm going to have to get a Radiomir........

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

thehorse

Renowned Member
25/4/06
Asia
Excellent review. I think its great to look at the big picture rather than specific font size, spacing etc.

Thank you for this.

mishka

Known Member
14/11/06
Aquaracer Thank you for this one!!!!

I love the base models and your side by side comparison are just great.

Thank you so much for the review!

All the best,
Mishka

Aquaracer

5/1/07
pwrslider said:
just when I thought it was safe to look at some photos..........

damn you....now I'm going to have to get a Radiomir........

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Yeah those Rads are funny- They look REALLy old fashioned in pictures- They look really feminine when you hold them in your hand- yet they totally transform when you change straps- I have a gen 183 on a crazy Swiss WWII Ammo strap that looks really chunky- yet I use my 210H on that black GEF for formal affairs. I'm gonna have David make me a PVD 210 and have Savage make me a black stitchless- that should look deadly.

Secondbaseman12

Known Member
27/6/06
wow that was a great review.........Just got my 177 from davidsan. Already saving for my next one.

Keep on posting like this its a blast to read

Niels

time_bandit

Known Member
30/10/06
So if you're a member of the "Panerai Police"- save it... I know what's wrong with these.

Dude, you got balls... And I mean that in the most positive way. :D
Good to see someone enjoy something for what it is - an incredible piece of craftsmanship. :wink:
Enjoy your watches - I certainly enjoyed your post!

Aquaracer

5/1/07
time_bandit said:

Dude, you got balls... And I mean that in the most positive way. :D
Good to see someone enjoy something for what it is - an incredible piece of craftsmanship. :wink:
Enjoy your watches - I certainly enjoyed your post!

I don't know about that-

It's just that for ME and me alone- I don't care for Rolexes. Never did. And there are a lot of Rolex guys here whose hobby is crafting the perfect Rolex rep. I get that- seems fun, just not what I'm into. So I see all of the "Rolex-Think" creping into every other rep and i don't get it. Let folks enjoy these damned things. We all have Google- We all can look at the pictures. Where's Waldo is not a game I want to play on every $200 wristwatch.

Again- just my own opinions here- your mileage may vary.

road rash

20/12/06
Great post. Thank you.
I am so glad to see Dvdsn now has a 112. Mine is on order :D

azgjav

I'm Pretty Popular
17/3/06
hello fellow basehead! great post!! well done on the side by sides. i love ur approach of reviewing a rep as a WATCH instead of a replica of the real deal, that's the way we shld all go. :) i've owned 2 dsn bases (201a and 009) and they have awesome wrist presence.

1 think i've found tho..my dsn cases do not have any strap clearance on the back for the watch to accept thick straps. that can be problem when the lug end of thick straps are destroyed w the repetitive rubbing of it on the sharp case. does urs have the same problem?

Aquaracer

5/1/07
azgjav said:
hello fellow basehead! great post!! well done on the side by sides. i love ur approach of reviewing a rep as a WATCH instead of a replica of the real deal, that's the way we shld all go. :) i've owned 2 dsn bases (201a and 009) and they have awesome wrist presence.

1 think i've found tho..my dsn cases do not have any strap clearance on the back for the watch to accept thick straps. that can be problem when the lug end of thick straps are destroyed w the repetitive rubbing of it on the sharp case. does urs have the same problem?

No on the 44mm watches the case is basically the same rep case- I do not see a difference in the strap mounting locations- there are some small differences particularly the bezel area around the crystal is more defined on the Davidsens. On the Rads he does seem to use shorter hoops than the gen- and that can be a little close- and on the Fiddy case those screw bars are quite close-
But I seem to be able to fit big straps-

Hell if that Savage strap will fit ANY strap will!

soysauce8

26/4/07
thanks for the great review for us newbie out there, def know where I am getting my first Pam rep from.