• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New Ginault Ocean Rover II - Details and Specs

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
HOW much?!

All the parts from a rep, but at three times the price and with a non-aspirational dial print.

I’m out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: a5539925

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
HOW much?!

All the parts from a rep, but at three times the price and with a non-aspirational dial print.

I’m out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To be honest, they make sense in the secondary market for around $800 or so. Think about them as a TC v8 extreme, they are really good and that glidelock clasp is miles above any other rep bracelet and clasp (and I’ve had three ARFs myself).

At retail price? Probably not. I was on the preorder list for their ceramic but I ended up opting out because I’m happy with my aluminium insert one. Somehow the ceramic looks awkward on a five digit case. I feel it loses the humble tool watch feeling. Still great watches these Ginault, though. It’s by far the watch that I wear the most in my collection, even more than my gen Tudor.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
To be honest, they make sense in the secondary market for around $800 or so. Think about them as a TC v8 extreme, they are really good and that glidelock clasp is miles above any other rep bracelet and clasp (and I’ve had three ARFs myself).

At retail price? Probably not. I was on the preorder list for their ceramic but I ended up opting out because I’m happy with my aluminium insert one. Somehow the ceramic looks awkward on a five digit case. I feel it loses the humble tool watch feeling. Still great watches these Ginault, though. It’s by far the watch that I wear the most in my collection, even more than my gen Tudor.

That's a very fair alternative take on their worth Hinclimincli. I admit I was missing the TC heritage aspect. I'm coming to this rep party late, and the legend of the TC Sub doesn't perhaps mean the same to me, but I do appreciate it from what I read.

Reactions: Jammydodger79

thediesel17

Iron Man
7/7/19
agreed. wouldn’t buy for retail price, but having a high quality watch for around 1100-1200$ is not too bad. I mean it’s something with a swiss movement now that is likely to withstand a long period of time (other than most reps which are also reaching mid 500$s now)

from what I’ve heard TC/Ginault has upped their game once more with the OR2. the bezel action (which was a “problem” on the OR1) is now constructed like the 6 digit subs, the ceramic bezel feels like the better option imo (more blingy)

it’s kind of a funny story, Ginault is hated from both sides, the gen and rep world.. for the one it’s a shame that they can offer this quality at the relatively low price point and for the other world it’s to expensive as people compare it to the TC times..

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
To be honest, Ginault might have haters on both sides, but has a massive fan base too. Their watches sell out fairly quickly and now it’s quite difficult to find any below the $1,000 mark on second hand. I’m sure most haters would change their mind if they handled one.

Reactions: Doc_Savage

thediesel17

Iron Man
7/7/19
really looking forward to mine..
if Ginault ever decides to shut down their business, I predict prices are going through the roof second hand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Plus+

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
really looking forward to mine..
if Ginault ever decides to shut down their business, I predict prices are going through the roof second hand

Google Gevril Tribeca ;-)

thediesel17

Iron Man
7/7/19
looks solid, but doesn’t appear to be on ginault’s level in fit and finish if you happen to dig through some reviews..
and even those watches went up 4x to 5x second hand...

exia78

You're Saying I Can Sell?
8/2/14
agreed. wouldn’t buy for retail price, but having a high quality watch for around 1100-1200$ is not too bad. I mean it’s something with a swiss movement now that is likely to withstand a long period of time (other than most reps which are also reaching mid 500$s now)

from what I’ve heard TC/Ginault has upped their game once more with the OR2. the bezel action (which was a “problem” on the OR1) is now constructed like the 6 digit subs, the ceramic bezel feels like the better option imo (more blingy)

it’s kind of a funny story, Ginault is hated from both sides, the gen and rep world.. for the one it’s a shame that they can offer this quality at the relatively low price point and for the other world it’s to expensive as people compare it to the TC times..

I agree, The OR2 at the current retail of $1699, may seem steep but at their pre-order price around $1,200 it's a no brainer. Think about major Swiss brands around the same price point, Oris Aqua 43mm, for example, is around $1,800 with an SW200-1 movement, besides the movement everything else from midcase to finish, to the dial and bracelet, the OR2 outshines the Oris fold 10 folds. Much of that $1,800 paid is going towards the marketing for Oris but people gladly chew it up for a lesser quality piece.

I think the OR2 is dollar for dollar, pound for pound the best value watch in terms of quality and craftsmanship you can get if you are looking for the Sub style design and that Submariner/Rolex level quality.

cwfmon

Renowned Member
5/11/16
VH67KF.jpg

VH6dkU.jpg

It’s a great watch...in my opinion better than his v7 LN and on par with his v7x LV

VH6jYr.jpg

Reactions: Hinclimincli

thediesel17

Iron Man
7/7/19
VH67KF.jpg

VH6dkU.jpg

It’s a great watch...in my opinion better than his v7 LN and on par with his v7x LV

VH6jYr.jpg

on the picture the Ginault looks best imo.. but the old school tc v7 ln ‘s small markers and vintage style also are desirable. personally i’m not a fan of the lv.

when you say it’s on par with the lv, you mean quality, fit and finish?

cwfmon

Renowned Member
5/11/16
on the picture the Ginault looks best imo.. but the old school tc v7 ln ‘s small markers and vintage style also are desirable. personally i’m not a fan of the lv.

when you say it’s on par with the lv, you mean quality, fit and finish?

Cosmetically I don’t like the LN design. It’s just blah compared to the other two. The LV adds some flare with the green insert and maxi dial. And the ORII insert, maxi dial, and red hand give some pop.

Quality wise my LN the worst of the three too. The crown slips, the date flip is softer. Also the overall case finishing is a bit worse with sharper edges.

thediesel17

Iron Man
7/7/19
Cosmetically I don’t like the LN design. It’s just blah compared to the other two. The LV adds some flare with the green insert and maxi dial. And the ORII insert, maxi dial, and red hand give some pop.

Quality wise my LN the worst of the three too. The crown slips, the date flip is softer. Also the overall case finishing is a bit worse with sharper edges.

thanks for your impression!

let me know if you ever wanna flip the ln

thediesel17

Iron Man
7/7/19
interestingly a few members found a gen ETA2824 when having opened the watch!

has anybody asked Ginault about this? would be more interesting to have than a SW200/1, wouldn’t it? why use the clone, when the original is available

123krutzig

Supporter
Certified
30/1/17

Picked up an ORII...simply love it! Still have my ORI, but this one is on top. The tighter tolerances on the bracelet are simply amazing! The ceramic bezel is tight and sounds great! Got the ETA 2824 so very happy with this purchase. No regrets!

tlabowski01

Known Member
4/9/19
I recently had Katt swap in some yuki merc hands for my OR2. I wasn’t a fan of the red seconds hand and my hour marker had an ever so slightly noticeable visual defect. I feel like the merc hands give it a more refined look. Downside is that the “whiteness” of the hands is whiter than the dial markers. I may have it resumed entirely so that everything matches perfectly.
413f3bd826039840e00f8839a20de7a0.plist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Hinclimincli