• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Jaeger Le Coultre Reverso Duo face MGF Review

timnic54

Put Some Respect On My Name
16/2/16
Thailand
Well this is indeed a very interesting and unusual watch. Delivered to me of course by those wonderful people at Trusty.

49815900656_a5a4df51d7_o.jpg

49817271271_86b6d10336_o.jpg

It is interesting in terms of the watch it is rather than the Rep it is

As a rep it really isn't enormously close to the Gen in a number of ways

1 It is a bit fat
2 The second dial is set a good bit lower
3 The Crown is not recessed and should be
4 It doesn't function in quite the same way . The Gen has a slider to change the hour hand of the second dial And on this watch both dials are altered from the crown

Ok so that is what it isn't over with, now lets deal with what it is and why I really like it and why in one way in particular it is a better watch than the Gen it is failing to an extent to emulate.

The watch is magnificently well made and well finished. MG have made a wonderful watch with two stunning dials running off a single manual wind movement and managed to achieve a keyless system to alter both dials from a single crown.

They have also used a 21600 VPH rate which promises an excellent reserve de marche

I will digress a little here, but for good reason;

Some years ago I was troubled by the fact that almost all GMT and world time watches had second time zones which were only functioning in hourly increments. I felt this to be absurd and frankly, in the world of sophisticated micro mechanics, a bit of a cop out.
I was therefore drawn to buy one of the only available watches with a true fully independent second timezone facility.
This watch was the Parmigiani Hemispheres which I bought in RG and still own to this day.

It delights me to know that I own one of the few watches with an independent second time zone.

Little practical application I agree, though as a frequent visitor to Sri lanka due to my work with gemstones, it was nice to be able to apply the half hour time difference to my watch, and giggle at all the GMT owners who couldn't .

Ok so enough digression and back to the plot.

This wonderful creation by MG factory fails in it's faithfulness to the original Gen in one further and magnificent way. almost a comedy of error.
That is that the second time zone on the reverse dial is entirely independent and can be set to any alternative time.
It is also accompanied by a subdial displaying 24 hours and thus confirming for those who may not have windows in their homes, if it is indeed day or night.

All in all, not an amazing Rep, although a damn good one. But a truly wonderful and beautifully made watch with an extremely interesting and rare functionality, which in my perhaps jaded by too many years looking at watches opinion, is so much a better watch than the watch it is emulating

I originally coined the acronym NWBIG which now a few years later is ubiquitously present in Rep forum speak.

I hereby further coin the acronym BBIG better than buying in Gen

49815363303_8d56d26d75_o.jpg

49816213432_b161d56b22_o.jpg

49816740023_02fdd54e65_o.jpg

Last edited:

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
Nice little review and nice pics !

You switched the strap it seems no ?

JT888

17/6/15
Canada
Thank you for your review. I like how you pointed out this may not be the most "faithful to the original" rep, but still stands as a formidable piece on its own. Until reading this, I was focusing on where the watch fell short in terms of its closeness to gen, but now I'm considering purchasing one just because it's a very cool and stunning watch.

Last edited:

timnic54

16/2/16
Thailand
Thank you for your review. I like how you pointed out this may not be the most "faithful to the original" rep, but still stands as a formidable piece on its own. Until reading this, I was focusing on where the watch fell short in terms of its closeness to gen, but now I'm considering purchasing one just because it's a very cool and stunning watch.

Thank you This is exactly why we should buy any watch

timnic54

16/2/16
Thailand
Nice little review and nice pics !

You switched the strap it seems no ?

Thank you Yes the strap it came on was truly dreadful. It was calf leather but inside it said "genuine Alligator" Possibly the most awefull strap I have seen. I put it on the only spare 24x20 mm strap i had which is a Vietnam made gator strap of mediocre quality. I will buy a better one .

Reactions: kidcreole

shadysimoon

Known Member
6/1/20
U.E.
could you send us a photo with the exact measurements of this beauty then I can ask you the size of your handle

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
Thank you Yes the strap it came on was truly dreadful. It was calf leather but inside it said "genuine Alligator" Possibly the most awefull strap I have seen. I put it on the only spare 24x20 mm strap i had which is a Vietnam made gator strap of mediocre quality. I will buy a better one .

The one you picked fit the lugs nicely, which is often overlooked but was a design choice from JLC so that the strap always sits flush with the case. The rep strap as an insert to make that work.
Mine came with perhaps the best rep strap I've had, nice quality, embossed alligator which indeed is not the same as "genuine alligator" but seeing how your aftermarket strap is looking on it, I might switch it for something from ziczac leathers

JT888

17/6/15
Canada
Thank you This is exactly why we should buy any watch

This watch reminds me of my Tag Heuer Monaco "Walter White" rep, which is one of my favourite watches. I love the genuine watch, but the closest to gen reps have many tells for those like us here. Regardless, a beautiful watch on its own. The strap the Monaco came with was also not so great so I picked up a better rep strap. Even though it can be a polarizing watch (you either love it or hate it), it easily get's the most compliments of any watch I've owned and I wouldn't be surprised if your Reverso gets the same sort of response; although, it's not as polarizing of a watch. I think most people love the Reverso.

Last edited:
Reactions: timnic54

timnic54

16/2/16
Thailand
The one you picked fit the lugs nicely, which is often overlooked but was a design choice from JLC so that the strap always sits flush with the case. The rep strap as an insert to make that work.
Mine came with perhaps the best rep strap I've had, nice quality, embossed alligator which indeed is not the same as "genuine alligator" but seeing how your aftermarket strap is looking on it, I might switch it for something from ziczac leathers

A fat enough strap will do the job of the inserts and keep the strap close to the watch case . A thinner strap may not work so well.

timnic54

16/2/16
Thailand
This watch reminds me of my Tag Heuer Monaco "Walter White" rep, which is one of my favourite watches. I love the genuine watch, but the closest to gen reps have many tells for those like us here. Regardless, a beautiful watch on its own. The strap the Monaco came with was also not so great so I picked up a better rep strap. Even though it can be a polarizing watch (you either love it or hate it), it easily get's the most compliments of any watch I've owned and I wouldn't be surprised if your Reverso gets the same sort of response; although, it's not as polarizing of a watch. I think most people love the Reverso.

Love the Monaco such a great watch in Rep or Gen. The reverso is a very interesting watch. IIRC it was never meant to have two dials. The origin I think relates to flipping the watch over to protect it while playing Polo.

Reactions: JT888 and Glaude

Dominus77

You're Saying I Can Sell?
23/3/19
Hello kind sir, thank you very much for informative review.

i am particularly intrigued with the movement.

1) is it a manual wind movement? On trusty’s website, it is listed as an automatic

2) was wondering how does one movement be able to control two different time displays using just one crown.... is it rotate the crown clockwise to change the time for one time display; and then rotate the crown counter clockwise to change the time on the other display?

timnic54

16/2/16
Thailand
Hello kind sir, thank you very much for informative review.

i am particularly intrigued with the movement.

1) is it a manual wind movement? On trusty’s website, it is listed as an automatic

2) was wondering how does one movement be able to control two different time displays using just one crown.... is it rotate the crown clockwise to change the time for one time display; and then rotate the crown counter clockwise to change the time on the other display?

It is a manual wind movement. TD site very often mis-describe movements. They are traders not watchmakers and definitely not experts.
Effectively there are two movements back to back . For this to be automatic is in practical terms virtually impossible. I don't know where the auto winding system could be placed.

The movement will have a second train driven from the main train to drive what is essentially a second movement , but without power train.

They have created a keyless system which allows one crown position to alter one movement in crown position 2 and the other in crown position 3. Crown position 1 being for winding the main spring.
Both movements can be altered in both directions.
It is not dissimilar in most ways to the Gen movement.

In my view the keyless which they have devised is a major improvement over the functioning of the original Gen movement.

Last edited:

shhhnap

Horology Curious
18/4/20

Thanks for your awesome review! I am waiting for mine and want to find a decent replacement strap. Have you found another?

Reactions: Parto

timnic54

16/2/16
Thailand
Thanks for your awesome review! I am waiting for mine and want to find a decent replacement strap. Have you found another?

Not yet. I am sure any thick strap with 24mm at lug and 20 mm at clasp will do the job very well.

A thicker strap will sit tight against the watch case

Reactions: shhhnap

gribouille

Looking Around
18/4/20
Thank you very much for this excellent review of this very beautiful watch.
In particular, your technical report convinced me to order it a week ago.The package left for HongKong to come to France via UK. My 1st purchase of this type.
I am also looking for a classic Reverso with small second or tribute 1931 with manual or auto movement.If you have any idea
Thanks a lot again timnic54

rongvang2789

26/5/16
Ive been waiting for this to be released for too long. Pretty nice review mate :D might i ask u your wrist size?
Im expecting they will make this reverso one day, quartz and no second hands, perfect rep but seems no one has ever paid attention on this model.
663d5e0ca765b866eedf4fc94aa61f48.jpg

Gửi từ Live của tôi bằng cách sử dụng Tapatalk

timnic54

16/2/16
Thailand
Ive been waiting for this to be released for too long. Pretty nice review mate :D might i ask u your wrist size?
Im expecting they will make this reverso one day, quartz and no second hands, perfect rep but seems no one has ever paid attention on this model.
663d5e0ca765b866eedf4fc94aa61f48.jpg

My wrist size is 8.5 inches

rongvang2789

26/5/16
My wrist size is 8.5 inches
Its damn huge tho ????????????????. Mine is just 6,5 gets me struggling around 40mm. I thought i could have the same look on wrist as yours ????