• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My thoughts on: the IWC Mark XVIII by MKS Factory, Miyota 9015

miscusi

10/10/20
NYC
These are my thoughts on this watch, which arrived from TD Trusty yesterday.

Overall, Very pleased. I would recommend this watch to anyone who wants this model, and do not mind putting in about an hour of finishing time.

I bought this watch mainly because of the bracelet. I have been admiring this bracelet design for a very long time.

The watch came well packed and I didn't wait too long. I opened it up to find that the factory took great pride in their factory branding. Peeling the plastic off the watch was easy as there was not alot of plastic on it.

The machining of the bracelet and case was amazing, precise bracelet pieces, exact bracelet pins, perfect spring loaded pressing link end caps. The clasp have some areas that was not too well finished, that is the inside hollow part.. a bit hard to describe but see photo below. The case was machined really well but had some pretty sharp edges. The edges dont cut you, but feels sharp enough to be unpleasant. The case back design also had some sharp edges to it.

Dial lines up well with the case, printing is excellent, excellent quality overall.

I feel that this watch did not go through the final finish stage that should have been done. there was some dirt, some what appeared to be polishing compound left on some edges, and some rough areas that needed further finishing.

I took some 2000 grit and wet sanded the watch as needed, washed with soap and water, and it turned out to be very nice. Sharp edges were gone and cleaned up the rough parts a bit. The antireflective domed crystal is a nice touch. The best practical feature of this watch is the single hand, on-the-wrist micro adjustment of the length, I love it.

below are some pics. thanks for reading.
ZOW13i.jpg
ZOWILI.jpg
ZOWO8c.jpg
ZOWY7X.jpg
ZOW9Yb.jpg
ZOWnwp.jpg
ZOW6c5.jpg
ZOWriF.jpg
ZOWtCt.jpg
ZOWlLE.jpg
ZOWBS2.jpg
ZOWprn.jpg
ZOWCE3.jpg
ZOWT3s.jpg
ZOWXyY.jpg
ZOWd4D.jpg
ZOW4mo.jpg
ZOWkck.jpg
ZOWMCJ.jpg
ZOWveW.jpg
ZOWsSP.jpg
ZOW7rS.jpg
ZOWEEQ.jpg
ZOWRHL.jpg

Last edited:

Naths63

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
7/5/20
Looks great...is the bracelet adjust done via the push pins?...as in Pam style...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: miscusi

miscusi

10/10/20
NYC
i dont know about pam, but this u press a tool in the hole and it releases. this bracelet is amazing! one link is 7 pieces.. just wow.. the bracelet now is about 100 pieces of steel if you take it all apart..

thenut

Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Germany
Nice Pics and good Review , thx Mate. I am also looking for a MK 18 or Tribute to MK XI , i Like the 9015 so the MKS would also be my choice for the 18

peterpl

Put Some Respect On My Name
24/7/11
This is one of the best reps I've bought recently although I did buy the blue dial. Its a beauty. For the price its amazing. Also it keeps better time than my gen Rolex's. This thing has been +1second a day since I got it.

The QC on this is also flawless. Perfectly aligned datewheel and not dust/scratches under the crystal at all. Best $320 I've spent

IMG-20201209-202827.jpg

IMG-20201209-202832.jpg

Last edited:

peterpl

24/7/11
^ You got 2 of them? LOL

I'm so happy about this rep. To be honest I havent bought a rep in over 14 months - kind of forgot how happy a rep can make me compared to my gens. Getting the bug again especially since how good this thing is.

Reactions: thenut

merowinger

I'm Pretty Popular
10/7/13
Switzerland
Yes, I bought two, but the one I kept for me has the 2xAR.
To be honest, the dial colour is not 100% like gen, but a great watch nonetheless.
I especially love how thin it is.

mpx

I'm Pretty Popular
6/2/20
Austria
Thanks for your post about this watch, I might also pick one up, I really like the simplicity and style of the watch. And the size should also be pretty much perfect for my smaller wrist. I'm just not sure whether to choose the black or blue one, but I tend to go to for the blue one as I don't have any other blue watches in my collection at the moment. And I had an Oris Big Crown Propilot, which is pretty similar, in black and sold it again after a few months because it was just too boring.

Edit: Just realized that the black one comes with a brushed bracelet and the blue one has some polished links. This, the color of the date window and the sometimes purple hue on the blue one help with my decision. It will be a black one :) On the bracelet as I'm sure I can get a better quality leather strap somewhere else.

Last edited:

miscusi

10/10/20
NYC
It will be a black one :)

I really love how it looks like a ordinary watch, the matt finish and simple dial, i can wear it all the time and not have to hide it. sometimes I would hide a shiny recognizable looking watch which I might be mugged for..

Reactions: mpx

peterpl

24/7/11
Edit: Just realized that the black one comes with a brushed bracelet and the blue one has some polished links. This, the color of the date window and the sometimes purple hue on the blue one help with my decision. It will be a black one :) On the bracelet as I'm sure I can get a better quality leather strap somewhere else.

To be honest I think they have improved on the blue dial with this version. I don't really see purple too much. I used to have the ceramic version which had a much more purple dial in certain lighting conditions but this one is much much better.

Reactions: mpx and merowinger

mpx

I'm Pretty Popular
6/2/20
Austria
Thanks, but for the other mentioned reasons I still think I will go with the black one :) I know I'm still missing a blue dial watch in my collection then, but I'm sure one day I will find something suitable. My blue dial Royal Oak and Nautilus were just over the top for me, so I got rid of them again. The blue dial Seamaster Planet Ocean was pretty boring and a few other blue watches also didn't do it for me. My watches are mainly black now, but to be honest, that's also not that bad. Because of the differences between the watches it's still not really boring, even with the lack of colour.

miscusi

10/10/20
NYC
still missing a blue dial watch in my collection
I was considering the Tudor 58 blue dial, I have a 6.75" wrist and that is a good size, but the bracelet do not have a on the fly adjustment so its just not how I wear watches. My steel bracelets needs that size adjustment feature.

Reactions: mpx

mpx

I'm Pretty Popular
6/2/20
Austria
I was considering the Tudor 58 blue dial, I have a 6.75" wrist and that is a good size, but the bracelet do not have a on the fly adjustment so its just not how I wear watches. My steel bracelets needs that size adjustment feature.

Yep, I totally understand that. That's also one of the reasons why I love the Submariner with the Glidelock and why I don't buy many watches. Also the blue Black Bay 58 for example. But here I also think the flat, matte dial is a bit too boring. I also considered the Seamaster Aqua Terra, but there I'm also not a huge fan of the polished bracelet and I also don't like butterfly clasps without any adjustment.

Too bad blue dials seem to be so hard to replicate. Maybe I have to add one or two gens to my collection again.

The polished mid links: i have brushed them with a sandpaper. Very easy to do.
Thanks! Looks a bit better, but I'm still not a huge fan of the hue on the blue dial. And especially the white date window isn't for me.

Reactions: Galenik and miscusi

peterpl

24/7/11
Thanks! Looks a bit better, but I'm still not a huge fan of the hue on the blue dial. And especially the white date window isn't for me.

You dont like the hue of the blue? Have you seen my pictures? Its not going to get much better than that blue. Looks amazing. The only blue that looks better is a gen Rolex 116613/116618LB.