• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

SWF Portuguese 3714 - Pictures/Review

QBalance156

You're Saying I Can Sell?
25/8/07
There are so many factories making the Portuguese 3714. Just to name a few: SWF, ZF, JJF (first to fix the curved 4 numeral), GPF (no one talks about), 3A (diamond versions). Not only are there many factories, some of the factories continue to improve their versions after release making it really hard to keep up and judge based on TD pics. My purpose behind this post is to help anyone who is on the fence about which version to get by sharing sufficient detail on the version that I bought.

After much research on the forums and thanks to the many pics contributed by all members, I finally settled on the SWF version. It was purchased from Angus and Puretime.

The Good:
- Recently improved their sapphire crystal AR coating (can actually see the bluish hue)
- Bezel assembles w/ screws (gen-like) rather than press on (easier for servicing movement since you cannot remove the movement of a 3714 just through the caseback)
- New style sec@6 7750 movement (I'll give an update on reliability in a couple of weeks)
- Tachy ring tick marks are closer to center edge compared to ZF
- Bezel does not have strange, polished flat before transitioning to bevel like ZF
- Dial does not have super shiny subdials
- Dial subdials have similar depth as gen

The Bad:
- The crown is bigger in diameter compared to gen
- Dial numerals and hands are more yellow gold compared to gen which is rose gold
- "SCHAFFHAUSEN" font on dial is too low compared to the peak of the "3" numeral
- Rep alligator strap is obviously embossed calf leather so the depth, texture, and gloss are wrong. However, strap lengths are correct for comfortable use of deployment clasp.
- The bezel bevel is too tall and sharp. From pics, the JJF version seems to have the closest match to gen.
- My hour and minute hands have a non-gen like bend at their tips (maybe to avoid contacting the crystal?_

The Verdict:
If you want a 3714, get the SWF version over the others on currently on the market. Visually, it has gotten better over the months since its release back in December.

On to the pictures:
AG1_B0770.jpg

AG1_B0771.jpg

AG1_B0773.jpg
AG1_B0779.jpg

AG1_B0781.jpg

Compared to the GEN dial that I own:
AG1_B0792.jpg

AG1_B0786.jpg

Compared to the GEN brown strap design for tang buckle that I own (for deployment strap length comparison):
AG1_B0794.jpg

AG1_B0795.jpg

Comparison of REP black, GEN brown, and VIETNAM black:
AG1_B0798.jpg

Supposedly gen thickness is 12.3mm:
AG1_B0799.jpg

CalABC

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
31/8/15
Actually looks pretty remarkable. Only thing is, Sec@6 movement is still extremely unstable for the 7750. No matter how much factories say they have "improved" the movement, I still wouldn't trust it. The only way I would buy one is if Domi gave a guarantee on his jewel mod (which he doesn't) in case of failure. Can't really say TBH whether Domi's mod would improve stability enough to make it worth it.

kurwy

Known Member
31/10/14
Actually looks pretty remarkable. Only thing is, Sec@6 movement is still extremely unstable for the 7750. No matter how much factories say they have "improved" the movement, I still wouldn't trust it. The only way I would buy one is if Domi gave a guarantee on his jewel mod (which he doesn't) in case of failure. Can't really say TBH whether Domi's mod would improve stability enough to make it worth it.
What about secs @12 more precisely the JF offshores how reliable are they?

iceman767

Known Member
20/10/12
I have had my portugese modified by Domi almost 4 years now. It's the most accurate rep I have in terms of time keeping .
Power reserve is almost 4 days on this rep.
Domi mods are up there with gen watches.

peterpl

Put Some Respect On My Name
24/7/11
My ZF sec@6's these on the IWC 3878 models are extremely accurate and very good time keeping. They have changed the way the transfer gears are done and also added jewels just like domi does

chefzorba

20/5/16
Charlestown, SC
Thank you for the review on this model. I have been on the fence about making this my first rep purchase and your very detailed review on both good and bad have helped me make my decision a little easier. The SWF version, visually, seems remarkable and interested in the movement reliability update in a few weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

montblancrep

27/11/14
Great review. My feedback on the swf version is its a really great rep, very happy with it in General

easiest tells:
-the AR coating blue is still quite far from Gen.
-the Clasp is poorly filed down (final polish) and the lettering is also of a poor grade. Perhaps after QC pics you could ask to have it looked at.
-replace the strap is a must

QBalance156

25/8/07
No issues with the movement so far even after 3 days of continuous wearing. Time is still accurate and no stopping or stutter of the movement. I have never actuated the chrono function since it arrived (and probably never will). Keeping my fingers crossed.

Peter Pan

29/1/13
@QBalance156
Thank you for your review!

I think both the ZF and the SWF are overall great looking watches but the thickness issue is bothering me. Even if it is "only" 2mm, I personally think this is highly noticeable. What a bummer they can't get that right.

QBalance156

25/8/07
Maybe if somebody here has a gen, we can compare thicknesses of the caseback, mid case, bezel, and crystal dome to see where exactly the biggest rep thickness discrepancy exists.

Peter Pan

29/1/13
I know it starts to get confusing but this is what I found on other forums (none of the pics are mine):

This is one guy on RWG measuring his SWF :)

Ohne_Titel_1_verschoben_8.png

And this is a gen compared to a ZF. He says the ZF is close to 14.8mm

IWC6_zpsb2uh7umd.jpg

IWC5_A_zpscwr5erdb.jpg

QBalance156

25/8/07
Regarding my 14.22mm caliper measurement, I am now realizing that it included the thickness of the protective film that I had on to prevent scratches from my caliper jaws. Maybe without the film I am more like 14.07mm.

WindJonah

Known Member
29/11/15
My SWF [371446 - blue] arrived this morning (less than 3 days after approving the QC images) and, so far, couldn't be happier. It's obviously too early to comment on the movement and reliability and I wouldn't profess to be an expert, far from it in fact, but the overall build quality is very, very impressive. The markers and fine details look superb to my novice eyes. I'm also really pleased with the AR coating (which I was expecting to be non-existent) as well as the overall lustre / luminance of the dial (not too shiny). The strap isn't great but I expected that and I've got a replacement on order. Oh and contrary to the promotional blurb, my strap is dark blue as opposed to black.

I'll post some images once the replacement strap arrives (in 5 weeks!)

Snipster22

28/11/14
My SWF [371446 - blue] arrived this morning (less than 3 days after approving the QC images) and, so far, couldn't be happier. It's obviously too early to comment on the movement and reliability and I wouldn't profess to be an expert, far from it in fact, but the overall build quality is very, very impressive. The markers and fine details look superb to my novice eyes. I'm also really pleased with the AR coating (which I was expecting to be non-existent) as well as the overall lustre / luminance of the dial (not too shiny). The strap isn't great but I expected that and I've got a replacement on order. Oh and contrary to the promotional blurb, my strap is dark blue as opposed to black.

I'll post some images once the replacement strap arrives (in 5 weeks!)

Good stuff - I look forward to seeing these...

NewFan0803

15/1/16
Hi, just wondering how the movement (improved with jeweled at 6) is doing ? Any hiccup ? Cheers

There are so many factories making the Portuguese 3714. Just to name a few: SWF, ZF, JJF (first to fix the curved 4 numeral), GPF (no one talks about), 3A (diamond versions). Not only are there many factories, some of the factories continue to improve their versions after release making it really hard to keep up and judge based on TD pics. My purpose behind this post is to help anyone who is on the fence about which version to get by sharing sufficient detail on the version that I bought.

After much research on the forums and thanks to the many pics contributed by all members, I finally settled on the SWF version. It was purchased from Angus and Puretime.

The Good:
- Recently improved their sapphire crystal AR coating (can actually see the bluish hue)
- Bezel assembles w/ screws (gen-like) rather than press on (easier for servicing movement since you cannot remove the movement of a 3714 just through the caseback)
- New style sec@6 7750 movement (I'll give an update on reliability in a couple of weeks)
- Tachy ring tick marks are closer to center edge compared to ZF
- Bezel does not have strange, polished flat before transitioning to bevel like ZF
- Dial does not have super shiny subdials
- Dial subdials have similar depth as gen

The Bad:
- The crown is bigger in diameter compared to gen
- Dial numerals and hands are more yellow gold compared to gen which is rose gold
- "SCHAFFHAUSEN" font on dial is too low compared to the peak of the "3" numeral
- Rep alligator strap is obviously embossed calf leather so the depth, texture, and gloss are wrong. However, strap lengths are correct for comfortable use of deployment clasp.
- The bezel bevel is too tall and sharp. From pics, the JJF version seems to have the closest match to gen.
- My hour and minute hands have a non-gen like bend at their tips (maybe to avoid contacting the crystal?_

The Verdict:
If you want a 3714, get the SWF version over the others on currently on the market. Visually, it has gotten better over the months since its release back in December.

On to the pictures:
AG1_B0770.jpg

AG1_B0771.jpg

AG1_B0773.jpg
AG1_B0779.jpg

AG1_B0781.jpg

Compared to the GEN dial that I own:
AG1_B0792.jpg

AG1_B0786.jpg

Compared to the GEN brown strap design for tang buckle that I own (for deployment strap length comparison):
AG1_B0794.jpg

AG1_B0795.jpg

Comparison of REP black, GEN brown, and VIETNAM black:
AG1_B0798.jpg

Supposedly gen thickness is 12.3mm:
AG1_B0799.jpg

QBalance156

25/8/07
The movement has been great! I have been wearing it several days per week. Absolutely no stutters, power reserve has been strong, and time has been accurate. This has been performing much better than some of my other reps.

NewFan0803

15/1/16
The movement has been great! I have been wearing it several days per week. Absolutely no stutters, power reserve has been strong, and time has been accurate. This has been performing much better than some of my other reps.
Awesome to hear ! This settles it for me, will get the SWF over ZF ! :laugh:

Peter Pan

29/1/13
I need your help guys! I ordered the latest SWF 3714 and I already got my QC pics. Unfortunately I am quite sure, the model I got is not the newest version from SWF. It just looks cheap, to be honest. The color of the numerals seems to be way more bronziest and less yellow gold like the SWF does and also the location of "Schaffhausen" doesn't match the model @QBalance156 reviewed. Also the AR seems to be weaker.

What do you think? Could it all just be the lighting? This wouldnt' explain the positioning of the Shaffhausen though

Thank you!

169.jpg