• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Top Gun 388001 Review [pic heavy]

japie007

Known Member
20/6/14
So here it is, my first official review and my first official thread.

I know it is kind of tacky but before starting I would like to thank everybody in the community. From the gentlemen who helped my decide on where to buy, the guys for joking around with in the CB, the dealers who were all very helpful even if it would not benefit them maybe (but I will get back on that later on) and the community in general.

On to my rep history, the watch, the dealers, the waiting and everything else! (Its pretty long story, if you want you can just skip to the review but for myself I had to write it down)

Some years ago I bought two reps, without knowing RWI existed. So like many before me I just typed in something in Google like “IWC replica”, clicked on the first link started browsing for about 5 minutes, saw something I liked and bought it. Needless to say 3 weeks after I received my IWC Minute Repeater 524205 the supposed sapphire broke. Got it fixed and a couple of weeks later the watch started running slow and I stopped wearing it.
A year later I tried my luck again, same procedure, same site, bought a Big Pilot 5009 (not accurate at all as I know now). 4 months later it died on me. Sometime later I ordered another rep and got a letter from customs “your watch has been seized since we suspect it is a counterfeit. You can accept this and we will destroy it or you can take us to court, if you lose you will have a record and have to pay all the costs involved..”
Right then and there I decided not to buy reps anymore and started to buy some relative cheap gens like TW steel and a Michael Kors.

But after watching The Bourne Legacy and noticing the IWC Aaron Cross was wearing I was hooked again. I had to get my hands on another IWC rep but was determent to get my hands on a good rep this time so I did some more research and stumbled upon RWI.
After lurking and reading for some time I knew it was time to make a move.
‘The Bourne IWC’ was an IWC Pilot’s Watch Double Chronograph Edition TOP GUN Ref. IW 379901. After looking in to it more extensively I was not so sure about Double Chronograph or the price.
So I searched for something very much like it but different if you know what I mean. Ended up with the IWC Top Gun 388001. Looked very much a like but was different at the same time and I felt it would suit me better.
So I found my watch, all I had to do now was find a dealer.

Started to browse all the TD’s sites again looking for the watch and noticed they came in different cases and different movements, damn…
I made the decision for myself that this time I would focus on the looks just to see how RWI and the TD’s worked and because I was on a budget. So I started to message some of the TD’s if they could deliver the PVD with quartz, how much it would cost me and how they would ship it to The Netherlands, since the customs are very strict here.
Lucy straight up answered me saying; I got one, but I’m not selling it to you because of your customs, its to risky I’m sorry.
WBK might me able to get me one, but it was too expensive for me so I contacted Sead.
Sad was able to deliver it to me in 2 different ways, directly with HK mail or via The UK. Last method would cost me some 25$ more, but custom risk was lower and it would only take about 5 days extra. For me it was a no brainer.
So I ordered the Top Gun at 119$ + 40$ shipping via The UK to Holland. (Yes Holland is the same as The Netherlands)

According to the estimations the packaged would be delivered on the 17[SUP]th[/SUP] or 18[SUP]th[/SUP] of July just 14 to 15 days after I made the payment, but I was leaving for a couple of days to Paris on the 18[SUP]th[/SUP] so I was really hoping I could take it with me… Spoiler, I couldn’t. It arrived at our doorstep 3 hours after I left for Paris, so in Paris I was window-shopping for the watch that was already delivered back home. When I got back I found a note saying; Was unable to deliver, you can pick it up at the post office Monday after 13:00.
So in all my enthusiasm I went to the post office at 13:00 but the postman only arrived at 13:00. Longest 5 minutes of my life maybe.

Back home I unwrapped the watch, and it was exactly what I was hoping for. So thanks sead!

On to my not so professional review but hey, we all gotta start somewhere right ;)

Like I mentioned earlier I was on a budget so the watch is a simple quartz with PVD case.

Case
At first sight it a great looking watch with the matt black touch. Never held the gen in store so can’t say anything about the weight proportioned to the gen but my rep weighs 131grams and feels pretty solid.

RbkpnOc.jpg

Dial
It’s a nice dark black; all numerals are crispy white as well as the date. The 3,6,9 and 12 appear to be a little more yellowish due to the lume I guess.

Hands
Thing you notice immediately is the fire-red airplane that really stands out. Seconds at 6 hand is slightly less red but looks like gen accept for the color. Big hands are less yellowish than 3,6,9,12 but not as crispy white as the numerals.

729YdFg.jpg

Crystal
Is very well done, fits like a glove and has the blue-ish glare like the gen.

ixzruLU.jpg

Crown
Both the crown and the pushers feel really solid, pulling it out to adjust the time feels like it should. Although it seems like the crown could be closer to the case. But than again it’s a 100 times cheaper than the gen!

sFECS2n.jpg

Strap
I knew when I ordered it that it would probably feel cheap and it does. It will do for now but I have already ordered another which will be delivered in about a week. Nevertheless, the Kevlar makes it look pretty kickass.

Deployant clasp
It is less titanium looking than I had anticipated, looks more grey, don’t know it the pictures really show it. IWC is not as deep, but you cant see that from more then 20cm.

AU4cUCp.jpg

Back case
This was really one of the aspect that made me choose this watch, the case back logo with Top Gun on it.
Looks very close to gen in my opinion even though it does not point straight up and the color is a bit off..
Logo is covered by plastic or glass layer not sure which one it is, but feels good.

TXTq3mN.jpg

o8jHS88.jpg

Movement
Well like I mentioned before it is quartz so nothing special to report here.

All in all, a very good rep for a very nice price. I'm absolutely in love with the watch.

Everybody thank you for taking the time to read my review, any comments are welcome. Feedback is highly appreciated! (especially on the pictures because this was the first time I made pictures like this)
Thanks again everybody at RWI, I’m really happy with my watch and a special shout out goes out to Liam for helping me find my way around here the first days :)

(more pictures can be found here: https://imgur.com/a/0Ivef )

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Nice review, thanks for taking the time to do that!

Nikoteen

I'm Pretty Popular
12/5/12
Thanks for the review mate....i like the Top Gun as well.....think they look great and as much as a lot of users don't like the quartz models...they are good daily beaters. you enjoy it and that's the most important thing.

R4dcu

Supporter
Certified
22/5/14
Been mulling over a top gun for a few days now and has been useful to read your experience on this so far, thanks!
I don't mind a quart to be honest, especially as a beater so this really appeals to me - especially at the price!

optical

Renowned Member
31/1/10
where did you find a ceramic version of this watch if I may ask? I assume it was a quartz but with a ceramic case, its pretty much what Im asfter.

zocker4711

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
18/3/13
Question would be if the Crown Fit on an TG 3789 with A7750... The Steam can be Epoxyd or so...
In my eyes the Crown looks much better as the Crown on the A7750 Version or what do you guys think?

japie007

Known Member
20/6/14
where did you find a ceramic version of this watch if I may ask? I assume it was a quartz but with a ceramic case, its pretty much what Im asfter.

unfortunately I can't remember where exactly, I think it might have been that WBK could get his hands on one. Not sure anymore, I'm sorry.

optical

Renowned Member
31/1/10
Question would be if the Crown Fit on an TG 3789 with A7750... The Steam can be Epoxyd or so...
In my eyes the Crown looks much better as the Crown on the A7750 Version or what do you guys think?
the crown on the 3789 is titanium, same as the pushers. So I think putting a steel crown on it will contrast with the pusher and make it look akward.

optical

Renowned Member
31/1/10
unfortunately I can't remember where exactly, I think it might have been that WBK could get his hands on one. Not sure anymore, I'm sorry.
but your sure it was this particular model (388001), in ceramic? sorry to keep bugging you, but I have been waiting for a ceramic of this model, (not the doppel 3799) for ages, didnt think they actually made one since its a quartz watch. an auto is impossible because of the movement (secs at 6 and 60min counter at 12)

japie007

Known Member
20/6/14
but your sure it was this particular model (388001), in ceramic? sorry to keep bugging you, but I have been waiting for a ceramic of this model, (not the doppel 3799) for ages, didnt think they actually made one since its a quartz watch. an auto is impossible because of the movement (secs at 6 and 60min counter at 12)

I think you might me right, I think it might have been the 3799... I'm starting to doubt the fact that it was an 388001 tbh.
Gonna dive in to my message history with some TD's and I'll get back to you!

viiinz

You're Saying I Can Sell?
4/5/12
I got the same watch from sead. It's pvd-ed stainless steel apparently. Despite that however, I feel that the matte black pvd finish is quite excellent. I accidentally hit a part of the bezel on a table and there was this 1mm long white scratch on the black surface. I initially thought that the coating had chipped off but once I got home, a quick wipe with a damp cloth with some soap and the "scratch" was gone.

The lume is pretty decent as well..
6etaqyma.jpg

zy5ehe7y.jpg

Some cons I can think of...

-Crown, pushers and clasp should be titanium (correct me if I'm wrong here)
-it's a quartz
-strap is very stiff

Despite that I feel it's a good daily beater for 119 dollars. :)

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

japie007

Known Member
20/6/14

I'm sorry to disappoint you man, I have been going trough my messages from front to back and can't find any prove of me running in to a ceramic 388001. I'm sorry.
All I can do is assume I made a mistake and that what I recall about the ceramic 388001 is actually about a ceramic 3799.
Sorry that I got your hopes up :(

optical

Renowned Member
31/1/10
Not a problem mate, thankyou for trying to find it, appreciate the effort. I think I might just go this one, looks pretty good.
Thanks for the review!

Liamborghini

Renowned Member
21/12/13
Wow awesome review JP! I swear I read the first bits :hehehe: I swear I did ;)

Anyway looks great! only one wristie tho! C'mon man :lol:

Hope you enjoy it :D

MrTdot

You're Saying I Can Sell?
17/11/14
Nice review, great pics! Enjoy it.
Some quartz watches have a smooth sweep, which is the only reason i ask, Is the seconds hand smooth sweeping?

rhc22

26/11/11
Nice review, great pics! Enjoy it.
Some quartz watches have a smooth sweep, which is the only reason i ask, Is the seconds hand smooth sweeping?
Small seconds is ticking and the chrono seconds is a sweep

mydnytrydr

Mythical Poster
25/9/09
I bought my quartz Top Gun 3 yrs ago.. it is one of my beaters. The quality on these have DEFINATELY gotten better! Enjoy yours, mate!..