• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My dumb luck so far.....

idontknow

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
24/5/11
Southwest
First I must say that I am by no means a noob to internet forums, eBay, or buying and selling on the internet.

But I must say that my first experiences here and another related site are leading me to lean towards something I read in a thread for noobs breaking into this hobby

In the last week and a half I have purchased 2 pre-owned watches off of here, 1 pre-owned off of the other site, 2 new from a trusted dealer here, and ordered a BK sub/and requested a lume job through the other.

Of the two pre-owned purchased here, the first I purchased seems to have fallen victim to the Canada Post workers strike. It was sent out Monday of last week and has been MIA since. The seller stated a few days back that if it hasn't arrived in another couple of days he will refund my payment.

The second that I purchased here arrived today DOA (the seller and I are in commo on this now). I do have to give props to the seller because he did ship it USPS 1st Class with Del. Conf. and Insurance (and bubble wrapped it so much it took 10min to get it out where I could see it).

The purchase I made from a trusted dealer here (WBK) went smooth as silk (after resolving an issue trying to purchase through the paysite). Both items arrived today USPS priority with delivery confirmation, and both are functioning perfectly.

Of all three purchases made here, WBK has had the best commo skills of them all.

The pre-owned purchase I made from the other site has yet to arrive, and was bought and paid for on the same day that I bought the DOA. That individual waited 3 days to ship, stated he sent it USPS Priority but did not pay for delivery confirmation..... :facepalm:

Through the other site I got in communication with both BK and PBdad for a Sub and lume job. So far the commo has been outstanding, and both of them have been very helpful, informative, and very patient with me in getting through all of my questions.

So back to what I am leaning towards.... Somewhere I read in a thread (from an experienced member) that he couldn't understand why so many don't buy from trusted dealers, and instead hang it out waiting to see how the chips fall....

So I must admit that in the future I will be leaning towards buying off of the trusted dealer list, or from well established board members in this hobby (in much the same way I do with my other hobbies/websites).

bigdeal

I'm Pretty Popular
21/8/10
Yup, sounds like you've got the idea... There is no substitute for a little experience when buying reps. It gets easier after the first couple...

majwilliams

14/12/10
CONUS
Unfortunate. The rep game is an interesting one, so much s*#&t can happen. However I prefer to buy from other members for the most part.

AskMeAgain

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/2/11
I tend to agree with majwillams, I now prefer to buy from members in good standing. I have had three reasonable to great experiences with dealers and some great and not so great dealings with members on forums. If buying from members, get lots of pics and ask lots of questions. If dealing with dealers try to make sure they have the watch in stock before parting with cash. Main thing is patience and dont sweat the small stuff :)

HPoirot

31/3/11
Sometimes you get really good deals with members, and generally faster deal. (no delay for QC, getting item ready, etc)

I've bought from both, and so far, no preference.

idontknow

Advisor
24/5/11
Southwest
Everyone here has valid points to go one way or the other. It's just that such a run in the span of a week and a half is just insane. The members that I purchased from have 41, 228, and 401 posts each. What is interesting is that the longest member of the three between the two boards is 5 yrs, and his commo has left a great deal to be desired. I guess I shouldn't project my way of handling sales on someone else (though I believe I handle things a bit more proactively).

waddster

I'm Pretty Popular
10/8/10
I've bought from TD's and members on this site, but would have to say I prefer to buy from members because you know what you are getting most everytime. Everyone that I have dealt with has been very good at disclosing any issues that they are aware of and have all been great transactions. When I get antsy for a certain rep though I start looking into the TD's to fulfill my compulsive disorder.
icon12.gif

idontknow

Advisor
24/5/11
Southwest
So, I have been doing a bit more reading of the sale ads today and saw something that I was not aware of.
The payment demand of personal/gift through PayPal is not permitted here? Up until I read it in an ad I was not aware of this. The watch that I bought that is coming from Canada (and now lost) I was instructed to pay in this manner.
I am getting a little bit of an unhappy feeling here.

waddster

I'm Pretty Popular
10/8/10
Ooh-ouch, no protection. Hope all goes well and the seller was just avoiding paypal fees. Good luck!

Rowlers

You're Saying I Can Sell?
23/3/07
I was not aware of that either. A trusted dealer asked me to pay this way and I am now having issues with that same dealer...

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
Paying via paypal with the 4% additional fees are onyl required for person to person transactions on the sales forum. Dealers have their own rules for purchasing from them. It's the same as any other transaction on the Internet though, you should always be aware of who and how you are sending money.

idontknow

Advisor
24/5/11
Southwest
The pre-owned purchase I made from the other site has yet to arrive, and was bought and paid for on the same day that I bought the DOA. That individual waited 3 days to ship, stated he sent it USPS Priority but did not pay for delivery confirmation..... :facepalm:

So an interesting tidbit of an update on this one......

The seller PM'd me on the 4th (after I asked on the 2nd for tracking info) and said-

Watch was sent out priority. They don't offer tracking with priorty but you should have it monday or tuesday.

Enjoy

Joe

As of yesterday it still had not arrived so I sent a PM asking for status/update (this went unanswered).

Today a package arrived in my box. It was a flimsy 5x7 bubble wrap mailer that had the watch, a spare crown, and a spare bezel insert placed in individual plastic bags but not padded between. The kicker was the postmark that showed a ship date of the 6th (meaning he sat on it for 6 days), with a USPS track number that is not recognized in the USPS online system.......

And this is someone on the other site that has been around for a few years.

As it stands, the package from Canada is still MIA (leaving me to wonder if it really was sent out since the seller has failed to provide any proof of shipment). So I will be asking that he refund my payment tomorrow.

On another note though... I ordered a UPO from ReplicaMake today and will be patiently waiting for my QC pics to arrive.

I am really finding it sad that I can't seem to find much credibility with some of the people in this hobby. I seem to have run into some of the dregs right out of the chute. What's really wild is that I have been buying/selling on firearms boards for the last ELEVEN years, and on a bicycling hobby board for the last SEVEN years and never had anything like this happen.

I am fairly certain that only TD's/established modders will be receiving my hard earned $ from here forward.

C'est la vie....

murklemark

I'm Pretty Popular
28/7/10
I wouldn't give up on members sales so quickly, look at their sales rating that's normally a good indicator of their sales credibility, ask plenty of questions before paying, if you want tracking, insurance etc then request it when buying it, if your paying for postage then it's your prerogative to request it.
I've had a few dealings buying from members and it's all been great.

idontknow

Advisor
24/5/11
Southwest
I wouldn't give up on members sales so quickly, look at their sales rating that's normally a good indicator of their sales credibility, ask plenty of questions before paying, if you want tracking, insurance etc then request it when buying it, if your paying for postage then it's your prerogative to request it.
I've had a few dealings buying from members and it's all been great.

It will remain to be seen if I change my mind.

The DOA seller has 1 positive since joining (and a member since 12-22-2010)

The MIA seller has 3 positive in the last 12 months (and a member since 05-10-2006)

The seller on OTS had no feedback showing but a website search showed multiple completed deals with no negatives (and a member since 07-September 08)

What I hadn't even gotten into yet was that the MIA seller stated he would ship on the day I sent payment, but then waited a couple of days before he sent it out, and then only provided any sort or info after I PM'd him.

I am just amazed (and very little surprises me). Maybe it is the mentality of some people (note I am not lumping all others into this) that choose to operate/move about in hobby that is underground compared to most.

Bruce

Horology Curious
22/2/08
I have bought twice from members here, and several times from trusted dealers. tbh I prefer the TDs, since it's their job, not their hobby. I have never been let down, and the only problem I ever had was an Explorer I that didn't arrive from Andrew, which he replaced at a knock-down rate.

I know that someone has to try out new dealers, but I don't think it has to be me.

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Well the mantra here with regard to M2M sales should be:

1. Seller: Pack with care, over cautious, over wrap.
2. Buyer: Always insist and pay extra if necessary for tracking and fastest route.
3. Buyer: Never pay by gift unless you have dealt with the seller prior. (Against our policy but it's impossible to enforce this.)
4. Seller: Be very flexible and considerate to flaws and mishaps for DOA and missed notations on the sale.

If we have a seller here that consistently has issues with a sale, no tracking, shipping 6 days late or being inflexible, we will at our discretion consider no-sale or outright ban from RWI. Please send me the sellers name who did not fulfill or lied about any terms of your sale. This is discrete and if this seller has no issues there will likely be no actions taken but I do keep a list.

frankt8242

I'm Pretty Popular
12/5/06
One more thing..>>>

Don't take WBK's shipping speed as an example of all the TD's...He ships from Conus.....Not Gz.!!

bigdeal

I'm Pretty Popular
21/8/10
Sucks that you got off to a bad start, but I don't think that's the norm. I've bought 20+ watches through member sales here, and all of my experiences have been positive. I much prefer to buy from members than foreign dealers FWIW...

idontknow

Advisor
24/5/11
Southwest
I think after I take a break from buying I will ease back into it.

Over on TOS (RWG) I am about to get lambasted for my neg review of the non-communicating, uber slow, lying shipper, but I have no appreciation for being played a chump and giving someone a pawn loan for just shy of a week.

From my DX using Tapatalk.

idontknow

Advisor
24/5/11
Southwest
And I understand about WBK's location. It was just the fact that he communicated well and shipped when he stated he would. When it comes to dealing on the internet and BB's, if you can't keep your word you have zero credibility.

From my DX using Tapatalk.