Announcement

Collapse

Please Consider Supporting RWI Today!

We depend on Supporter & Patron subscriptions to pay the bills. Please consider supporting RWI TODAY, CLICK HERE for info on how to subscribe.
See more
See less

Breguet 5177 Photo review (gifs!)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone know if the newer FK & MK reps have a twist off or snap on caseback?

Comment

Originally posted by majwilliams0308 View Post
      The enamel dial should have white and black DWO. The silver guilloche dials should have silver background
      So are the guilloche dials that the TDs call "white" really silver? I seem to remember you having a guilloche for sale a few months ago and it looked true white.
      GEN - 1982 Rolex 16013 "American Psycho" Champagne Tapestry Datejust; Omega 38.5 "Skyfall" blue AT; 1999 Omega 2531.80; Hamilton K454 "Sputnik"; 1967 Bulova Accutron 218D; Seagull 1963 Chronograph reissue
      REP - Rolex Explorer 5500 Gilt Dial gen case; 1988 Rolex 16610 TC Franken; V6F v2.5 Omega SM300 "Spectre"; Cartel Rolex 6238 Pre-Daytona; Johnny Lazar "Goldfinger" Rolex 6538; Rolex 6542 Albino GMT
      WISH - Rolex 5513 rep or Franken; Omega Moonwatch gen

Comment

MK isn't a super rep because

1. The enamel dial has super thick font
        2. The straps are garbage compared to gen (FK's straps are almost like gen)
        3. The date wheels of the guilloche dials don't have a silver backing.
        4. The hands don't have the length and finish of the gen. The seconds hand needs to taper a bit more at the end.

There is still room for improvement needed.
        V2 is out
        https://www.intime04.co/breguet/6172...her-a777q.html
        What do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by VMSG View Post
          Similar to before. I spent a great deal looking at these pics.

I see virtually no improvement over the initial V1. This just seems like a new batch. Here are the cons:

- Enamel dial still same thick font
          - Enamel dial has a particularly steep 'cut out' for the DW. whereas the FK is a bit more gentle like the gen
          - Guilloche dials look to not be improved at all
          - Straps are the same garbage
          - Hour and minute hands aren't as finely finished as FK

However, MK still is desirable. If you want one of the guilloche dials, it's REALLY good. In fact, the hour hand reaches to the correct part of the dial, whereas the FK falls a bit short. The main con to the guilloche dial is the date disc lacks the silver finish.

The best overall rep is still an MK base watch with FK strap, enamel dial and minute hand.
          Last edited by majwilliams0308; 13-04-19, 19:19.

Comment

Similar to before. I spent a great deal looking at these pics.

I see virtually no improvement over the initial V1. This just seems like a new batch. Here are the cons:

- Enamel dial still same thick font
            - Enamel dial has a particularly steep 'cut out' for the DW. whereas the FK is a bit more gentle like the gen
            - Guilloche dials look to not be improved at all
            - Straps are the same garbage
            - Hour and minute hands aren't as finely finished as FK

However, MK still is desirable. If you want one of the guilloche dials, it's REALLY good. In fact, the hour hand reaches to the correct part of the dial, whereas the FK falls a bit short. The main con to the guilloche dial is the date disc lacks the silver finish.

The best overall rep is still an MK base watch with FK strap, enamel dial and hour and minute hands.
            Thank you for the detailed answer!
            Can you elaborate what is wrong with the guilloche dials?
            and what do you mean by saying that the hands aren't as finely finished as FK?

Thanks mate!

Comment

Originally posted by VMSG View Post

Thank you for the detailed answer!
              Can you elaborate what is wrong with the guilloche dials?
              and what do you mean by saying that the hands aren't as finely finished as FK?

Thanks mate!
              Just made these:

As for the guilloche comparison, you just can't beat a real Guilloche effect carved into silver (as opposed to stamped):

Granted, much different angle and lighting conditions, but having handled a gen and the FK, I can easily say the FK came closer than the MK, but the reps are FAR off from that shimmer effect on the polished areas.

Comment

Just made these:

As for the guilloche comparison, you just can't beat a real Guilloche effect carved into silver (as opposed to stamped):

Granted, much different angle and lighting conditions, but having handled a gen and the FK, I can easily say the FK came closer than the MK, but the reps are FAR off from that shimmer effect on the polished areas.
                Thank you!
                I see what you mean about the hands now. I don't see how FK is closer to the gen, but I guess I have to see it in person...
                Last edited by VMSG; 15-04-19, 18:53.

Comment

Working...
                X